Sign in to follow this  
noubernou

ACRE2 Public Beta Release

No, Kerodan. I asked the same thing a few pages back.

Hopefully it's on their to-do list...

It is not on our todo list, as it is not our issue. This is an issue with custom malloc implementations and server set up. We generate keys the exact same way everyone else does, there is absolutely nothing we can do to fix peoples broken malloc implementations.

We literally use DSSignFile like every other mod in the world, and like we historically have for years. The fact the malloc engine *probably* breaks our game plugins would be a problem with those malloc implementations.

He was not on the server config, jay. He talked about the individual user volume control in JVON I guess.

And to topic: As JVON is still in beta and development will be speed up after the main work done on ACRE2, it is highly possible to have such a feature in upcoming versions.

He was not on the server config, jay. He talked about the individual user volume control in JVON I guess.

And to topic: As JVON is still in beta and development will be speed up after the main work done on ACRE2, it is highly possible to have such a feature in upcoming versions.

The same volume control ACRE2 has will be in JVON, we just havn't added the interface as mentioned in one of my previous posts.

It is not on our todo list, as it is not our issue. This is an issue with custom malloc implementations and server set up. We generate keys the exact same way everyone else does, there is absolutely nothing we can do to fix peoples broken malloc implementations.

We literally use DSSignFile like every other mod in the world, and like we historically have for years. The fact the malloc engine *probably* breaks our game plugins would be a problem with those malloc implementations.

And now that you realize you answered completely off of what we were talking about, can you comment on what we were actually talking about?

ACRE2 overrides TeamSpeak's individual volume levels, essentially sets everyone's voice to '+0db', disregarding the user's setting to make some speakers quieter and others louder.

ok so i honestly feel like my post was almost COMPLETELY miss read....

I stated very clearly that i have ACRE2 working on my server with "MY KEYS AND MY SIGNATURES...."

IF and again IF it was the malloc=tbmalloc. then how is it that acre works just fine once i resigned it.... kinda doesnt make sense AT ALL.

So to recap.. I tested acre2 with the default keys (NOT JVON) and it would freeze the server.

I resigned it with my keys and it works fine.... so again how is it possibly the malloc???

Evro posted a couple pages back that the underscore "_" in keys can cause server freezing.

My key doesnt have ANY underscores. the original acre2 key has several underscores... maybe thats the problem.. I dont know, however, the facts still stand..

ACRE2 is now working fine on my server with my custom keys.. if it was anything to do with the custom memory allocator im sure it would still NOT work after a resign...

and I also have the malloc running on my client.. and i dont have ANY issues launching my game with acre2 with that malloc... so i do believe your assumptions about the malloc are wrong.

Edited by Lordprimate

We tested ACRE2 with a few guys on our server last night - good to see the progress that has been made. Long range radio degradation seemed to be pretty accurate (tested on Takistan), and local/direct chat sounded incredibly realistic.

One bug (or possibly a feature?) that we found really impractical - anyone who is not in-game is muted. For the most part this is brilliant - it prevents everyone hearing the 'god voices' and also protects us against trolls on our public server. However, from an admin perspective this is frustrating/limiting.

Sometimes someone will poke me on TS, requesting a server restart. I'll then hop into our public server channel (while not in-game) and notify everyone of the restart. With ACRE2, this isn't possible - no matter who I am (unless I boot up Arma and join the server).

Sometimes I'll need to speak to someone who is currently in-game (when I'm not) about mods/community stuffs/scripting/something urgent (etc), so I'll quickly drag them out of the channel and have a word. With ACRE2, even if my ACRE plugin is disabled, they won't be able to hear me at all. What on earth do I do in this case? Most people have TS voice notifications turned off, so poking them wouldn't help.

The best method (in my opinion) back in ACRE1 was to password-lock the 'Radio Comms' TS channel so that only ACRE itself could move you into that channel once you were in-game. This still allowed admins/moderators to join the TS channel, even if they weren't in-game (since TS permissions allow admins/mods to override certain passworded channels - or we just gave certain members the password). This was perfect.

If this is a known bug (I tried searching this thread for 'mute', but got no results), please ignore everything above :p

If there is a way to disable this functionality, does anyone know how (I'm searching the ACRE documentation now, but can't seem to find anything)?

Otherwise, please consider changing this default behaviour - for the sake of my sanity, and others ;)

Looking forward to seeing how ACRE progresses. It looks really promising so far.

And now that you realize you answered completely off of what we were talking about, can you comment on what we were actually talking about?

ACRE2 overrides TeamSpeak's individual volume levels, essentially sets everyone's voice to '+0db', disregarding the user's setting to make some speakers quieter and others louder.

You are correct; we equalize all volumes and you need to master-boost volumes accordingly (via the volume controls in the plugin). This is to:

#1. Give a uniform volume experience. If people are coming across as drastically quieter or louder, then their microphone is set up incorrectly and needs to be fixed.

