Sign in to follow this  
jbryan

Texture problem

Been working on a terrain map, of a US Military base, basically geared towards realism units and what not for state side training. As well as various weapon ranges, etc.

However I am having a weird texture issue. While it might be best to post a photo of it, I will try my best to explain it.

After doing all the steps in terrain builder, everything appears in bulldozer just fine, as far as the terrain texturing and what not. However, when I enable the terrain inside arma. I have this weird texture problem, where my guy is standing.

The issue is, there appears to be a completely black shadow in a 2 meter radius or so around my character inside the game. When I walk, the terrain under, fades away and I am unable to see the terrain texture.

Any help would be appreciated.

Where was something similar some time ago. http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?173753-Problem-with-texture

Funny thing is, that I have the some problem as well for some days. Couldn't figure out what to do. So if you find a solution, I'm more than interested ...

Jens

---------- Post added at 12:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 PM ----------

Ok, I got rid of the shadow problem. Problem was my sat_mask. It is a very high resolution file (10240x10240). I downsized the file to 1024 x 1024 and resized it to 10240 x 10240. Before the resizing it was very fine grained and that was probably the problem.

Ok, problem still exists.

Jens

Edited by jens198

Problem was my sat_mask. It is a very high resolution file (10240x10240)

It's meant to be... or at least, it should be the same resolution as your sat image, whatever that happens to be... that way you get a 1:1 pixel matching of close-up ground textures with whats depicted on the Satellite layer (if your mask is that accurately made, of course)..

The issue is, there appears to be a completely black shadow in a 2 meter radius or so around my character inside the game. When I walk, the terrain under, fades away and I am unable to see the terrain texture.

Its almost certainly a problem with the ground textures themselves - probably the rvmat file...

Here's a simple "generic" one which you can use for any ground texture set... just repath the paths to your _nopx and _co textures (ie: change the two "texture=" paths to suit - leave the rest as it is...)

ambient[]={1,1,1,1};
diffuse[]={0.25,0.25,0.25,1};
forcedDiffuse[]={0,0,0,0};
emmisive[]={0,0,0,0};
specular[]={0,0,0,0};
specularPower=1;
PixelShaderID="NormalMapDiffuse";
VertexShaderID="NormalMapDiffuseAlpha";
class Stage1
{
texture="path\to\_nopx.paa";
uvSource="tex";
class uvTransform
{
	aside[]={5,0,0};
	up[]={0,5,0};
	dir[]={0,0,0};
	pos[]={0,0,0};
};
};
class Stage2
{
texture="path\to\_co.paa";
uvSource="tex";
class uvTransform
{
	aside[]={5,0,0};
	up[]={0,5,0};
	dir[]={0,0,0};
	pos[]={0,0,0};
};
};

B

It's meant to be... or at least, it should be the same resolution as your sat image, whatever that happens to be... that way you get a 1:1 pixel matching of close-up ground textures with whats depicted on the Satellite layer (if your mask is that accurately made, of course)..

Its almost certainly a problem with the ground textures themselves - probably the rvmat file...

Here's a simple "generic" one which you can use for any ground texture set... just repath the paths to your _nopx and _co textures (ie: change the two "texture=" paths to suit - leave the rest as it is...)

ambient[]={1,1,1,1};
diffuse[]={0.25,0.25,0.25,1};
forcedDiffuse[]={0,0,0,0};
emmisive[]={0,0,0,0};
specular[]={0,0,0,0};
specularPower=1;
PixelShaderID="NormalMapDiffuse";
VertexShaderID="NormalMapDiffuseAlpha";
class Stage1
{
texture="path\to\_nopx.paa";
uvSource="tex";
class uvTransform
{
	aside[]={5,0,0};
	up[]={0,5,0};
	dir[]={0,0,0};
	pos[]={0,0,0};
};
};
class Stage2
{
texture="path\to\_co.paa";
uvSource="tex";
class uvTransform
{
	aside[]={5,0,0};
	up[]={0,5,0};
	dir[]={0,0,0};
	pos[]={0,0,0};
};
};

B

Okay thanks, I'll try this... I'm having an issue with the P Drive disappearing, completely lost the current file... However I still have backups of the height maps and such. Once I get the P Drive resolved, I will start from scratch.

Ok, I can confirm, that in my case the paa-texture files them self were the source of the problem. I changed my custom made texture into texture from Altis/Stratis and the shadow was gone.

Jens