zapat

GetTactical - a tactical-RTS interface

Hey -wasn't able to get AI to successfully ascend the hospital by way of the side stairs. I can see the waypoint with the roof and green arrow above which appears to indicate a level change. However if I place such a marker on the stairs or landing, the AI goes to the 2d destination.

I am afraid such is only possible by setting pos currently, and not by actual moving. AI path finding is not that good in 3d.

My system gives the correct moveTo pos, it's up to the engine to follow it.

I am afraid such is only possible by setting pos currently, and not by actual moving. AI path finding is not that good in 3d.

My system gives the correct moveTo pos, it's up to the engine to follow it.

Sorry I'm not sure I understand -are you saying there is no way of getting AI to higher building positions using GT?

Edit: Ahh ,I see. You mean the GT can not bring up the building nodes. It's a shame BI doesn't give indoor more love :(

Edited by froggyluv

Now it was my turn to be incomprehensible. :)

What I wanted to say is, that although the correct 3D position is given to the unit by GTI, the units are not able to comply in some buildings. Eg.hospital, or the large barracks something (the one you have on Stratis too, with the balcony and stuff). 3D path finding simply fails in these larger buildings.

Only solution would be placing a unit to a position, but I won't do that for obvious reasons.

Currently, the default building positions magnet the GTI cursor, and if the unit is able to get near it (like 2 meters) it is setPos-ed to the exact building position (so that it will exactly be at a window for example). Still: it needs to get near somehow.

I see you posted on TPW thread. :) It's great when modders communicate when strange issues arise. :) Thank you for that.

Anyway, I did a little test to see when that hissing sound happens.

It happens every time I enter GTI real time mode and the player unit is >10m ASL. <10m ASL it never happens. All the while still touching ground, so not above terrain level.

Map: Altis (also tested on Stratis, Chernarus and Takistan).

Mods: CBA, GetTactical, TPW_MODS (and AiA SA when needed)

Locations: Synneforos @305.273m ASL (Grid: 065218), Almyra @3.19m ASL (Grid: 235183), SE of Almyra @13.4m ASL (Grid: 226176)

Units: 5 unit fireteam.

I waited for TPW fall to activate (10 sec) and then went into GTI real time mode.

At Sonneforos and SE of Almyra, the hissing wind noise started after a few seconds (~5).

At Almyra the wind noise never started.

So somehow, even though the units (even the extra one spawned by GTI) are touching ground, and even though TPW Fall checks if the unit is touching ground, whenever the units are >10m ASL, touching ground or not, the hissing sound happens.

I don't see anything wrong in both of yours code so it is kind of a puzzle why this happens. Either there is something in either or both of yours code that I'm not seeing or we have uncovered a BIS bug.

(NB! Posting this in both threads.)

Cheers

Edited by stlassen

Something for your enjoyment. ;-)

Wind sound fixed

TPW fixed the loud wind sound in his latest TPW_MOD release. :)

Bug: UI lock (intermittent):

Intermittently and not in the same situation, the GTI interface freezes up and becomes unresponsive.

I've also see a few times that the GTI tactical camera locks the UI even though I'm not in the GTI interface.

It usually happens if I hit the GTI key a few times quickly. There may also be some FPS lag, although not necessarily a lot (~20).

E.g. I accidentally hit the GTI key, release it quickly so only "quick comm" managed to activate and then accidentally hit is again (I wanted to hit the TAB key).

I was back in normal game UI except for the camera. It was the GTI camera but it and the UI was locked.

I could save the mission and reload it, which solved the problem.

Bug: Invisible units (intermittent):

Units become invisible. I only know they are there because of TPW HUD.

I started seeing it on enemy units. They would show up on TPW HUD. My AI team mates would start shooting at them. I can't run them over with vehicles. I can drive a vehicle right on top of them without hitting them.

They must be there as the invisible foes can shoot because I do get hit by them and also after several hundreds of shots, my AI units hits the and kills them.

This has so far only been seen with GTI mod loaded.

The funny thing is, switching into the tactical view and out again, would reveal the units, making them visible again.

Just a few minutes ago, it happened again, only this time it was my entire team, including myself, that got invisible when I switched to the tactical view.

