Shelestov

Orshanets terrain 12.8x12.8km (Ukraine)

Incredibly happy to see that this mod is still being worked on. Those new assets look stunning.

What are the prospects later , at some point in time, in making a winter version of Orshanets?

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, badanov said:

What are the prospects later , at some point in time, in making a winter version of Orshanets?

no

• Haha 5

9 hours ago, Private Evans said:

With all the new stuff...will this still require CUP or will it be standalone in the future :) ?

I'd like all the models to be custom, but with one modeler it's impossible. And now there's an issue with contrast in quality with old Arma 1/2 assets, which i'm not sure how approach yet.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Shelestov said:

I'd like all the models to be custom, but with one modeler it's impossible. 

That's strictly speaking not true. :)

My advice is to seek consistency across the assets used, you have already committed enough work to add a unique new collection of new custom assets. Mixing them with older structures from even Arma1 will really impact that consistency and overall look and feel of the terrain.

If your goal is to finish a terrain soon for general use, then using the older assets is your best bet.
However, if you enjoy the process of creating and progressing the terrain, then it's not an impossible task as you presume. It's just a very lengthy but also very enjoyable task well worth it. :)

• Like 8

59 minutes ago, mondkalb said:

That's strictly speaking not true. :)

My advice is to seek consistency across the assets used, you have already committed enough work to add a unique new collection of new custom assets. Mixing them with older structures from even Arma1 will really impact that consistency and overall look and feel of the terrain.

If your goal is to finish a terrain soon for general use, then using the older assets is your best bet.
However, if you enjoy the process of creating and progressing the terrain, then it's not an impossible task as you presume. It's just a very lengthy but also very enjoyable task well worth it. :)

>Mixing them with older structures from even Arma1 will really impact that consistency and overall look and feel of the terrain.

Yeah, this is what i'd like to avoid, so, we'll try to replace all we can in reasonable time, hopefully. I can't say that i enjoy the process, more like i feel like i have to do this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Shelestov said:

I can't say that i enjoy the process, more like i feel like i have to do this.

Oh, I may draw some strong negative sentiment for saying this: In my experience this is a bad mindset.

Let me explain:

It is my strongest belief that modding must be for the personal enjoyment of creating the mod. Every minute you spend making an addon, you are spending a minute on yourself. Either as personal recreation or as skill development. To me, the fun in modding comes from a combination of both of these. A challenge to go further and farther than I have before.

At no point am I making a mod for anyone else but me. A release is always just a bonus. Nobody has a right to it: You release an addon when you are happy and done with it (for the time).

If you feel like you have to release it because of some outside pressure, be it promises to the community or other, it's not a stress-free hobby anymore, and therefore not a recreation. You will burn out, stress out over it, get annoyed with the project and worst of all, it becomes a chore. Nobody likes doing chores, and chores generally do not result in great work. (Unless you're a paid professional, where it becomes your job to do this. And you have to be, well, professional, about it)

As an example, I needed to place about 130 direction signs on my current map project. Each sign being a unique combo of distance and destination-name. I was dreading to do it, because I knew it would be soul-crushing mind numbing boring work. I overcame this by finding a new and better way. Spent a bit of time honing my scripting/programming skills, and at the end of that I was able to generate all 130 direction signs in exactly 1.5 seconds. It was fun to do because I learned new things, new methods, new ways to tackle tasks that seem huge and full of despair. Learned bit of extra scripting, too, and so on. The time was well worth spent honing my own set of skills and tools. That's why I mod. That's why I think you should mod and continue with your high standards. You've figured out how to make really great looking vegetation. That puts you in the top 0.1% of mod makers. If you can do that, you can do the rest. :)

Now all this comes with a big fat huge escape-clause:

If your modding activity is serving as a portfolio project to seek (future) job opportunities. Then you'll just have to bite down and suffer through it, but also maybe it's not the best profession to go into.

I hope this wasn't too off-topic. :O

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, mondkalb said:

Oh, I may draw some strong negative sentiment for saying this: In my experience this is a bad mindset.

Let me explain:

It is my strongest belief that modding must be for the personal enjoyment of creating the mod. Every minute you spend making an addon, you are spending a minute on yourself. Either as personal recreation or as skill development. To me, the fun in modding comes from a combination of both of these. A challenge to go further and farther than I have before.

At no point am I making a mod for anyone else but me. A release is always just a bonus. Nobody has a right to it: You release an addon when you are happy and done with it (for the time).

If you feel like you have to release it because of some outside pressure, be it promises to the community or other, it's not a stress-free hobby anymore, and therefore not a recreation. You will burn out, stress out over it, get annoyed with the project and worst of all, it becomes a chore. Nobody likes doing chores, and chores generally do not result in great work. (Unless you're a paid professional, where it becomes your job to do this. And you have to be, well, professional, about it)

As an example, I needed to place about 130 direction signs on my current map project. Each sign being a unique combo of distance and destination-name. I was dreading to do it, because I knew it would be soul-crushing mind numbing boring work. I overcame this by finding a new and better way. Spent a bit of time honing my scripting/programming skills, and at the end of that I was able to generate all 130 direction signs in exactly 1.5 seconds. It was fun to do because I learned new things, new methods, new ways to tackle tasks that seem huge and full of despair. Learned bit of extra scripting, too, and so on. The time was well worth spent honing my own set of skills and tools. That's why I mod. That's why I think you should mod and continue with your high standards. You've figured out how to make really great looking vegetation. That puts you in the top 0.1% of mod makers. If you can do that, you can do the rest. :)

Now all this comes with a big fat huge escape-clause:

If your modding activity is serving as a portfolio project to seek (future) job opportunities. Then you'll just have to bite down and suffer through it, but also maybe it's not the best profession to go into.

I hope this wasn't too off-topic. :O

>because of some outside pressure

More like inside pressure.

Well, i know i can deliver quality better than many others, but the main issue is that i have to actually do it. Knowing how doesn't help much. What helps a little is that i know that if i won't do it -- nobody will.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Ok, guys. We might need some help in terms of creating assets, if anyone want to join -- you are welcome. PM me here or Discord (better) -- Shelestov#6717

• Like 1

Apple tree assembled with 10 scanned hi-poly leaves.

unknown.png

• Like 19

Thanks, i had only seen the armaholic page, which says cup terrains complete

Looks brilliant mate good job!

• Thanks 1

My GPU started screaming and ran off. Looks great!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Spoiler

EAWYtg_XYAUXnkK?format=jpg&name=4096x409

EAWYthAXYBAhr02?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Finally some hi-res DEM incoming. Coverage is poor though.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

On 4/11/2018 at 10:52 PM, mondkalb said:

You've figured out how to make really great looking vegetation. That puts you in the top 0.1% of mod makers. If you can do that, you can do the rest. 🙂

I couldn't agree more. The dude has some serious skills at creating realistic surrounding. Whenever I put my character in the middle of a completed village in this terrain, I feel like I'm in some real world places. Nothing like that so far in game Arma.

• Like 3