Sign in to follow this  
John Kozak

Fatigue indicator poll

In your opinion, should there be an additional GUI fatigue indicator?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion, should there be an additional GUI fatigue indicator?

• Yes, there should be a non-intrusive indicator (like coloring/opacity of the current stance figure)
    • Yes, there should be a separate fatigue bar (like ShackTac's or another)
    • No, there should not be any new indications, I feel the current one is enough

Lets leave it at this, There are mod's and scripts to add indication for those who can't simply watch for real life signs of getting tired, such as bad aim from tired arms, or slower walking which is more noticeable than rainbow paint on a white dress shirt, it's always good that you can get ShackTac's stamina bar. Or, play on Ws.Arma servers and find they have a simple scripted stamina bar in. But in Vanilla, no stamina bar is needed what so ever. It's already in, in physical form. Breathing, movement, aim, speed are all effected and you can see it. If you don't you'll know what you can't hit a guy 50-100 in front of you, and he put's some lead into you first, in which case, if your that tired and you get injured, your beyond dead.

voted no. the less GUI elements, the better in my opinion. there is no such thing in real life and the current system (heavy breathing, slowdown) makes it perfectly clear if and how fatigued you are.

agree. And fatigue falls so fast that I don't know how a visual icon would make a difference if people are unwilling to actually try fatigue management.

To fatigued? Rest. No icon will relieve that necessity. And micromanaging it with a bar wouldn't mean the other effects are not there. But fatigue can be disabled as a mission maker needs.

Edited by twisted

I don't play this thing for "immersion", so voted for a separate fatigue bar (and pleased to see that "current is fine" only has a plurality).

I don't play this thing for "immersion", so voted for a separate fatigue bar (and pleased to see that "current is fine" only has a plurality).

Well a lot of people do play this for immersion and would actually prefer having all GUI elements removed (i.e. check your magazine manually instead of having an indicator)

But thinking about it again, it's 2035 so why not go for a more elaborate solution (that would admittedly also require some work):

The wristwatch that afaik hardly anyone ever uses, could be updated into a modern monitoring device for your bodily functions (and others) and include various indicators like pulse, blood pressure, distance walked, walking speed etc. thus replacing the need for any other GUI elements regarding health and fatigue levels. And you would be able to toggle it. And it would look more badass than a simple bar on your screen. Just a thought, though.

Lets leave it at this, There are mod's and scripts to add indication for those who can't simply watch for real life signs of getting tired...

Ha ha ha...

That is a complete bullshit - many times explained. Sorry.

---------- Post added at 13:51 ---------- Previous post was at 13:48 ----------

voted no. the less GUI elements, the better in my opinion. there is no such thing in real life and the current system (heavy breathing, slowdown) makes it perfectly clear if and how fatigued you are.

Do you realize that you have much more information about your fatigue state in real life and that without the GUI you make the game actually less realistic?

That's just another anti-HUD argument that does not care about context.

Why the hell should HUD have more priority than such essential information? What makes the game more realistic? Real-life-like amount of information or HUD-less screen?

And while we are at it, why the hell is the ammo counter still present in the game and nobody gives a damn about it if the HUD-less "realistic" experience is so important for you, "anti-HUD community"?

Ammo counter should be put out of the game, fatigue bar should be added to the game. That would make the game more realistic (in the context of how realistic a game can be, of course) than it is now.

Edited by Bouben

How about an option to turn on/off the fatigue indicator in game settings to please both crowds. Regarding a fatigue indicator, I would like to have a discreet bar that shows how fatigued you're getting as well as demonstrating your RATE of fatigue. A lot of players don't realize their fatigue rates when they're running w/a weapon at the ready.

The fatigue system is waaaaay overdone. No reason why your guy should come to a crawl just because he's carrying stuff. I know for sure that I wouldn't be walking so slow across the street in a warzone just because I'm "tired"

I know for sure that I wouldn't be walking so slow across the street in a warzone just because I'm "tired"

I don't do that in Arma either, why would anyone do so?

Edited by CaptainObvious
Nevermind, wrong thread for this.

Ha ha ha...

That is a complete bullshit - many times explained. Sorry.

Are you implying that when your fatigued in real life, you don't slow down, get tired, start to breath heavily, vision doesn't look as good because of eye muscle strain, and if you had a weapon, your aim would be off dramatically due to heavy breathing? Well, hold on, let me go for another run to test this theory.

Are you implying that when your fatigued in real life, you don't slow down, get tired, start to breath heavily, vision doesn't look as good because of eye muscle strain, and if you had a weapon, your aim would be off dramatically due to heavy breathing? Well, hold on, let me go for another run to test this theory.

No. The bullshit is that you consider Arma's fatigue indication as sufficient and so true to real life that it can be used without any compromises (indicators).

I don't want any new indicators and I don't care if it isn't realistic to have a visual indicator.

I hate HUD's because they are unimmersive/unauthentic for me. If I can turn it off in the options I wouldn't care at all.

I don't want any new indicators and I don't care if it isn't realistic to have a visual indicator.

I hate HUD's because they are unimmersive/unauthentic for me. If I can turn it off in the options I wouldn't care at all.

Well, to each his own. However, as you correctly state here: an optional HUD indicator would be a win-win solution. I don't know why is it so problematic for some people.

But thinking about it again, it's 2035 so why not go for a more elaborate solution (that would admittedly also require some work):

The wristwatch that afaik hardly anyone ever uses, could be updated into a modern monitoring device for your bodily functions (and others) and include various indicators like pulse, blood pressure, distance walked, walking speed etc. thus replacing the need for any other GUI elements regarding health and fatigue levels. And you would be able to toggle it. And it would look more badass than a simple bar on your screen. Just a thought, though.

I should really sue Apple. This is blatant :cool:

Shacktacs stamina bar is pretty unobtrusive, I use it all the time (offline).

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=26237

In terms of turning fatigue off the only way I know is if you made the mission. In the Units Initialization, put: this enablefatigue false;

Heres also a version that works in MP-mode, when respawning, suggested by Das Attorney. I tested it yesterday locally (LAN).

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?183162-Can-you-turn-off-fatigue

Is there an option to turn fatigue OFF?? in SP?
In terms of turning fatigue off the only way I know is if you made the mission. In the Units Initialization, put: this enablefatigue false;

Heres also a version that works in MP-mode, when respawning, suggested by Das Attorney. I tested it yesterday locally (LAN).

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?183162-Can-you-turn-off-fatigue

You could also make an addon that initializes that command on every unit automatically, which should work fine for SP.