Switching out of the tactical view, I'm visible again. Back in again and all is normal.

Cheers :)

Wind sound fixed

good!

I would need some steps to reporduce it. I cannot do it, although I am hitting the CapsLock as a madman for 2 minutes.

You mean team units?

That's bad....

GTI does make units invisible, but not team units.

What mission is it in? Isn't it possible that the mission tinkers with player's group?

I use a static var for that: BR_grp, which is saved only at the beginning. I went for this, since the same group is referenced like a 1000 times in my mission, and I was lazy to always (group player) it. We may try to go with this in hide/unhide script.

I would need some steps to reporduce it. I cannot do it, although I am hitting the CapsLock as a madman for 2 minutes.

I will see what I can do, but it is hard to reproduce. It's not consistent and it happens in different situations and usually when I least expect it to. Then when it happens and I try to redo the exact same steps, I can't reproduce it. So very difficult.

It may have to be a case of conflicts between this mod and other mods and the mission it self. I believe especially when things get intensive, heavy scripts and many AI units (although FPS is ~30).

You mean team units?

That's bad....

Well, yes, both team units but I've also "seen" enemy units as invisible, even though I was right on top of them and in normal game UI.

GTI does make units invisible, but not team units.

What mission is it in? Isn't it possible that the mission tinkers with player's group?

I use a static var for that: BR_grp, which is saved only at the beginning. I went for this, since the same group is referenced like a 1000 times in my mission, and I was lazy to always (group player) it. We may try to go with this in hide/unhide script.

Today I saw my team units disappear in WLA (Whole Lotta Altis) which is, as you know, heavily scripted, but I only see it when your mod is loaded.

Some days ago I saw this invisible enemy act (in normal game UI) in the mission DUWS.

I will have to do further tests to see if there is a conflict between your mod, other mods and this specific mission. It seems to be something that happens when there again are a lot of things going on.

All this may not at all be directly related to your mod. It may be some other weird bug from some other mod or whatever, that for some reason becomes very apparent with your mod active. I don't know, but it's there.

GTI does hide units. It does it constantly and it involves LOS checks for each team unit and _x, which are not cheap commands thus I need some delay between checks, so everything else has time to execute.

If there is normal amount of units alive, every unit will be re-checked every couple of seconds. However with insane numberes of AI (I don't know how many WLA uses, but seeing its fps, probably a lot) it can go up to tens topped with delay, and you are easily in the minute region.

I optimized it for my misison...

If we get rid of it in the mod then all the units will be visible = cheating.

So I have no idea what to do with this.

GTI does hide units. It does it constantly and it involves LOS checks for each team unit and _x, which are not cheap commands thus I need some delay between checks, so everything else has time to execute.

If there is normal amount of units alive, every unit will be re-checked every couple of seconds. However with insane numberes of AI (I don't know how many WLA uses, but seeing its fps, probably a lot) it can go up to tens topped with delay, and you are easily in the minute region.

I optimized it for my misison...

If we get rid of it in the mod then all the units will be visible = cheating.

So I have no idea what to do with this.

I see your point...

Hmm... I don't know either what to do with this. If I come up with an idea, I'll let you know.

It's good with these kinds of tests, though. Good to see where the limits are.

---------- Post added at 22:28 ---------- Previous post was at 22:07 ----------

Does the amount of units alive you check include vehicles?

I believe WLA has some clean up code that runs periodically and also some limitations on not have units active outside a certain radius or something.

Where I am right now in WLA, there are 31 units alive on the map and 51 vehicles, total 82.

I will come back with other numbers, if they change, as I move through the map encountering even more.

Sure. And 82 is a lot. It's easily in the minute category with delays. And with 82 units you do have delays.

My mission has like 30 most.

Edited by zapat

Sure. And 82 is a lot. It's easily in the minute category with delays. And with 82 units you do have delays.

My mission has like 30 most.

That explains it then.

Other than getting rid of LOS check, there doesn't seem to be any way around it, and loosing that check I agree should not happen.

One thing that might prevent those lock ups in GTI in missions with great number of units, might be to give the option to only have the quick comm mode and not the tactical mode.

I may be wrong, but it seems to me that this issue with invisible units "showing" up when they should be visible, only happens when I go into the tactical view. I don't know in which order you do it, if you do the check even before the choice of quick comm or tactical view.

