Sign in to follow this  
opendome

New CPU?

So Im getting pretty frustrated with the AMD FX 8350 I bought 6 months ago and the performance on Arma 2 and Arma 3 (MSO and ALIVE) and Im looking on ways to increase my FPS. Right now my rig is

AMD FX 8350

Nvidia GT660

8 GB G-Skill RAM

2 SSDs (Corsair for OS and Samsung for games)

Would upgrading my MOBO and CPU to an Intel make a large difference? If so what would be my best bet?

Thanks! Just wondering what other people are experiencing

Are you OCd? I have the fx 8120, 1gb video card, 16 gb ram. No SSD

Performance issues and solutions have been highly debated, and seems everyone has different results

However since our setups are similar I'll share my info

I have extensively tested every possible performance option just trying to get max potential from my rig

My best results(and consistent) were when I overclocked my cpu up to 4.0 ghz and beyond. For me this yielded major performance advancements

Have also OCd my video card to 1.1 GHz

I am very happy with A3 gameplay performance, and A2 is even better with these settings

I am no computer expert, just sharing my experience with amd fx cpu

Don't buy AMD processors, they're worthless.

Go for an intel i5 4690k.

Edit: Don't buy a new CPU for ArmA3, it's not worth it. Get the developers to make the software better before you start spending your income.

Thanks for the replies! I haven't done any OCing but each core in 4 ghz and I have a good SSD and a decent vid card and RAM but for instance, in Arma 2 when I host a MSO over LAN (even jsut by myself) whenever Im in a mid sized village and enemies spawn my FPS goes down to 15-20 and even more in larger towns. I have process lasso and have tried all of the tweaks and alterations but they havent helped unfortunately. I really dont want to buy another CPU but if Arma 3 is going to be anything like Arma 2 they won't optimize it. WHen I play ALIVE missions in Arma 3 I also see massive FPS drops

Are you OCd? I have the fx 8120, 1gb video card, 16 gb ram. No SSD

Performance issues and solutions have been highly debated, and seems everyone has different results

However since our setups are similar I'll share my info

I have extensively tested every possible performance option just trying to get max potential from my rig

My best results(and consistent) were when I overclocked my cpu up to 4.0 ghz and beyond. For me this yielded major performance advancements

Have also OCd my video card to 1.1 GHz

I am very happy with A3 gameplay performance, and A2 is even better with these settings

I am no computer expert, just sharing my experience with amd fx cpu

Also what performance options do you use?

I've done alot in the bios, like disabling safeguards(cool and quiet, cpu throttle, etc) only do so at your own risk

Also not unheard of for anti virus programs to interfere with arma series games, esp using steam

My current startup parameters are -high -ex Threads=7 -noSplash -maxvram=1024 -max Mem 2048 -nologs -world=empty

also using Asrock extreme tuner utility

All energy/power saving abilities are disabled

Thanks for your help bud! Those are all things I've already tried and when I host either ALIVE In arma 3 or MSO in arma 2 I get betnwee 10-20 FPS when in any decent sized town/village... so frustrated with this :(

Hmmm that sux brother. Could your internet connection or anything regarding the server be at fault?

yea its pretty lame bro, I dont think so, same situation whenever I host on LAN :(

So Im getting pretty frustrated with the AMD FX 8350 I bought 6 months ago and the performance on Arma 2 and Arma 3 (MSO and ALIVE) and Im looking on ways to increase my FPS. Right now my rig is

AMD FX 8350

Nvidia GT660

8 GB G-Skill RAM

2 SSDs (Corsair for OS and Samsung for games)

Would upgrading my MOBO and CPU to an Intel make a large difference? If so what would be my best bet?

Thanks! Just wondering what other people are experiencing

Lol i tried to create the same post, i also use the AMD FX 8350 CPU but with 16GB DDR3 RAM no SSD and a Geforce 670 GTX.

Is this CPU really so bad? I can run all games fine except ArmA 3 (Multiplayer) and the Hangar Module of Star Citizen.

I looked on this roadmap: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/tsimg/500/2014/07/GPU-Roadmap_neu_25_7-pcgh_140725085925449.png

In the end of the year there will be some new AMD and Nvidia cards, iam thinking of upgradeding to an Geforce 880 GTX or Radeon R9 390X and getting on of these new AMD SSD devices.

But if my cpu makes arma still go down.... that would be not good.

Edited by Clawhammer

yea the only games I have issues with are arma 2, OA and Arma 3. These are my favourite games I ahd an AMD FX 6100 and then upgraded to the 8350 during the spring because I didnt have the cash for a new mobo and intel (Im really kicking myself for it now though). I thought upgrading to the 8350 would at least make arma 3 playable but it didn't, (still get 10-20 FPS in medium sized town with medium groups of AI in OA and Arma 3). Im really debating about getting a new MOBO and an i7 but not if its only going to give me an extra 5 FPS ( I dont know how much of a difference it would make). If it made a substantial difference I would go for it (although I dont have a lot of extra money right now)

yea the only games I have issues with are arma 2, OA and Arma 3. These are my favourite games I ahd an AMD FX 6100 and then upgraded to the 8350 during the spring because I didnt have the cash for a new mobo and intel (Im really kicking myself for it now though). I thought upgrading to the 8350 would at least make arma 3 playable but it didn't, (still get 10-20 FPS in medium sized town with medium groups of AI in OA and Arma 3). Im really debating about getting a new MOBO and an i7 but not if its only going to give me an extra 5 FPS ( I dont know how much of a difference it would make). If it made a substantial difference I would go for it (although I dont have a lot of extra money right now)

Yeah, but you just have an Geforce 660 GT this card is very old and slow. The ask is now if a new graficcard can fix this up so that arma runs much better.

GPU doesn't matter, if you play multiplayer or having a lot of AIs fighting you will drop to very low FPS no matter.