bravo93

Northern Ireland Insurgents

northernireland.jpg

Description

This addon includes IRA and UVF insurgents who fought in a conflict known as 'The Troubles'. The conflict started in 1968 and officially ended in 1998 with the Good Friday Agreement. Although many consider the conflict over, hardline elements of both sides are still active today. My primary aim was to give the units authentic clothing and weaponry and generally showcase a conflict that doesn't seem to get much attention in the gaming world.

Images

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q615/babyhitman2/pic4-1.png

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q615/babyhitman2/pic5-1.png

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q615/babyhitman2/pic1-1.png

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q615/babyhitman2/pic2-1.png

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q615/babyhitman2/pic3-1.png

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q615/babyhitman2/pic6.png

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q615/babyhitman2/ira1.png

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q615/babyhitman2/uvf1.png

Changelog:

- Added groups for IRA and UVF (5 for each faction).

- Added Zeus Compatibility.

- Fixed wound textures.

- Ai now have Irish names (Added over 200 different names, with many names unique to the IRA or UVF).

- Added additional units to both IRA and UVF.

- Added UVF Desert DPM trousers (thanks to Craig for the texture).

- Added UVF black shirt/woodland DPM trouser outfit.

- Added IRA Green shirt/woodland DPM trouser outfit.

- Added 3 additional balaclavas.

- Added DPM Boonie hat.

- Improved some textures.

- Tidied up Config a bit.

- First release

Known Issues:

- Woolly Jumper uniforms missing injury textures when unit's damaged (will try and fix for next update).

Credits & Thanks:

- Bohemia Interactive.

Requirements:

- NATO SF and Russian Spetsnaz Weapons http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=21912

Download Link

https://www.mediafire.com/?z11yp544cqq33s8

- Mediafire doesn't work for some people some of the time so just say if it's not working and I'll upload somewhere else :)

Edited by Bravo93

Great release, some variety from the "usual suspects", I mean, usual OPFORs... RWO guys can now plan some nice SAS daring anti-terrorism missions recreations with this!

cheers!

Awesome pack!! But the dependency of NATO SF and Russian Spetsnaz Weapons makes it a real no go for us due to:

1) It is a 400+ MB extra download to be able to use these dudes.

2) Those weapons really do not hold up to the A3 standard and look quite awful :/

Edited by Pellejones
  • Like 1

Well at least he's honest! :rolleyes:

As an Opfor unit to fight against I really don't care about the textures not being up to close inspection standards.... It's not like we're gonna get any closer than 15 m anyway at the worst of CQB.

And tbh, if you've not already got Massi's weapons on your HDD...

"This is not the moddable game you are looking for....."

"Move along, move along..."

Nice job Bravo.. Now we need to get craigdurragh or what ever the Irish map is called fixed so we can play using AiA_tp

New mod v1.0 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

@irish_insurgents.png

@ Bravo93 ;

Soon you will be able to manage the promo pages of your content on our web platform and publish new content yourself.

To do so, please hit 'this is me' button on the page while logged in and you will get connected to your work.

For now you can send new content or releases our way through withsix.wetransfer.com or add your notification at getsatisfaction.withsix.com.

Edited by Sonsalt6

But our brave lads new no fear

The Cork brigade with hand-grenades

In ambush wait and lay, and

The black and tans, like lightening ran

From the rifles of the IRA

Edit: just saying, no political offence! o_O

Anyway, good work!

I must admit I thought they were more common to see US arms, M16 - M60 etc ?

Didn't know they used much Soviet gear ?

SJ

When I was involved in an attack by the IRA they used AK's for that one and defo seemed to be the weapon of choice for them in my experience.

Awesome pack!! But the dependency of NATO SF and Russian Spetsnaz Weapons makes it a real no go for us due to:

1) It is a 400+ MB extra download to be able to use these dudes.

2) Those weapons really do not hold up to the A3 standard and look quite awful :/

The units work fine without massi weapons. if you just place them down you'll get the obvious error message but you can go over to a crate and pick up weapons. If you want to keep your RPT clean of errors though, you'll have to add whatever weapons you want to the init line. To be honest a couple of errors relating to missing weapons won't screw up a server that was made the right side of 1990 ;). I thought I'd use Massi's pack because I was under teh impression it was one of those packs most people have by default? I also did't think the A3 weaponry really suited them ;)

The UVF don't have RPG launchers. Nice work though.

http://ansionnachfionn.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/masked-british-terrorists-in-ireland-stage-a-propaganda-event-for-the-camera-one-holds-an-rpg7-rocket-launcher.jpg

I was thinking the same however I saw that picture and after a little more reading it seemed they did have them, just in smaller quantities than the IRA.

These are pretty sweet. Perfect terrorists for the Irish Forces to shoot :p

I must admit I thought they were more common to see US arms, M16 - M60 etc ?

Didn't know they used much Soviet gear ?

