teeha

GPNVG-18 Panoramic Night Vision Goggles

Sorry Warlord, I hadn't kept up to date with the thread. They look a huge improvement, can't wait to try them out. Also looking forward to the PVS14s (I like the RHS one, but they didn't make it fit default helmets so it floats 2 inches away from where it should mount) and the PVS21s.

No worries brother :) yeah its hard to fit custom nvgs to all ingame helmets. Custom helmets usually have different dimensions than vanilla. I personally make all my headgear to match vanilla, but teeha had the awesome headstrap idea which worked out very well for use with all helmets. Plus when not wearing a helmet they have a headstrap already in place

Yeah, I did a similar thing with my SAS Pack from ArmA1/2, so regardless of what headgear the unit is (or isn't) wearing, they still look "right". Its a good shout.

Speaking of the headstrap...

I'm doing an overhaul of it just adjusting some sizes and also making it so that darn battery doesn't float when you don't have a helmet on! That always bothered me and I need to fix it...

Excellent! I made an NV mask for the original Ghost Recon that mimics these. :-)

Is it possible to switch to the authentic view of the three joined circles? I see that you created the mask for that. Can I switch by simply renaming the files around so that one is #4?

Thanks,

-Doc

Doc., the real one looks more like the Medal of Honor one when you actually look through it than 3 circles. ;)

Doc., the real one looks more like the Medal of Honor one when you actually look through it than 3 circles. ;)

I wasn't clear in my description ... not joined circles as in, just touching, but combined into a wide view using three partially overlapping circles.

I don't know what the MOH ones look like, but when I made mine for GR I went by the simulated image that is on the company's site that sells them:

cache_320_320_0_100_80_16777215_GPNVG18_10.jpg

That image makes sense to me, though the upper and lower parts of the circles may be more or less off the top and bottom on your view. There is mask that looks just like this in the mod, but it's not the active mask. The active one is almost full-screen where as I don't think that's what the real view would look like. Logic dictates that the view is only expanded horizontally, not vertically as well.

I'd love to use the other mask, but whenever I change those two files around the mod stops working.

-Doc

Edited by Doc. Caliban

I think i ended up making over ten different views for the 18's. Doc PM me and we can discuss a solution for you

Hey guys. Great addition to the game. 1. The black bars in first p. view are not centered, is that intentional or a bug? Do you plan on updating or further developing this great mod?

Is this mod still supported?

• Like 2

The error is that class ItemInfo; is declared right under CfgWeapons. Delete that and the mod produces no errors (apart from the missing string table).

This is unfortunately something that cannot be patched away (Tried a few variations of "delete ItemInfo"; but since the original pbo will be loaded before a patch the error still stands for me. Feel very free to correct me if I'm wrong here. I'd be very happy to be wrong  :D) and the entry needs to be deleted in the original config.

• Like 1

I wasn't clear in my description ... not joined circles as in, just touching, but combined into a wide view using three partially overlapping circles.

I don't know what the MOH ones look like, but when I made mine for GR I went by the simulated image that is on the company's site that sells them:

cache_320_320_0_100_80_16777215_GPNVG18_

That image makes sense to me, though the upper and lower parts of the circles may be more or less off the top and bottom on your view. There is mask that looks just like this in the mod, but it's not the active mask. The active one is almost full-screen where as I don't think that's what the real view would look like. Logic dictates that the view is only expanded horizontally, not vertically as well.

I'd love to use the other mask, but whenever I change those two files around the mod stops working.

-Doc

It's like a pair of binoculars, when you hold them up to your eye you don't really notice the semiciricle, you get one whole image.

Only in this case you're gaining perifial vision.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/bRkrL0T9r1Q/maxresdefault.jpg

You only get the weird outline when you look at it from too far back

Well, I hope this mod is still being maintained, because I've got a weird one since Apex update.

I've managed to narrow it down to this mod, at least somewhat scientifically.  Damn shame because I love this and the goggles are in most of my loadouts.

It messes with helmets and items.

