Sign in to follow this  
olli_

F-35C Lightning II

Any chance you could implement something along the lines of a weapon service menu, like how John Spartan and Saul implemented a service menu for their F-18's it would be much greater than having a bunch of variants that take up load space.

What do you mean by take up load space?

currently there are 2 variants, one with the external weapon stations (totalling 11 stations) and one "stealth" version without the external weapons (so just 4 internal stations). 3 Different loadouts can be selected via a variable you enter when you place the vehicle, and the optional gunpod can also be placed via a variable. So basically there are 12 permutations in total.. It would have been nice to be able to select each stations weapon seperately but with the weapon selector MFD setup i have it would be too complicated. I already have around 3000 lines of code in model.cfg just to handle the current 3 loadout system, so having 4^11 loadouts would be more or less impossible unless BI introduce some better MFD/HMD/HUD implementation (which would be long overdue i think)

I think with 3 loadouts and the optional cannon you can sufficiently perform all the various roles you would expect from a JSF. Its definitely a workaround but its the best alternative i could come up with.

You can read a more detailed description of the loadout system on my workshop page: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=306002630

Dont bother trying to download that.. I botched the upload yesterday but ill be doing another one today which will hopefully work better. Ill post the new link when i have it.

also thanks guys for all the kind words :)

Alright so ive done something now. This isnt an F-35C Lightning II anymore. Its an FC-37 Thunder. Catchy eh? Ive also adjusted textures and configs to rename a bunch of stuff.

Basically this is all to avoid any lawyers getting their nickers in a twist over me using some copyrighted combination of letters (better safe than sorry). The plane is still exactly the same. Ive only renamed some specific things that may or may not breach copyright.

As i noted earlier ill be releasing full source once im done so you can go ahead and rename it back to whatever tickles your fancy if "FC-37 Thunder" isnt good enough for you.

With that said, the new PBO is up:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=330990595

Its a new workshop entry (apparently there is some bug with the steamworks SDK and i had to recreate the submission) so you'll have to resub even if you subscribed to the old one (i removed it so you shouldnt have to resub... or then you do. I have no idea how the workshop works)

Really neat work, I'm impressed. The quality of the model and the textures it's outstanding. At the same level of the vanilla or better.

If I can add a tiny but, would be the lack of any effect in the reactor.

I hope you rollback the name in the future :)

Edited by MistyRonin

Looks fantastic! Could you please release this outside Steam Workshop as well?

Looks fantastic! Could you please release this outside Steam Workshop as well?

+1 on that, only because I can't seem to get it to work (I assume by design of Workshop) with my other AddOns using Non-BI-Launcher.

Nice Plane and well done.

If I can ask, are you gonna continue developing this little piece of art? The addition of some more weapons, like Maverick missiles would be really welcome.

Very awesome release. I absolutely love everything, the cockpit, weapons, animations, textures, 3d model.

Just wow, overall. Amazing contribution for ArmA 3.

Edited by dezkit

if i didn't know about this project and someone tried fooling me into believing this was made by the developers at BI i would fall for it. its that good.

its going to be incredibly difficult to choose the winners for the MANW contest.

My only complaint is that it cannot fly above 4000 meters. It's like the Buzzard was in Beta. It's maximum ceiling needs to be raised in order to compete with standard jets.

EDIT: Complaint number 2. I cannot see the model of the plane from first person cockpit view. THIS, is a problem. I like seeing the wings of the aircraft i'm flying. it's a thing... Also, i reckon the wings would be there in real life. Just saying. Great job though, like the model.

EDIT (Part 2): This... This is the best model of an F-35. It's so good. Dude, this, this wins my vote. I've been broekn for days with what to vote for, all the ccreativity, but this finally did it. Had a go with it, got into a dogfight, landed, did some touch and go's, and its great. Just need a fix to the issues on the two things i mentione above, and it'll be perfection. One more thing...

As a Canadian, i actually hate the idea of Canada getting this aircraft as a replacement for the CF-18. But, it's just a game, so i was wonderingif maybe after the competition, could you do a paint to resemble the Royal Canadian Air Force scheme? It's like a Tundra Greenish Blue. If not it's totally understandable. Truly epic model though. Good luck with the Competition.

