Sign in to follow this  
MarcusCunningham

US Special Forces WIP

Hello Everyone,

I am looking at creating a US Special Forces addon for A3.

This addon will be created with the RH-M4/M16, US Pack by Craig, and Task Force Radio Addon.

Here are some screenshots of some of the units I am going to create.

Special Forces Desert Rifleman: http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/70124481600170429/3E66D80B4CA919B7EC8B1BF7E7CDE7E15FCEF643/

Special Forces Woodland Rifleman: http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/70124481600171360/3A06E72E6FCCABA57E4A2E374637B2C1F74F7214/

Special Forces Desert V2 Rifleman: http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/70124481600173253/B373915F873397E9551DF550FD6338098F5C9E6F/

Special Forces Woodland V2 Rifleman: http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/70124481600174171/16163A1CA512287FB8AFF7F25A4C6DC10D46A79D/

Special Forces Diver: http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/70124481600172366/3ADC0C91099DBB39C97E8349BF8E2302666AB7D2/

Now my question to you, is what is the standard structure to a special forces fire team.

I was just thinking of creating the standard US Army fire team which would consist of

1: Team Leader

2: Autorifleman

3: Grenadier

4: Rifleman

but I wanted to get the structure correct.

I will also have an AT-4 and M249, possibly Mk 48 in the addon as well, so the correct class will have one of those weapons.

Also what does everyone think of the camo's for each of the sections.

Constructive feedback is more than welcome so if you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Thank you and hope you enjoy.

Hey there, Marcus. Just a tip, instead of calling the V2 uniforms "V2" Call them the camo names. For instance, the Desert V2 should be "Desert Marpat" and the "Woodland V2" should be "Woodland Marpat" Overall, nice uniforms however, U.S SF use the newer Combat Uniforms. They take the sleeves from the old uniforms and sew them onto Underarmour type shirts. The most famous company that does this is Crye Precision, might want to look into that. The camo looks nice, though.

Here is a link to the Crye Precision Combat Shirt - http://www.cryeprecision.com/P-APRCSE02LGR/G3-Combat-Shirt%E2%84%A2

You can find the Combat Pants on that website, as well.

Also, I have no clue why but it seems that most Special Forces guys tend to go for the "TactiCOOL" look rather than the "TactiCAL" look, and leave their sleeves and pant legs untucked. So, keep these things in mind. Just my 2cents and constructive criticism.

Edited by PMC-Rainey

As as heads-up, the camouflages you have for Desert V2 and Woodland V2 are the U.S. Navy's AOR1 and AOR2 camouflages respectively, which are used by Navy SEALs.

Hey there, Marcus. Just a tip, instead of calling the V2 uniforms "V2" Call them the camo names. For instance, the Desert V2 should be "Desert Marpat" and the "Woodland V2" should be "Woodland Marpat" Overall, nice uniforms however, U.S SF use the newer Combat Uniforms. They take the sleeves from the old uniforms and sew them onto Underarmour type shirts. The most famous company that does this is Crye Precision, might want to look into that. The camo looks nice, though.

Here is a link to the Crye Precision Combat Shirt - http://www.cryeprecision.com/P-APRCSE02LGR/G3-Combat-Shirt%E2%84%A2

You can find the Combat Pants on that website, as well.

Also, I have no clue why but it seems that most Special Forces guys tend to go for the "TactiCOOL" look rather than the "TactiCAL" look, and leave their sleeves and pant legs untucked. So, keep these things in mind. Just my 2cents and constructive criticism.

Yeah I have their correct names, just put V2 for the sake of simplicity for showing off what has been done.

I am just using the US Pack uniforms for this mod, therefore I cannot modify the uniforms, so I appreciate your feedback, but I really can't do much with them.

---------- Post added at 10:34 ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 ----------

As as heads-up, the camouflages you have for Desert V2 and Woodland V2 are the U.S. Navy's AOR1 and AOR2 camouflages respectively, which are used by Navy SEALs.

Yeah thank you, just thought I would name it V2 for the simplicity of the 'demo' before I get ready for release.

Gotcha, I thought you were making the uniforms. None the less, the camo looks good.

Have you thought about using Niko's uniform mega pack?

Yeah I did, I thought there wasn't enough options, and the lack of helmets was a major turn off. So until he releases helmets in the camos, I won't be using his pack.

---------- Post added at 03:59 ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 ----------

Does anyone know the structure of a Special Forces Fire Team?

Have you tried Google? Seems to have the answer to all my questions. Except the meaning of life.

By the way, just because you are using a certain uniform pack, doesn't mean you can't make them look like Combat Uniforms, even if they aren't. For instance, on the Woodland uniform, on the chest and stomach, instead of having the Woodland camo, make it Tan or Coyote Brown. It'll look different, without actually changing the mesh.

Have you tried Google? Seems to have the answer to all my questions. Except the meaning of life.

I've googled just about everything the subject, but haven't got a solid answer. Not sure if its just because they use the same fireteams as the US Army or Marine Corps, so I have no idea.

