Shelestov

Orshanets terrain 12.8x12.8km (Ukraine)

Just some work on tree bark texture, custom clutter and new sat/blend on a small test chunk.

Spoiler

107410_20200108104204_1.png

X3JcjuPJHdA.png

107410_20200224123604_1.png

• Like 18

Spoiler

107410_20200406123254_1.png

107410_20200405121741_1.png

107410_20200405100240_1.png

107410_20200402112327_1.png

More sat and clutter tests

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Nice to see you're still working on this map! Its been one of my favourites since its release! 

• Like 2

As armaholic is closed, ... possibility to have a non-Steam download too ? 

thanks

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Shelestov said:

Just some WIP house (on Livonia).

Ohhh so great to see this still being worked on 😄

• Like 2

Hello, friends.

After years of development of Orshanets terrain we now have Reforger and hopefully Arma4 in the future, so we decided to move our efforts there and release the latest dev crop for Arma3 as a goodbye.

Obviously, this is NOT a finished product, so do not expect it to be anywhere near perfect and very performance heavy/UNoptimized. Just a peek of what the whole thing was moving towards. No further updates are planned for Arma3.

- DEM is replaced as is with the one, photogrammetried from a drone imagery (~2019), mostly raw and unedited. This is our first attempt in photogrammetry, so the quality of the heightmap is lacking, but shows the potential of such an approach for 1:1 real world terrains.
- Satellite texture is replaced with the drone one, raw, unedited, except for levels range. Buildings, shadows, etc. were not removed as they should've been.
- Surface mask is replaced with the one, automatically classified from the mentioned drone imagery with no further edits.
- Most of the vegetation is replaced by livonian counterparts which gives a more consistent look at the expense of diversity.
- Clutter is early test models.
- Detailed terrain textures are custom test ones.
- Terrain config now inherits Livonia instead of Stratis.

Due to replacement (as is) of DEM and vegetation there is a position shift for most objects, as well as their mismatch with satellite texture in certain areas.
Finishing even this small piece to "production" state would require too much time and effort (for soon to become obsolete engine with outdated workflow) which I'd rather spend on moving the whole project to Enfusion.

For the ones who followed the development and waited patiently these changes may not look impressive (and you are right), but some research and test stuff is left behind the scenes and is not going to waste, it will be later used for Reforger/A4.
Could've we done much more during these years? Absolutely. Not to mention procrastination, there's no excuse for it, but the whole thing turned to much bigger than initially planned in terms of both our capabilities in certain aspects and additional work required to implement these capabilities, as well as higher standards we now aim for.
From "let's grab some free satellite imagery, ugly 30m heightmap, arrange some existing objects from A1/2/3 (though they did not fit into setting even back in 2013) in realistic 1:1 manner and that'll do" to "we need authentic diverse quality vegetation, we need authentic buildings/fences/etc, we need hi resolution DEM and sat".

What's next? There's plenty of work ahead, we are not giving up. Enfusion is waiting, and there's still room for unreasonably big ambitions some nice features and higher quality standards.
Orshanets for Enfusion is not going to be the same, at least initially. Our first goal will be a smaller, but fully finished terrain (maybe different area with the same approach). And then we'll see. Anyway, before the war ends we can't fly a drone to get the proper data. So we have to work with what we have now.

Hopefully we can pull this off.

Regards.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

@Shelestov

aj ! 

Like many, I'm impressed of your map. I understand you now moved to Reforger; I understand this was a WIP.

Please correct me if wrong: -The latest of your Arma 3 Orshanets map is about the size of 1.6 Km. This is the dev version right ?

-So please, why is Orshanets referred as a 12.8 x 12.8 Km map ? Is there a way to get this wayyy biggest map ?

My thoughts was like...well, the dev version must be the latest, and the biggest obviously.

thanks ! 🙂

On 7/12/2023 at 12:11 PM, RegenConcrete said:

@Shelestov

aj ! 

Like many, I'm impressed of your map. I understand you now moved to Reforger; I understand this was a WIP.

Please correct me if wrong: -The latest of your Arma 3 Orshanets map is about the size of 1.6 Km. This is the dev version right ?

-So please, why is Orshanets referred as a 12.8 x 12.8 Km map ? Is there a way to get this wayyy biggest map ?

My thoughts was like...well, the dev version must be the latest, and the biggest obviously.

thanks ! 🙂

Yes, 1.6 km is the latest and final for arma3 version of the map. Initially it was planned as 12.8km.