Sign in to follow this  
olli_

F-35C Lightning II

Hey everyone. finally made an entry on the MANW website this week and figured id also make a thread here.

http://makearmanotwar.com/entry/Za7p8ntdue

So yeah im making an F-35C for the contest, additional info can be found in the entry description above ^

Im completely new to Arma modding, and the engine isnt the easiest to use (to say the least), but im making slow and steady progress like a snail riding on a turtle.

Im primarly a 3d artist and have zero coding experience (which is cool because pretty much everything in this engine is made with code) :D

The plane model itself is completed, but i havent baked normals or textured yet (saving that for last because its the easy part)

however, I have completed some missile models for your viewing pleasure.

http://i.imgur.com/xMsBA2p.jpg (110 kB)

also heres a panorama of the High poly cockpit. The image is like 10000x5000 or something, so it may take about forever to load, and due to my nonexistent js knowledge, my panorama viewer might not be very stable or compatible with all browsers. I take no responsibility for anything.

http://triangulatemesh.com/envmap_viewer.html

Edited by Olli_

Looking great Olli! Can't wait for a release, also check your PM's :)

What tonnage is that? As per my PM, I'm on both Skype and Steam at the moment and would like to help where I can with this project, particularly in the coding. :)

The cockpit is moving on to the not-quite-yet-done but good-enough-to-post-pictures-of phase, so without further ado, heres an album of a test flight i just did:

http://imgur.com/a/tdB6x

The cockpit is moving on to the not-quite-yet-done but good-enough-to-post-pictures-of phase, so without further ado, heres an album of a test flight i just did:

http://imgur.com/a/tdB6x

Yup! really awesome!

Hmmm... one thing that strikes me unfortunately is that with the way that the engine's rendering that cockpit in those screenshots, the FOV looks relatively wide but then the canopy frame is very much in the way of my view... since the View - Pilot LOD alone is what would affect that view, why not adjust/rescale/remodel the cockpit in that LOD? It doesn't have to be 1:1 with the "exterior"/third-person view of said cockpit for which the resolution LODs would be used and those could be left alone.

Thats just how the cockpit looks.. im guessing its not much of a problem with the real version with the DAS so you can just see through the whole cockpit.

I did some ambient occlusion tweaking in an effort to make add some depth to the cockpit, the changes are very subtle but i think its going in the right direction:

http://i.imgur.com/gnR4d0I.jpg (155 kB)

also most of the album pictures were taken with the zoomed out view (i was holding -) so you can see more of the cockpit with less pictures. This picture is taken with the default FOV.

I know this is the C model with no VTOL, Is their any plans of making a VTOL version?

I know this is the C model with no VTOL, Is their any plans of making a VTOL version?
I ported the the BI version from Arma 2 months ago, though I'll note that IRL the -B can't carry as much air-to-ground tonnage internally as the -C.

My goodness that is jaw dropping! The way the smooth surfaces taper, the sharp but subtle highlights captured in the lighting, the way the mesh directs the light..the normal bake for the exhaust petals came out wonderfully...I'm blown away, so smooth and so many small details.

Is there any chance we might get a preview of some of your textures and perhaps rvmat settings?

I would love to see what combination of specular and rvmat specular settings you used to achieve such a wonderful metallic sheen.

Edited by NodUnit

Ill probably be posting breakdowns after the deadline. Kinda busy right now, still lots to do.

Theres nothing special in the rvmats, just a simple super shader with around 0.5-0.7 specular and 60-100 gloss. the exhaust is broken off in to its own rvmat so it has higher fresnel and base gloss in the rvmat

edit: oh yeah and im also planning to release the full unbinarized project and possibly some source files when this thing is done

Edited by Olli_

Any chance you could implement something along the lines of a weapon service menu, like how John Spartan and Saul implemented a service menu for their F-18's it would be much greater than having a bunch of variants that take up load space.

Any chance you could implement something along the lines of a weapon service menu, like how John Spartan and Saul implemented a service menu for their F-18's it would be much greater than having a bunch of variants that take up load space.

+1 and it would be easier for paint schemes.

Best Jet model made for Arma ever seen so far, it's fuckin perfect. You sir, deserved my vote

edit: oh yeah and im also planning to release the full unbinarized project and possibly some source files when this thing is done

Really? Truly? I will give you 1000 internet points if you do! That would be a huge gesture to the community!

@Olli_ - That would be truly awesome if you do open it up even a bit - can't wait for the release.