Edit:

Found alot of info on the American Special Forces groups on this website : http://www.americanspecialops.com/ if anyone else is interested.

By the way, just because you are using a certain uniform pack, doesn't mean you can't make them look like Combat Uniforms, even if they aren't. For instance, on the Woodland uniform, on the chest and stomach, instead of having the Woodland camo, make it Tan or Coyote Brown. It'll look different, without actually changing the mesh.

So your thinking something like this : http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/70124481630880607/AA055D7523DD3CD05DD52CBE5272895BB3A847D6/ ?

Edited by MarcusCunningham

For the sake of the game i would use the same types of fireteams. I do not think there is any real standard for team makeup(I could be wrong.), mainly because most members of the tier 1 special forces(Delta, DEVGRU,etc.) cross train in every role they fulfill (demo, medical, etc *some may be better trained than others but they still all know each others jobs*.) Just because you might be the Autorifleman in one mission doesn't mean you'll carry it in another. Different missions require different kits and different team comps.

For groups like the 75th Rangers, Army SFGs, MARSOC, PJs, SWCC, and most Seal Teams I imagine they would look very similar to your standard fireteams. Bit of mix and match here and there but that all depends on the mission.

So in reality how you create your fireteams and squads will only matter to mission makers and how you would place them if they were AI. For players acting out the roles they would mix and match and play whatever role so it does not matter for them.

Edit: An example of what i would do.

75th Rangers

4 man standard team

Team Leader

Rifleman AT

Autorifleman

Medic

4 man EOD Team

Team Leader

Rifleman AT

Explosives Expert

Medic

10 man Squad

Squad Leader

Medic

Team Leader

Rifleman AT

Autorifleman (M249)

Grenadier

Team Leader

Rifleman AT

Marksman

Machine Gunner (M240)

But there is nothing standard about the special forces. The 75th Ranger Regiment is the easiest because they operate in larger numbers than most of the other US SF. A normal Seal platoon consists of 16 men. Which breaks down to two 8 man teams. http://navyseals.com/nsw/structure/

But every mission will dictate a different use of force and manpower.

---------- Post added at 06:45 ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 ----------

I really should learn to click the links before i respond too... :rolleyes: You pretty much found out all the information you need there. Only thing is whether you decide to break it down between Black and White special forces. (Black Ops and White for everyone else.)

Edited by Raytesh

So your thinking something like this : http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/70124481630880607/AA055D7523DD3CD05DD52CBE5272895BB3A847D6/ ?

I can't really see anything in that picture. Basically, what I'm saying is keep the sleeves the same. But make the chest and stomach area a Tan/Coyote Brown.

If you want, I can find some good reference images. Because on the actual Combat shirt, it's more complicated than that. On the real version, part of the upper back is Tan, the chest and belly are tan, etc. So if you want I can help out a bit.

I can't really see anything in that picture. Basically, what I'm saying is keep the sleeves the same. But make the chest and stomach area a Tan/Coyote Brown.

If you want, I can find some good reference images. Because on the actual Combat shirt, it's more complicated than that. On the real version, part of the upper back is Tan, the chest and belly are tan, etc. So if you want I can help out a bit.

He changed the center area to black, visible above the PC.

On Topic:

I have noticed you are sadly doing the same gringy mistake i see on most reskins, your Camo pattern appears to ignore the seam lines and stitches. I already told a couple of creators that particular mistake and the once that picked up on it were really happy with the result. Yes it will create a good deal of additional work for you changing up the camo arround the seams, pockets and so on. But trust me, it is worth it.

Secondly, this one is a can but not a must, having different aging factors on the texture, such as dirt amongst other things could really enhance the depth and contrast of the texture overall making it appear a little more "alive".

Then again, i am not a professional game developer but its just my 2 cents of experience with textures.

As a former ODA Wpns Sgt I'm always glad to see someone showing interest in SF for A3. Firstly, we would never rock aor/marpat camo(however its not completely unbelievable because we had very loose rules about deployment camo)

In order to get realistic looks you have to take into.account many things, such as deployment method:

If we are based with a bigger unit say for example, at a FOB, then you will see full camo/gear for select missions

Actual deployments tend to be with host nation counterparts, therefore you want to blend in with them, earn their respect. So I would include more "civilian" uniforms. For altis maybe jeans and combat shirts, or a jacket. Desert would obviously be more takistani oriented as far as clothing.

Keep in mind we made ballcaps and beards cool ;)

Weapons will almost always be painted, and extremely "weathered", and as fluttershy stated the clothing/gear will be to

Teams originally consist of 12 men(google structure), each.with various specialties. The team can be split in half and still operate 100%, and then usually split into 3's. Usually have 3 guys tasked to each gmv, or gun truck

Weapons wise a team would pack as much.as possible, in iraq we learned the lethality of javelins. But usually would be m4s, mk12s, mk48s, and occasionally a m240. 12ga would be a must, along with .45s. Modern days has seen an increase in ak47 sopmod capable technology, and the host nation usually has lots of ammo, so packing an ak isn't uncommon either