Edited by DarkSideSixOfficial

Hey Olli_ ,

The pictures and all look very nice, the problem is that I really love to try it out but I am not willing to download it trough the steam workshop the main reason is that in its current stage it still bugs the hell out on me on many occasions, when i add items to my library e.g. addon or mission campaign on the workshop it tends not to download. I know it is not your fault that the download is not launched after applying the addon but it would tremendously help for those people that have issues with it to deliver a download to Armaholic.com?

Best of regards

lhq.

Tested, looks absolutly fabolous man, thanks a lot for this masterpiece!

(Ps, why rivets are inwards on the normal map? Afaik Rivets should be outwards, no?...)

Any chance to see an armaholic link?

It's really impressive, we would say downright a plane made by BIS.

It's really very very beautiful, animation of the cockpit is beautiful.

You are really very talented!

Any chance to see an armaholic link?

I would also like to download outside of workshop :)

New mod 0.3-beta available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

banner-420x120.png

@Olli_;

Soon you will be able to manage the promo pages of your content on our web platform and publish new content yourself.

To do so, please hit 'this is me' button on the page while logged in and you will get connected to your work.

For now you can send new content or releases our way through withsix.wetransfer.com or add your notification at getsatisfaction.withsix.com.

Hi Olli,

Beautiful plane !!!! Great work.

Maybe Im doing something wrong, but I am having problems with the loadout system and I was wondering if you could give me a pointer on what I'm not doing right. If I have the aircraft empty and placed in a hangar it spawns by default with no weapons unless I have the loadout in the initialization field like so loadout = "cap"; gun = "y" The result is the gun has no ammo and no matter what loadout type I choose it's always JSF . If I start the map flying it, it does have weapons and ammo for the gun, but again no loadout type other than JSF appears inspite of putting ATG or CAP into the initilization.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

==================================================

You are not registered on Armaholic, or at least not that we are aware of. In the future we offer the possibility to authors to maintain their own pages.

If you wish to be able to do this as well please register on Armaholic and let me know about it.

This is not mandatory at all! Only if you wish to control your own content you are welcome to join, otherwise we will continue to follow your work like we have always done ;)

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Love it, it's really amazing!

3 questions though:

-will you add a VTOL function?

-will you add afterburner?

-will you add a cannon?

Thanks!

Hey wiki, there's already a cannon :D

"To select a loadout, enter the following in to the "initialization" input when placing the plane in the editor (values are not case sensitive):

loadout = "jsf/cap/atg"; gun = "y/n"

Edited by Babylonjoke

Awesome mod dude! Keep up the great work! Love flying this in formation with the F/A-18X Black Wasp :P

Firstly, I would like so say that I like your addon very much. However I want to make one suggestion which would put it through the roof in my opinion. The modelling aspect is outstanding. I haven't gotton around to testing it, however I hope that the coding side of this addon is just as good as the modelling aspect. Hopefully I don't download it and am spammed by hundreds of RPTs :) however here is my one suggestion...

Make the paint MUCH more matted. All aircraft which utilize stealth do not have shiney reflective paint. The paint is always a very matte and non reflective. Remember: radar is simply using radio waves which is a form of LIGHT on the EM spectrum invisible to the human eye . If an aircraft reflects tons of VISIBLE light, it will also reflect other rays of light on the EM spectrum. In this case, it will reflect radio waves much more readily. If you made the paint not very reflective at all, and matte'd, it would put this addon much higher on the totem pole in my opinion.

All aircraft which utilize stealth do not have shiney reflective paint. The paint is always a very matte and non reflective.

The newest 'Have Glass' radar absorbent paint is actually pretty shiny:

F-22

F-35C

Same paint is applied to the topmost F-16 in this pic, while the bottom one wears the older F-16 paint scheme:

F-16 with Have Glass V

As you can see, 'stealth' paint is actually shinier than more traditional aircraft paint.

Article about the F-16s being given Have Glass V for the SEAD (anti-radar) role:

http://theaviationist.com/2012/08/30/have-glass/#.UN5r2G_AcZ4

Ah very interesting! Guess I can say I was just science'd. Great read, I stand corrected.