SJ

Libya supplied a huge quantity of hardware to the IRA and it saw a lot of Warsaw Pact arms arriving like Romanian Kalashnikov variants (PM 63) and stuff like that. Nominally it was all bought for the Libyan state but Gaddafi, being the charming bloke that he was, would hand over arms to all manner of terrorist organisations.

Also, in the 90s the collapse of the Soviet Union and re-shaping of Eastern Europe saw a fair bit of arms trafficking. You had stuff like and ex-Yugoslavian variants of Soviet weaponry that made their way over when Yugoslavia 'Balkanised', Vz.58s from the break up of Czechoslovakia, Russian-made weapons appearing on the black market in border states - all of it being bought up where possible by various groups.

American weapons were supplied throughout, and over a longer period than most other sources - so they did have significant quantities, and the more notorious weapons that ended up in their hands were American (Barret .50 cals, AR-18s etc.) but AFAIK the later Libyan and Eastern European sources usually yielded bigger and more uniform single shipments of arms. A lot of the deals were financed by money obtained from the US though (private backers - not state endorsement like Libya provided).

The Armalite was the "symbol" of the IRA, though. IIRC, this was most commonly the AR-18 variant. They used a variety of weapons, but Armalites were the most iconic ones. They also had some SAMs (Stingers, IIRC) and quite some RPGs. They also undoubtedly used some weapons looted off the British as well.

The Armalite was the "symbol" of the IRA, though. IIRC, this was most commonly the AR-18 variant. They used a variety of weapons, but Armalites were the most iconic ones.

Aye it was a symbol - something to provide American backers with a definite sense that they were contributing to the cause and keep their money flowing, and a bit of an "up-yours" to the British (as an American ally) having our troops killed by US arms. ARs were indeed quite prolific in the 70s, and prior to that the majority of their arsenal was WW2-era: so the ARs were also lauded for being the first 'modern' weapons available in large numbers.

However by the mid-80s, most major attempts to smuggle arms from the US were intercepted by the FBI (so things like Redeye and Stinger never actually made it over the Atlantic) and eventually gun-controls in the US became more restrictive; hampering the ease at which they could be purchased by private citizens. So the majority of 'long' weapons available towards the end of the troubles were Pact in origin.

Basically, what I'm saying is that there's nowt wrong with these units having a couple of AKs ;)

Forgot to mention the German weapons as well. Seen loads of pictures of guys running around with G3's/MG3's. Again questionable where these came from. Also I've seen UVF with what I'd assume were stolen L85A1's, Sterling SMG's. Seems like you could pretty much get your hands on whatever you want back in the 80's.

Edited by Bravo93

well sounds like it's a free for all then... bring the Ak's on....

SJ

(so things like Redeye and Stinger never actually made it over the Atlantic)

Actually, pIRA had at least 7 SAMs. They even had a song about them (search for "The SAM song" on YT). :) I'm not sure what exactly they were (might've been from Libya), but I recall a mention of them being Stingers. They didn't have many SAMs, and didn't actually manage to use any, but they had them.

Yes, but us/FBI estimates say that they are mostly likely not functional, that probably 1 or 2 are only functional.

And by today.. They probably rotted in a barn lol.

I would still say you should include AA

Yes, but us/FBI estimates say that they are mostly likely not functional, that probably 1 or 2 are only functional.

And by today.. They probably rotted in a barn lol.

I would still say you should include AA

I read something about I think a Lynx chopper evading a SAM missile in the early 90's. I probably will put AA in for the next update.

OH! AH! UP THE RA,

I SAID OH AH UP THE RA.

Being Irish myslef,i approve immensly.Now i can do some anti terrorist ops against the brits ;)

Actually, pIRA had at least 7 SAMs.

You probably misread the fact that they had SA-7 Grails (i.e. Strelas - about twenty of them from Libya) as having 7 SAMs. Only one was ever reportedly used, against a Lynx or Wessex (can't remember exactly) but it didn't hit it. That wasn't until 1990 or something, even though the UK had known they'd had SAMs for a few years already and had never appeared to have attempted to fire them before that. They probably weren't stored correctly so the seekers got fucked.

Like I said, their previous attempts to obtain working MANPADS stolen from the US Military all failed, so no Redeyes or Stingers were ever used.

Years later the IRA supplied some of their remaining SA-7s to ETA, who tried to shoot down a plane carrying the Spanish Prime minister, Jose Maria Aznar. But they didn't work then either.

da12th, out of interest what goes wrong on the seeker ? is it a Temperature sensitive device of some sort, or like the Javelin has to be chilled before use ?

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

==================================================

You are not registered on Armaholic, or at least not that we are aware of. In the future we offer the possibility to authors to maintain their own pages.

If you wish to be able to do this as well please register on Armaholic and let me know about it.

This is not mandatory at all! Only if you wish to control your own content you are welcome to join, otherwise we will continue to follow your work like we have always done ;)

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!