Sign in to follow this  
Tyl3r99

[POLL] who bought arma 3 because of the game itself or community modifications

reason for buying arma games  

127 members have voted

1. 1. reason for buying arma games

• because of the game itself (Vanilla)
    • Community made addons etc that improve the game

Not really sure which way to vote: I bought it to make mods myself rather than for what other people might make. When I do actually want to play SP or MP I normally run the game pretty vanilla.

Much like Günter Severloh said; for me the modding tools and mission editor are as much a part of the core game as the MP servers or campaign and things, so I don't really see the distinction when it comes to my enjoyment of the product.

+1 (5char)

I bought Arma 3 because Arma 2 OA was my favorite game with mods such Domination or Insurgency.

Purchased because of mod since the lack of content in Arma3: with no mod or user addon i would never purchased it.

I was very happy (about content) of Arma2.

Purchased it because it's a great platform for tactical gameplay, for both COOP and PvP. Whatever mods come along are a bonus to the experience.

I bought it as I was a fan of the ArmA Series. Basicly, I got ArmA Armed Assault from my Mum's, Friends, Boyfriend who was soon to get ArmA II. I then installed it and straight away like any person does, to the Editor and Spawn a car. Drive around Sahrani and *cough* run NPCs over.

Also, I was like 8 so when it came to the first mission, I would kill the guy with the Rocket Launcher then use the transport Jeep as a shield. You can guess what my young mind then did next! xD

However, the one time I did decide to do this mission correctly, I was the lone survivor as everyone else had their fate decided to the Tank that appears at the end. By then however, I was injured so I crawled to the tank. Poor men...

When I found out that ArmA 2 existed, I decided that I probably wasn't gonna get it but not too soon later, ArmA III was out in Alpha for only £20! So I decided to get it.

Since then, I found the link to Stream ArmA II: Free.

So in conclusion, I bought this for the Game as in Reality, this is ALL the mission I have used.

Cold War Assault: ---

Armed Assault: A319 Troop Transport (or something, it was an Airbus though)

ArmA 2:Free: NO MOD SUPPORT

ArmA 3: Altain Airways set (Dezkit), F-18, Chinook

Vanilla>Vanilla+Mods. I rarely use them.

Edited by Michael007800

Definitely because of mods, the vanilla game would have never kept me playing for this long.

I bought it for the mechanics (Vanilla). I first got into ARMA2 when I saw CHKilroys videos about DayZ when DayZ first started getting big. The fact that you could turn your head and look a different way to the way you were aiming your weapon made me fall in love instantly. The addons just make the game better.

I bought Arma 3 because of Arma 2. I loved Arma 2 because it had a certain feel to it. Tactical play, a priority if you want to get any great experience out of this series. But not just that. Arma 2 had tons of content, but it was used in a way that was brilliant. I bought Arma 3, because i wanted to see the same thing, but done better, and to a certain extent, that's what the Base of Arma 3 sits on. It's simply missing the content however, but i already know the whole theme of Arma was changed, and they had to change everything because of it. Not only that, but the whole delay because of their DEV's going to Greece. Anyhow, the delay's aside though, i still love Arma, it's Unique. But all it is, is potential Energy. With the amount of things that are not in game that would make gameplay infantry wise, and asset wise more robust, it's simply potential waiting to be released. That's what i'm waiting for with Arma 3, and that's why i bought it, because of what it can be capable of, and what it will be in the end, in all it's glorious features and sandbox content that's yet to come.

Pretti much this :)

Bought it because a friend wanted to play with me at Altis, ended up playing it 10h and we play coop mission now

For me the huge degree of freedom when creating scenarios and using mods are the most important aspect of the whole series.

(I could not care less for the vanilla scifi scenario, its units and weapons. Still waiting to see some good WW2 units here. I44, where are you? :rolleyes: )

The ARMA series of games is OK at best, with out mods....

BIS did a wonderfull job of creating a platform where people can modify the game to be better and more immersive!! They created a good baseline... but i bought the game s for the moddability!! Vanilla SUX ASS

Edited by Lordprimate

Currently, there is no mod that I couldn't do without. I only play occasional ZGM sessions on public servers these days, so mods are not really required for my playing experience.

I've always preferred the base game, only because there is no standard for modifications so quality of mods is all over the board.

i bought it for the reason that the developers want the community to modify it. Open source games are epic.