zapat

GetTactical - a tactical-RTS interface

How come?

What's going wrong?

(I myself haven't played too much campaign)

On one of the ending mission "Game Over", if you open GTI you won't be able to quit. I don't know if that happen if you're alone, but it's pretty much guaranteed to happen once you have squad member joined you. Haven't really tried to narrow down the specifics. Something to do with character switch?

Edit: Okay, scratch that. I actually have no idea.

So, what if the 11th guy come out of your body? I sense something bad will follow.

You won't be able to exit GTI? Now that's strange. What part of the mission is this?
As I write on the frontpage, it is possible that GTI is not compatible with a given mission, since it tinkers with group setup. It adds an additional unit, makes it player, and selects it as leader and glues it to the last player unit. So any triggers checking for leaders/player and such can get messed up. But not being able to exit is strange. There is a safety mechanism in the only waituntil loop on exit, which should close the whole shebang after some seconds.

Edit: although adding units after init was run can cause some problems. Fixing this issue (need to check if units were added and re-run init)

if more than 10 units are in the group, they are not handled well by the tool. You can give them orders and such, but since I couldn't solve the changing tabs thing, 10 is max that can be plotted on top of original unit cards. So basically nothing really bad should follow.

Updated mod v1.11 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

banner-420x120.png

Hey zapat , you can upload updates or new mods to withSIX yourself now!

Make your own promo page, get the power to release your work at your own point of choosing.

To learn more, follow this guide.

Since then I played a little more, and well, it happened in the paradise found too. I probably have reported similar or same bug in earlier posts sometime ago.

And by "not being able to exit". I don't mean after pressing capslock you can continue to use the interface per normal, none of the button will work. If I press esc trying to quit the menu the menu bar will be gone but I'm still stuck in the camera.

Edit: GTI still seem to override my combat mode selection. Basically the next time you look at your soldier they are not in stealth mode anymore, presumably by your "GTI guy".

mmm: does this stuck camera bug happens on:

Quick command open, Top down mode open, Quick command exit or TopDown mode exit? Or none of the above but when eg. somebody is shot, something closeby exploded, etc.

about stealth mode: yes, stealth mode is overwritten by gti. I could make free to fire and cease fire modes selectable by mouse click - a feature I always use. The price for it (and it wasn't easy to be able to do this) so the price was to loose other combat modes. For me it's a 100% win, is stealth mode good for anything by the way? (I completely lost what are some vanilla feautes about, I am so used to micromanaging my men - in the 1 hour I am able to play in a month,lol.)

• Like 1

This mod is incredible.

Unfortunately, the gear feature seems to be broken for me.

I think that clicking the gear icon is supposed to open a custom dialog that allows gear to be moved between units. For me it opens the normal gear selection screen while still halfway stuck inside GTI. This happens, no matter which unit is selected, also if no unit is selected:

ufqiMk.jpg

if I hit Escape, it becomes this:

RY8aGE.jpg

Escape again takes me back to 1st person.

if instead of escape, I hit the GTI key, I get this error:

k7zYaJ.jpg

[bIS_fnc_removeStackedEventHandler] ID (BR_TACV_oefID) not found in event (onEachFrame) stack, unable to remove

***Also sometimes that error displays as soon as the GTI gear button is clicked.

I should be running the latest versions of Arma, CBA, and GTI. Just a squad placed in the editor. Any ideas?

Yes, this seems to be a bug indeed. 

The gear button in the addon version is supposed to open the default gear dialog. My custom advanced gear panel is not part of this mod.

Maybe I get rid of that button, it causes more harm than not. :) Thanks for the detailed report though.

Yes, this seems to be a bug indeed. 

The gear button in the addon version is supposed to open the default gear dialog. My custom advanced gear panel is not part of this mod.

Maybe I get rid of that button, it causes more harm than not. :) Thanks for the detailed report though.

Oh! well that's a relief, thought I was the only one. This is a fantastic mod... the rubber command is just some amazing scripting and so useful. Never thought it could be so easy to set up defenses like that. This has to be one of the most functional and useful mods ever made for this game.

You edited out the part of your message about Quick Command.

You gave me a very good idea though, I've always thought that something is wrong with that mode too. It was soo obvious but I couldn't take my head out of my ass., so the most elementary solution has been avoiding my head for what, two years?

:)

Why on Earth am I creating a cam in that mode and complicate the whole thing? And the bug mmm reported seems to be in connection with that as well. I can turn the unit too with middle down, we don't need a cam for that!! DANG.

