Sign in to follow this  
Korneel

Arma 3 - Developer's Livestream

Matt said something that I thought was a really good explanation of some of the thinking behind Arma 3.

In response to a question about the inertia and sway; he said that he talked to one of the other developers, and they explained it to him that:

If you are simulating something, you are trying to replicate precisely the forces at work/process in a given system. In this context and given the nature of representing essentially a 3D force into a 2D environment, you need to abstract the inputs and outputs as you will never be able to simulate 100%.

I thought that was good insight into thinking about systems in games and wanted to share for other interested parties (abstraction vs simulation).

BTW - That's what I remember from what he said. It's definitely not verbatim. I may be wrong about the meaning so feel free to correct if I've got the wrong end of the stick.

Edited by Das Attorney

Matt said something that I thought was a really good explanation of some of the thinking behind Arma 3.

In response to a question about the inertia and sway; he said that he talked to one of the other developers, and they explained it to him that:

If you are simulating something, you are trying to replicate precisely the forces at work/process in a given system. In this context and given the nature of representing essentially a 3D force into a 2D environment, you need to abstract the inputs and outputs as you will never be able to simulate 100%.

I thought that was good insight into thinking about systems in games and wanted to share for other interested parties (abstraction vs simulation).

BTW - That's what I remember from what he said. It's definitely not verbatim. I may be wrong about the meaning so feel free to correct if I've got the wrong end of the stick.

That's an interesting one, thanks for sharing. Though you also have to keep in mind that the environment, in which they simulate these aspects, is not a perfect copy of the real world itself. To quote the most popular example: The weapon resting possibility of the real world is not in the game thus the (abstracted) model of inertia and sway must be adapted to this missing component. (I really don't want to start a discussion about these details here, there's plenty of threads covering that.) My point is, they probably shouldn't mind a 100% perfect simulation but a good gameplay - it's a game after all (well, at least to me it is). That should be the major driver, not the perfect simulation of real world aspects. It's not like we're running scientific experiments here.^^

@Topic: Likely a nice stream, like the other two. I've just skipped through the recording and watched like five minutes in total as I'm not really interested in MP. However, I'd love to see a playthrough of another campaign episode. Or maybe even playthroughs the MANW projects once the contest is over!

Oh no I totally agree. There's definitely a point where simulating controls and effects becomes rivet counting and stops being a useful game system.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who pricked their ears up at that. It's a complete and detailed answer, perhaps it give an insight not only into the thinking behind the game but also into his area of expertise.

I also thought it was brave of him to take a user mission coop and play it publicly. We all know what chaos can occur in such games.

I also thought it was brave of him to take a user mission coop and play it publicly. We all know what chaos can occur in such games.

Oh, there was chaos! The look on Matt's face when he discovered he had accidentally teleported himself out of the pilot seat of a Mohawk...

mlwc_zpsf0d83340.jpg

All in all, a great way to spend a Friday morning.

Dwarden also said that he is still fighting for a proper weapon resting system on all solid edges, vertical, horizontal, etc.

Oh, there was chaos! The look on Matt's face when he discovered he had accidentally teleported himself out of the pilot seat of a Mohawk...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a297/Dotanuki/Screens/mlwc_zpsf0d83340.jpg

All in all, a great way to spend a Friday morning.

Funny feeling when helicopter crashes out of a blue, switched to stream and watched

Matt surprised face :D

Thanks to anyone posting response about developers words!

Edited by enex

We've just gone live on Twitch for a 'Firing From Vehicles & Slingloading' competition with Arma 3's Associate Producer Matt Lightfoot, Encoding Lead Petr Kolar, and Creative Director Jay Crowe!

Dwarden also said that he is still fighting for a proper weapon resting system on all solid edges, vertical, horizontal, etc.

Which video ? When ? Who ? I need to know everything :yay:

He's been saying that since pre-A3 so... yeah. But at least there is hope.