Arma Server Monitor for Linux

< ASM for Linux >
 ---------------
        \   ^__^
         \  (oo)\_______
            (__)\       )\/\
                ||----w |
                ||     ||

ArmA Server Monitor (ASM) was created by Fred41 to monitor Windows ArmA 2 or ArmA 3 game servers: Arma Server Monitor (very small but useful)

ASM for Linux is the same thing for Linux Arma 3 servers. It consists of

• a shared library, asmdll.so that is called from Arma 3.
  • a small application, armaservermonitor that runs as a service on the game server.

REQUIREMENTS

• ASM.pbo and ASM.ini from from Fred41's GitHub page
  • A working Linux Arma 3 server.
  • The 32-bit runtime libraries for GNU clib and Gnome GLib 2.

DOWNLOAD

Current version, 0.5, can be downloaded here

Mirror: here.

MD5 checksum

e721fc7a18ba41719283ca1e5bd0a5bf armaservermonitor-0.5-bin.tgz

INSTALLATION

There are more detailed instructions here: Wiki - Arma Server Monitor for Linux

The quick start instructions are:

• Download ASM.zip from Fred41's GitHub page and extract that to your Arma 3 server directory
  • Remove ASMdll.dll
  • Change the names of the files from ASM.zip to all-lowercase letters.
  • Download the binary release of ASM for Linux from here and extract that somewhere.
  • Copy armaservermonitor and asmdll.so to your A3 server directory.
  • Move ("cd") into the A3 server directory and run the ASM service in the background:

./armaservermonitor -s &>asm.out &
  • Start the A3 server with the @asm mod folder loaded. You can do this using the -serverMod launch parameter:

-serverMod=@asm
    (Alternatively, you can put asm.pbo into the A3 addons folder)
  • From your Windows machine, connect the ArmaServerMonitor.exe GUI client to your A3 server.
  • Start Arma 3 and join the Linux A3 server. Start a mission.
  • Now observe the runtime stats of the Linux A3 server in the Windows GUI app.

MULTI-SERVER INSTALLATION

• If you run more than one Arma 3 game server on a machine, follow the instructions above for the first server instance.
  • For the other game servers, you will only need to install asmdll.so and the asm.pbo addon into these servers' installation directories.
  • Start the ASM service only from the first server instance.
  • When A3 server #2, #3 and so on are started, they will report to the single ASM service running from server #1:s directory.

CHANGELOG

0.1 Aug 29, 2014: First release

0.2 Dec 19, 2014: Fixed: hung server-side instances would make the client receive garbage data.

0.3 May 09, 2015: Show asmdll initialization in the Arma server log output:

2015/05/09, 9:08:08 "ASM.fsm started"
asmdll: reading settings from ./asm.ini
asmdll: extension loaded
asmdll: init successful, pid 20012, using slot 0

0.4 Nov 18, 2015: Fixed erratic CPS calculation that caused the glitchy graph in ArmaServerMonitor

0.5 Feb 14 2015: asm renamed to armaservermonitor, various bug fixes

Bug reports are welcome, either here, but preferably on the project issue tracker here

Edited by killswitch
0.3 better logging

So this monitors the activity on the server? I mean logs what players do so for example player A killed player B etc..

So this monitors the activity on the server? I mean logs what players do so for example player A killed player B etc..

1) Yes 2) No

Please see the original ASM for Windows thread to read more about what it does: Arma Server Monitor

Bump for version 0.2, which fixes a bug where wrong data would be sent back to the client if one of the server instances were unresponsive.

Sorry, you can add the asmdll.so to some other site? the link does not work and I is quite necessary. Thank you very much for the work.

You need to be root or run sudo to use this it seems?

Sorry, you can add the asmdll.so to some other site? the link does not work and I is quite necessary. Thank you very much for the work.

armaservermonitor-0.2-bin.tgz

---------- Post added at 11:19 ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 ----------

You need to be root or run sudo to use this it seems?

No, you do not need to be root to use this. However, the asmdll.so must be readable by the user that the Arma 3 server runs as.

v0.2 can not run at Ubuntu 14.04 64bit

./asm: 1: ./asm: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

v.0.1 can

v0.2 can not run at Ubuntu 14.04 64bit

./asm: 1: ./asm: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

v.0.1 can

Looks like I made a boo-boo when building that release. Try downloading it again (same file name - armaservermonitor-0.2-bin.tgz)

MD5 checksum for the working version:

3abb7e6237da7417c79d728375568cc9  armaservermonitor-0.2-bin.tgz

With the ASM core code (https://github.com/fred41/ASM) no-longer being supported, is there any chance that you (Killswitch) might take it over as maintainer?

