Sign in to follow this  
John Kozak

Fatigue indicator poll

In your opinion, should there be an additional GUI fatigue indicator?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion, should there be an additional GUI fatigue indicator?

• Yes, there should be a non-intrusive indicator (like coloring/opacity of the current stance figure)
    • Yes, there should be a separate fatigue bar (like ShackTac's or another)
    • No, there should not be any new indications, I feel the current one is enough

To gather up some statistics on the topic debated in the Fatigue feedback thread, here is a poll concerning the fatigue indication proposed there. Feel free to augment your answer with comments.

voted no. the less GUI elements, the better in my opinion. there is no such thing in real life and the current system (heavy breathing, slowdown) makes it perfectly clear if and how fatigued you are.

Voted no. I don't need it. The current indications are more than enough for me.

I could also vote for the "Yes, there should be a separate fatigue bar (like ShackTac's or another)", because there already is and any mission maker can add one to their scenarios. I don't mind if see one in a mission, I'll just ignore it.

If the "Yes, there should be a non-intrusive indicator" means everyone would be forced to see it, then hell no.

By the way, I feel that poll results on this forum are far from valid statistic. We are a very small fraction of the player base and a very bad cross section of it.

Even the poll "Do you think the new DLC system is a good idea?" got only 386 votes, while there's 1 million people who own the game.

Edited by Greenfist

voted no. the less GUI elements, the better in my opinion. there is no such thing in real life and the current system (heavy breathing, slowdown) makes it perfectly clear if and how fatigued you are.

You are right, it is show the status quite good but it isn't tell you how your fatigue change.

You are right, it is show the status quite good but it isn't tell you how your fatigue change.

This is more important. Weapon up/down fatigue difference can be surprising. Bohemia really needs to hint that somewhere.

This is more important. Weapon up/down fatigue difference can be surprising. Bohemia really needs to hint that somewhere.

The lowered weapon thing is probably the only thing you need to know. And maybe the fact that wielding a handgun fatigues you slower. And of course that the combat pace is more tiring than running although it's slower. All the other factors are quite intuitive in my opinion.

I'd say by now most regular Arma 3 players will already have found out what stances and walking styles cause more or less fatigue. actually i think it's pretty logical also and not at all surprising. but i agree that there should be some sort of hint for new players, but maybe a regular pop-up hint would do...no need for a permanent indicator imho.

btw.

if you just want to learn the differences that certain loadouts and stances cause, you can still use the virtual arsenal and try it out there, since you get all the indicators you need

Edited by novemberist

While i am fine with the current situation the 'like coloring/opacity of the current stance figure' sounds like a very elegant solution, so i voted for that.

Is it possible to add the word 'optional' to the poll, as I'm fine if someone wants an indicator, but I don't need one myself.

Edited by CaptainObvious
typo

Is it possible to add the word 'optional' to the poll, as I'm fine if someone want's an indicator, but I don't need one myself.

I can't edit the poll, unfortunately... I suppose you can abstain from voting or just support an option you find more worthy "in general".

Or, maybe a moderator can add another option? ("I'm good either way").

I was hoping that the "natural" indications will be enough for the player to be able to assess his fatigue level. Since that is currently not possible, I'm using the fatigue bar addon. I am looking forward for something less empirical, and hope that the visual, audible and animation indications will be refined to be more indicative on the fatigue level.

Nope, sorry. I think only admins can edit polls.

I can't edit the poll, unfortunately... I suppose you can abstain from voting or just support an option you find more worthy "in general".

Aye, there's no need for me to vote strictly against an indicator but I generally think that less is better and non-intrusive is a must, even better if something like this can be indicated without exact numerical data, i.e that color changing stance indicator.

In real life you can manage your fatigue because you can feel it. Its the same as having a stamina bar.

Technically, you can feel it in game already. Listen to your character, and watch. When he starts to breath hard, hes around 60% fatigued. You can even see heavy breathing if your good at spotting it while moving, but it's more noticeable standing still. Anyhow, when you start to get them take a break. If you push yourself too much, you'll go slower than if you are to take breaks when you get exhausted. You'll also know your tired when your aim starts to sway. Take note of these.

I'm happy with as it is.

Remember ACE which is very praised and missed in arma 3?In a2 it have fatigue elements,

no bars, just vignette effect, tripping and heartbeat.It works, and so it does arma 3 fatigue

system which is built in engine.

Technically, you can feel it in game already. Listen to your character, and watch. When he starts to breath hard, hes around 60% fatigued. You can even see heavy breathing if your good at spotting it while moving, but it's more noticeable standing still. Anyhow, when you start to get them take a break. If you push yourself too much, you'll go slower than if you are to take breaks when you get exhausted. You'll also know your tired when your aim starts to sway. Take note of these.
I'm happy with as it is.

