Shelestov

Orshanets terrain 12.8x12.8km (Ukraine)

Looks really comfy, great job. I don't want a war there. Greetings from Kharkiv, comrade.

Impressive stuff thus far chaps!

Wow Shelestov..!

This map is looking bloody fantastic..! :)

It's very impressive at how real the locations seem, not just randomly placed assets- you guys are putting a lot of thought and effort into this and it shows.

It's interesting for me to read your notes on your methods, and I look forwards to putting boots on the ground here.

It's a beautiful looking map and I wish you all the best with it..!

Marc

Wow Shelestov..!

This map is looking bloody fantastic..! :)

It's very impressive at how real the locations seem, not just randomly placed assets- you guys are putting a lot of thought and effort into this and it shows.

It's interesting for me to read your notes on your methods, and I look forwards to putting boots on the ground here.

It's a beautiful looking map and I wish you all the best with it..!

Marc

Thx, no special methods. You see how everything looks IRL and then you just reproduce it. That is all.

Maps almost never are realistic because realism strongly affects gameplay and performance: IRL there are many areas that are just EMPTY spaces with grass, and on the other hand there are areas which contain enormous amount of objects (performance hit, ai pathfinding), so IRL land is highly inhomogeneous, and it is not suitable for games because it narrows gameplay even though it may look good. I think this is at least few of the reasons why mapmakers avoid to do MAXXXIMUM REALISM maps.

Yeah I agree map looks very realistic, good to hear its standalone.

Anyway just 1 critique, you put some of those short mesh fence things,(like less than waist high) you might want to throw in some tin fences behind those partially lining that a bit, maybe some wood fence mixed in too, I always see how backyards in ukraine/poland/russia have some pretty shoddy mixed up fencing, whatever works right :) would probably look good and give it more of a fenced in feel.

Also good use of everything man, even made post boxes. :cool:

Wow, the work you've done is quite beautiful! I'd kind of just like to plop down a civilian and maybe an ATV for travel and just explore.

Lighting on the map is gorgeous based on the screenshots. I do wish someone made some better looking trees/foliage, some of the old stuff from earlier arma games are a bit rubbish :\

Yeah I agree map looks very realistic, good to hear its standalone.

Anyway just 1 critique, you put some of those short mesh fence things,(like less than waist high) you might want to throw in some tin fences behind those partially lining that a bit, maybe some wood fence mixed in too, I always see how backyards in ukraine/poland/russia have some pretty shoddy mixed up fencing, whatever works right :) would probably look good and give it more of a fenced in feel.

Also good use of everything man, even made post boxes. :cool:

That is interesting idea, i think I'll find a use for it.

Amazing map, great work so far, I love the realism and density. I'm really glad to see people working on quality Ukraine-themed content.

Lighting on the map is gorgeous based on the screenshots. I do wish someone made some better looking trees/foliage, some of the old stuff from earlier arma games are a bit rubbish :\

Yeah. I think the best way around that for now is to use as much Arma 3 vegetation as possible, as it seems to render a lot better at all distances.

Yeah. I think the best way around that for now is to use as much Arma 3 vegetation as possible, as it seems to render a lot better at all distances.

Arma 3 has very poor amount of vegetation models, moreover half of them does not fit my setting. I think since BI has free access to Silvador, they could have made lot more different models, but they did not. I can only guess why... Performance or something. If i'd only had free 3k $.

How about joining "forces" with Argument who is creating this mod http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?182075-wip-buildings-of-russian-village/page2

IMO it would fit map very well, and give players some new building to explore with map, if you just put A2 building most players know them, also most of A2 building is closed - so no entry into it, for me it is very sad. Hope you will like the idea, map would be great to play with comeing RHS mod, so I am looking forward to see more of this map.

Amazing sights, the map seems to advance really nicely :)

Can't wait for the demo!

Edited by MistyRonin

Do you have any artists or modellers? A lot of those wooden painted houses should be replace by the red brick huts that are common in this part of the world. I have plenty of reference pictures from just over the border in Rostovskaya Oblast that I could send you.

Do you have any artists or modellers? A lot of those wooden painted houses should be replace by the red brick huts that are common in this part of the world. I have plenty of reference pictures from just over the border in Rostovskaya Oblast that I could send you.

the devs live in ukraine

The map looks incredibly organic.

VERY nice job so far!

Looks amazingly real - you have done outstanding work already. If this can carry over and be a playable map with AI and everything it will be a classic and a benchmark

-OP