I made some tests without a cam in  quick mode (and of course some alterations) and it seems promising.

And don't be that flattering: a tool containing breaking bugs can't be called "the most functional". We are not Microsoft after all. :D

The cam stuck happens when I try to exit with either caps lock or Esc when in top down cam mode. Esc removes the botton tab, but cam is still stuck. I actually tried to enter quick command when I know the stuck cam is going to happen. And it seems I can exit quick command by letting go caps lock okay. IIRC when thats about to happen opening map also triggers some sort of bizarre bug.

And there are times unit doesn't start moving when I exit GTI in pause, untill I enter GTI again, or briefly go into real time in GTI.

As for combat mode override, no its not a huge deal to me either. Yes I micro too, probably worse than you. I just thought they could react a little faster with weapons up.

You edited out the part of your message about Quick Command.

You gave me a very good idea though, I've always thought that something is wrong with that mode too. It was soo obvious but I couldn't take my head out of my ass., so the most elementary solution has been avoiding my head for what, two years?

:)

Why on Earth am I creating a cam in that mode and complicate the whole thing? And the bug mmm reported seems to be in connection with that as well. I can turn the unit too with middle down, we don't need a cam for that!! DANG.

I made some tests without a cam in  quick mode (and of course some alterations) and it seems promising.

And don't be that flattering: a tool containing breaking bugs can't be called "the most functional". We are not Microsoft after all. :D

Yep I edited because I figured out what was happening... I had mapped the GTI key to "alt", which is also the key for the gti mouselook scrolling, that's why it was going haywire!  so by default it's actually how I wanted it.

It does have some bugs that show themselves over time. I tried using it with the Hunter Six mission, which is basically a campaign in one mission... it worked well for the 1st few hours but it eventually completely broke and the mission is unplayable. I was doing so well too lol

I agree with removing the unnecessary cam though, seems like deep into my Hunter Six test as things started to slow down, GTI couldn't decide which cam to go to and would randomly cycle through them. Using vehicles and switching between players probably helped break it too. 

Yeah I would say generally the longer a mission run the more likely GTI will break. Some relatively minor malfunction start to occur then eventually something like a camera stuck happen.

Yeah, well, this was my number one reason not to release it as a standalone addon. But people were pushing. :) A lot of hacks are needed to achieve this result. A lot. 

But I've made a lot of simplifications to the camera system, I think it's the main gamebreaking bug, so I hope the tests will turn out well. I try to push it to the limits, and last time I could make the camera stuck, was when pushing Caps extremely fast until it stuck. Good news that it unstuck itself after one more Caps press.  :)

This mod is awesome ! Is there a chance you migh create something like this (even more simple) for Arma 2 also ?

Thanks a lot

Morty

Good news: the stuck bug seems to be fixed.

Test area: 450 units around me, 18-20 fps.

Test method: Caps-Esc as fast as possible.

Before fix: within 10 seconds it stuck at least once. reason: loading didn't finish until closing started, so half of loading happened after closing. So you actually got stuck in the garbage. :)

After fix: A lot of "GTI is getting slower than you." warnings, and zero problems in like 10 minutes of Caps+Escing. Bonus: no hidden units either.

NEW VERSION 1.12  (frontpaged as well)

FIX: Gamebreaking stuck bug now fixed at last.
CHANGED: Quick Command mode doesn't use a camera anymore, and you can move around while in it.

Well I tried to overwrite my campaign with earlier save and screwed up, now everythings gone... So I can't really test on the same mission now... But to me it doesn't seem to be how fast you tap capslock.

Well, if you have better steps to reproduce the problem, I am open to it.

This test seemed to be the only procedure, where I could constantly mess it up. This is a stress test of exiting with a lot more to it than how fast I tap the key.

• Like 1

U did it again Zapat! Outstanding job with Get Tactical. Downloading it now :)

Thing is I have zero experience with MP nor I feel the urge to gain some. So unless someone helps me with how to make it MP compatible, there won't be one.

I dont know what kind of support it needs for MP but if u have it loaded in a MP session you still can use it just fine. You just wont have the pause system for planing but everything would work fine I would assume ...

Zap you mentioned the combat mode override is a price paid for being able to order open fire/cease fire from GTI. Now do you think AI take over and start issuing command(from my mouth) like "rearm", "open fire", "get in vehicle" has anything to do with it? This seem to happen when I enter GTI, as if the group lead didn't switch quite quick enough so the AI get to squeeze out a few command? Also at one point when I order regroup, apparently the order actually issued is "join group", as if my squad member aren't a part of my group.