Remember ACE which is very praised and missed in arma 3?In a2 it have fatigue elements,

no bars, just vignette effect, tripping and heartbeat.It works, and so it does arma 3 fatigue

system which is built in engine.

^^These^^

I like that you need to check in with yourself by watching the physical threshold warning signs. Spent the better part of the last 18 years training others and myself in extreme anaerobic conditioning - that is, the short burst, high intensity stuff. Normal slow based, slow twitch muscle fatigue is far, far easier to gauge and monitor on yourself and for that -I could see something precise like a fatigue bar (of course it's a silly notion to make that distinction). When pushing oneself with lots of high intensity sprints while carrying weight and then needing precise fine motor skills would be far harder. Sure, a single 100m dash is easy to measure but not so much multiple dashes, stop aim, vault a fence, sprint again etc... Ive seen many tough guys/gals look like they have that last push for the finish line, fierce look of defiance and determination in their face -they believe they have the resource- only to stop or drop mid stride or worse, head to the bushes for some 'nature rehydration'.

In short, it's vague and a very hard thing to precisely quantify so I support current implementation.

btw.

if you just want to learn the differences that certain loadouts and stances cause, you can still use the virtual arsenal and try it out there, since you get all the indicators you need

As I said earlier, there is (among others) a fatigue indicator in the Virtual Armory "Try" session. So why not train it there until you get a feeling for it? It's not like it behaves totally random and different every time you play.

Colouring/opacity based indicator is absolutely unacceptable for colour-blind people. Please, think about us, colour-blind, too.

An ideal solution would be a number of indicators to choose from so that everybody can use whatever he/she prefers.

---------- Post added at 18:06 ---------- Previous post was at 18:05 ----------

As I said earlier, there is (among others) a fatigue indicator in the Virtual Armory "Try" session. So why not train it there until you get a feeling for it? It's not like it behaves totally random and different every time you play.

But it actually does behave totally differently every time your loadout is changed (you deplete ammo, you throw few grenades, shot few ATs...).

Edited by Bouben

I would probably use an indicator for a while, just so I can get a feel for the speed/buildup of fatigue with various amounts of weight or while performing various tasks. I don't think I would use it for long though.

For new players, some things are not that intuitive; like running with your gun raised vs lowered, or walking crouched vs standing. I know about them now, but only beacuse I read about it. if I was a casual non forum player I would just be confused/annoyed. BIS probably should have had a Indicator right for the start of the fatigue implementation, with the view to removing it when it was finished. This would have made a lot of sense to me.

Another reason that a fatigue indicator would be useful is bugs. I am sure I have seen some bugs where my Fatigue is incorrect while in a vehicle, or the fatigue not recovering properly in some situations etc.

I would think that It would madatory to run through LEARN chapter in arma 3 menu.

Before launch I didn't know a lot about fatigue elements.On top of it also offers mission

alike campaign to go along with it.

I would probably use an indicator for a while, just so I can get a feel for the speed/buildup of fatigue with various amounts of weight or while performing various tasks. I don't think I would use it for long though.

For new players, some things are not that intuitive; like running with your gun raised vs lowered, or walking crouched vs standing. I know about them now, but only beacuse I read about it. if I was a casual non forum player I would just be confused/annoyed. BIS probably should have had a Indicator right for the start of the fatigue implementation, with the view to removing it when it was finished. This would have made a lot of sense to me.

Another reason that a fatigue indicator would be useful is bugs. I am sure I have seen some bugs where my Fatigue is incorrect while in a vehicle, or the fatigue not recovering properly in some situations etc.

I, for one, am not a new player at all. I just hate stupid/irrational things happening around me. And that stupid/irrational thing here is the absence of information about fatigue of my avatar before I get him fatigued.

The loadouts constantly change with every mag emptied and every grenade thrown. Don't forget this little fact.

The loadouts constantly change with every mag emptied and every grenade thrown. Don't forget this little fact.

Well, I can't really say that I feel emtying a single mag affects the fatigue that much.

I mean it's pretty clear: you carry more stuff, you get fatigued more quickly. you carry less, you can sprint a little longer. what's so confusing about that? just don't worry about the nuances so much and rather develop a general feel for it. (if you play AT/AA soldier or Autorifleman you generally know you are carrying more weight and need to be a little more cautious)

and develop a habit of jogging (rather than sprinting) with your weapon lowered when not in battle. keep sprinting to a minimum and time it well (no matter the loadout) that way you will in most cases not have any issues with fatigue at all.

I voted for the stance indicator to change colour. If we are to have something visual in our HUD to show fatigue I think that is the only place it can go that inst intrusive.

Don't really get why a stamina/fatigue indicator could not be added, just make it toggleable in the difficulty settings, maybe even 'disabled' by default, and vòila; people who want one can use it and people who don't don't use it.

Very simple and doesn't need arguing back and fro for pages on end :p