Specifically, lightweight combat helmets, and some others from other mods don't load with Arsenal.  It also frequently removes map, compass, and watch, but not GPS or Terminal.  It also effects when loadouts get reloaded to the character after respawn or teleport/halo jump.

Weird, right?  Totally fubars most of my loadouts since most of them have it.

It's not a conflict with another mod.  I tested it with just this addon.  Also, it causes this error on startup (and may be where other errors are coming from):

Anyone else getting this?  Seems like maybe not a lot of people used the mod.

Damn shame.  I hope the original author or someone with permission can fix this.

EDIT: OK, it's definitely this mod doing.  But it's also not the only 1.  I hate debugging! lol

It's a issue with most mod configs at the moment. There's a thread for it in the editing section

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/192259-config-errors-displaying/

• Like 1

Thanks Bamse. I'll fix that right now. To be completely honest I've been completely out of the loop with Arma and am just coming back to start working on modding again (I've forgotten a lot of it D:). I did add versions of the goggles that have thermal capabilities but my main focus will be updating the current model and textures as well as adding different goggles but it will take me a bit to try and relearn all the things necessary to getting it all working. 

• Like 2

I kept meaning to tell you, on the bottom of the battery pack, you have an inverted face, it looks like it's missing, but it's just needing inverted again. ;)

I kept meaning to tell you, on the bottom of the battery pack, you have an inverted face, it looks like it's missing, but it's just needing inverted again. ;)

Thanks for pointing that out. Chances are there won't be any model/texture updates to the current models and they are in the process of being redone right now. I know other people have already made versions that are significantly better than mine but just for the enjoyment of making something I'll continue to work on my mod and update it. :)

• Like 1

Updated mod v0.5 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

banner-420x120.png

Hey Teeha , you can upload updates or new mods to withSIX yourself now!

Make your own promo page, get the power to release your work at your own point of choosing.

To learn more, follow this guide.

Quick question...Why do the "recon" version of the NVG's disappear when they are equipped but not in use; shouldn't they still be visible at all times on headgear?

I think it is supposed to help keep the overall feeling of any given unit quite light. Having light gear such as assault packs, tee shirts and chest rigs with a baseball cap loses the feeling when a huge set of NVG's are strapped to ones head. I guess the idea is that when they're not in use, the character stows them in his bag or something rather than wearing them.

That is my take anyway, though Teeha is the only man who knows the true answer to the question. :)

• Like 1

That is the function of the recon version, yes.  Stowed when not in use.

I've tried to add the ACE3 NVG lines to improve the image quality to the ACE "Gen4" level, but I can't get a working mod once I repack it.  Using pboProject results in missing file errors.  EliteNess will create the pbo but the models are then missing in the game.

Any ideas on how to get this mod re-packed in a working state?

The three lines that need to be added to the base item class in order to work with ACE nightvision (and not get the default, lower quality image) are:

class CfgWeapons {
    class MyNightVision {
        displayName = "Banana NVGs";  // Name displayed in the inventory
        ace_nightVision_grain = 0.75;  // Amount of grain (dots) on the screen (more means more grain) - can be higher than 1
        ace_nightVision_blur = 0.055;  // Blur amount (more means more blur) - keep low values!
        ace_nightVision_radBlur = 0.001;  // Radial blur amount (more means more blur) - keep low values!
    };
};

The ACE Gen4 settings are zeros for all three values.  Still has graininess, but it's cleaner looking than the defaults.

Anyway, I'd love to just be a DIY guy, but for the life of me I cannot re-pbo this mod and have the models show up.

-Doc

EDIT: Woo hoo!  I had an older version of the mod.  The latest one packs up perfectly and works.  While still using the ACE3 nightvision module, the 18's now have the clearest quality instead of the default.

teeha, if you get into this again, and if you want to, you can add those lines right after the class name of the base model and set the values all to 0.  That will give your units the best results when ACE is in play.  The ACE Gen4 settings are all 0 as well.  There is still the grain effect and all that, but it's the best possible clarity.

Best,

-Doc

• Like 1