My reasoning for this is, a mission like WLA and also DUWS and HETMAN War Stories, tend to focus more on the strategic side rather than on tactical fights. I hardly ever use the tactical mode of GTI in those, but I do use the quick comm mode a lot, especially to switch unit. Correct me if I'm wrong, but those LOS checks are not necessary in quick comm, right?

How about an option that may prevent just the tactical mode from appearing and only allow quick comm and thereby skipping LOS check all together when tactical view is not used?

---------- Post added at 07:33 ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 ----------

I'm thinking, in what order do you do the LOS check? I mean, do you check closest units first?

So I tried to use this mod, I hit the settings button and went to press the option for key, and something happened. The addon closed down and now I cannot reopen it. I have tried to delete the addon and also looked through the PBO for where I could possibly change the activation key. Any insight into this please as I would really like to try this mod.

What key did you set it to?

I strongly advise you to play through the tutorial, which is included in the Black Rain Project mission ( a mission being built based on this interface): you can set up the button there too (the settings are static), you will learn how to use it, and you can test it in a native environment so that you know later that what you should see and if the mission you are playing is ruining it or not.

What key did you set it to?

I strongly advise you to play through the tutorial, which is included in the (CANNOT POST LINK) ( a mission being built based on this interface): you can set up the button there too (the settings are static), you will learn how to use it, and you can test it in a native environment so that you know later that what you should see and if the mission you are playing is ruining it or not.

I actually didn't change it. I clicked on the change button then I pressed the Caps button again and it all closed down. Have tried it in a mission created with nothing else but players and the alive system on the map. I cannot get the GTI to open up at all.

edathome: I couldn't reproduce this behaviour, so I cannot tell you if its a bug or not. You can try the following things:

1. try a simple mission: eg open the editor, and place 2 or three units in the same group when the addon is loaded.

2. try the Black Rain mission: there is a menu when the mission loads, where you can re-set your key.

3. you can remove the file conaining the settings:

C:\users\yourname\Documents\Arma 3\Yourname.vars.Arma3Profile

Be warned! By this step you will get rid of the variables of other missions that use this file. So do this only, when there is no other mission you want to load later.

3B. You can send me this file somehow and I will take a look into it whether the GetTactical key setting got damaged somehow or not.

I loaded up Black rain and removed the Mod version from my mods folder. Having set my key in Black rain I have now put the mod back and it seems to be working again now. It must have lagged a bit and not assigned the key. All sorted now and having a little play with it, its a nice little mod. Cudos zapat for an original concept in arma 3.

Can you tell me more about the situation when you set the key?

Do you know something about fps?

Most important question: when you fired up Black Rain: what did it say on the key?

You may be right with lagging. What worries me is that it still overwrote the profile with a non usuable value. I may need to setTimeAcc to 0 when you open the settings to halt as much as possible to free some resources.

Edited by zapat

When I got the problem I started the Addon. I opened the settings window and pressed set key option. Then decided I wanted the same Key. I pressed the Caps button and the options window closed leaving me in GTI. But I couldn't close it. I clicked the cross icon top right of the panel. After that I couldn't open the GTI again.

After installing the Black Rain campaign/mission and removing the Addon on start up the key was set to +. This I don't understand as I never use this key.

I know a bit about FPS. Enough to know that mine on this current system sucks lol.

Would it be possible to have Q and Z as camera up and down?

I would prefer cam rotate on q and e! I see now it works with ALT and why RMB cannot be used, but ALT-Rotate for me also feels weird, I may get used to it.

Options for assigning up/down/lrotate/rrotate would be nice though.

Also an exit button for the preferences screen, to keep things more consistent.

I've put my gettactical key on numpad "," - where the ArmA tactical view is (which nobody needs :D)

Okay, I'll include the key rotation after the contest.

Just noted this mod after having watched Jester's video the other day - congratulations, it is very impressive :)

-OP

Love the mod, I noticed that when using this with the Hunter Six scenario the mod stops working after you load a save. Just and FYI and hope a fix or workaround is found.

Thanks for reporting it here as well:

-have you tried other missions too?

-do you use any other mods?