I hate to see projects like ASM going dormant.

With the ASM core code (https://github.com/fred41/ASM) no-longer being supported, is there any chance that you (Killswitch) might take it over as maintainer?

I hate to see projects like ASM going dormant.

It is actually not possible to pick up ASM and maintain it - the source code on github is incomplete (no GUI source, the DLL source is a snapshot of an early version without the network and disk metrics).

Fred41 did a great job providing us with a nice tool to take measurements of Arma and one could imagine creating something similar using the github material as inspiration.

How would I trouble shot to see why I cant see any data in asm I can connect to the asm server but it never shows any data

Thanks JamieKG

How would I trouble shot to see why I cant see any data in asm I can connect to the asm server but it never shows any data

Thanks JamieKG

Remember to first start "asm" in server mode, before you launch the A3 server. Very briefly:

1. Start the ASM service ("asm -s")

2. Start the Arma 3 server

3. When a mission is started on the A3 server, the A3 server's log output should say

"ASM.fsm started"

4. Connect to the Asm service from your client and the stats should show up.

Thanks for the reply Killswitch

I start asm the process is running and this is the output

$ ./asm -s
client:      0
server:      1
max clients: 1
host:
port:        24000
log file:
interval:    0
Reading settings from ./asm.ini

I start the Arma 3 server and can confirm

"20:09:48 "ASM.fsm started"

in the log

I start the client and its connected to the asm server also when I connect the client ive noticed that my dedi spawns a new processes named "asm1"

but I still get no values

3NRU71r.png

Thanks JamieKG

I start the client and its connected to the asm server also when I connect the client ive noticed that my dedi spawns a new processes named "asm1"
Yes - "asm1" is the child handler process for the first client connecting (ie your ArmaServerMonitor.exe that is connected to the server
but I still get no values
You need to start a mission for the values to appear.

I use -autoinit but even joining the server with the mission started has no affect still no data

Hi dwarfer thanks for the reply yes im the same person I don't use the epoch start script but ive incorporated your edit in the script I use still it starts my server and asm fine but I still have no data Im going to try to use the epoch script later to see if I get any joy

Edit: update Ive now got this working problem with one of the lib files thanks to all who helped me

Edited by JamieKG

Edit: update Ive now got this working problem with one of the lib files thanks to all who helped me
For the benefit of others, what was the problem?

looked like I had a problem with one of the lib files "libglib-2.0.so.0: file too short"

but the error did not log untill I used the Epoch scripted with the edit from dwarfer

New version, 0.3, where the extension prints more logging in the Arma server log output. This way, admins can verify that the extension is loaded OK when a mission starts.

Example log output (in the "RPT" output aka stdout/stderr output of the arma server executable):

2015/05/09,  9:08:08 "ASM.fsm started"
asmdll: reading settings from ./asm.ini
asmdll: extension loaded
asmdll: init successful, pid 20012, using slot 0

Download links in the first post.

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

==================================================

You are not registered on Armaholic, or at least not that we are aware of. Soon we offer the possibility to authors to maintain their own pages.

If you wish to be able to do this as well please register on Armaholic and let me know about it.

This is not mandatory at all! Only if you wish to control your own content you are welcome to join, otherwise we will continue to follow your work like we have always done ;)

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Something to help people out. If for some reason it does not load try doing the following and seeing if you get any errors. A good output should be something like this

[epoch@epoch arma3]$ ldd asmdll.so
       linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xf76f2000)
       librt.so.1 => /lib/librt.so.1 (0xf76db000)
       libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0xf768e000)
       libglib-2.0.so.0 => /lib/libglib-2.0.so.0 (0xf7557000)
       libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xf738b000)
       libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0xf736f000)
       /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xf76f3000)

Hi,

Is anyone else seeing an saw toothing with the CPS readout on this ? Same hardware box, mission and players as a Windows box and the windows box is flat 50 ish the linux box is jumping between 10-60.. not sure I understand why.