#2. in TVT scenarios, being able to boost individual users basically negates direct speech distances in TVT. You can just boost the other team and hear them before they hear you.

---------- Post added at 06:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 AM ----------

If this is a known bug (I tried searching this thread for 'mute', but got no results), please ignore everything above :p

If there is a way to disable this functionality, does anyone know how (I'm searching the ACRE documentation now, but can't seem to find anything)?

Otherwise, please consider changing this default behaviour - for the sake of my sanity, and others ;)

This is currently a "feature" which we have been discussing back-pedaling on. Most likely, we will be implementing an in-game key for administrators/spectators to hit which will disable the ACRE sound system. We are still deciding on the best method for this, from that method to maybe a server-side toggle on which method to use.

---------- Post added at 06:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 AM ----------

ok so i honestly feel like my post was almost COMPLETELY miss read....

I stated very clearly that i have ACRE2 working on my server with "MY KEYS AND MY SIGNATURES...."

This was not completely misread. I am just pointing out we are signing ACRE *the exact same way you are*. Additionally, we re-generate a new private key *every single build*. This would inherently mean a bug in the DS******* key tools provided by BI, as we use the exact same methods as other users. Additionally, only some servers/users exhibit this problem and I personally have never seen it nor reproduced it. So this may warrant a bug with BI via the feedback.arma3.com due to the fact its a setup-dependent and arma3-dependent issue.

You are correct; we equalize all volumes and you need to master-boost volumes accordingly (via the volume controls in the plugin). This is to:

#1. Give a uniform volume experience. If people are coming across as drastically quieter or louder, then their microphone is set up incorrectly and needs to be fixed.

#2. in TVT scenarios, being able to boost individual users basically negates direct speech distances in TVT. You can just boost the other team and hear them before they hear you.

Concerning #1 is their a trick for such a setup? Because quite some people in my community are notourisly quite in ACRE but cannot boost their microphone capabilities anymore....

Concerning #2 While I totaly see your point, this is not an issue for COOP Groups. Would it maybe be possible to engange/disengage the build-in equalizing by a server/mission parameter?

If this request is totaly out of the question just say it! ;) But if you take it under advisement it would help us (and probably some other all-coop communities) out tremendously!

Concerning #1 is their a trick for such a setup? Because quite some people in my community are notourisly quite in ACRE but cannot boost their microphone capabilities anymore....

Concerning #2 While I totaly see your point, this is not an issue for COOP Groups. Would it maybe be possible to engange/disengage the build-in equalizing by a server/mission parameter?

If this request is totaly out of the question just say it! ;) But if you take it under advisement it would help us (and probably some other all-coop communities) out tremendously!

#1. People can tweak their inbound volume settings via Settings->Plugins->ACRE2->Settings. This will change how loud others are. People should not be changing their microphone settings for *other peoples volume issues*

#2. Our sound system is designed this way; I suppose we can in the future look into polling the TS3 volumes and user information.

This is currently a "feature" which we have been discussing back-pedaling on. Most likely, we will be implementing an in-game key for administrators/spectators to hit which will disable the ACRE sound system. We are still deciding on the best method for this, from that method to maybe a server-side toggle on which method to use

Thanks for replying. Glad to hear you've been discussing this.

I'm not sure in-game options will achieve anything - this still limits anyone who is not in-game from being able to talk to anyone in-game.

Consider another example:

2 or 3 guys are on a private server (running ACRE) testing out a new mod, or trying out some weapons, or trying out the ACRE radios (etc). A 4th guy (not in-game, and not an admin) then joins the TS channel to ask what's up. Nobody in-game will be able to hear him (even if the people in-game don't mind having a chat, they still won't know he's there - so how will they know to enable spectator/admin mode etc?). I can imagine the 4th guy would find this really frustrating.

A server-side option, as you mentioned, that completely disables this feature would be the best option IMO (or even make this the default behaviour). That way, those that just want to use passworded TS channels (and let ACRE automove people when in-game), can do so.

#1. People can tweak their inbound volume settings via Settings->Plugins->ACRE2->Settings. This will change how loud others are. People should not be changing their microphone settings for *other peoples volume issues*

#2. Our sound system is designed this way; I suppose we can in the future look into polling the TS3 volumes and user information.

Thank you for your fast response!

#1. We tried that however there is a limit to what you can do with that because at some point the sound overmodulates (i am not an English native speaker so the word could be wrong ;)). We experienced this with the radio sound of opening channels as well as with certain people who are louder in ACRE than others.

#2. If you can it would be very much appreciated!

Thank you for your fast response!

#1. We tried that however there is a limit to what you can do with that because at some point the sound overmodulates (i am not an English native speaker so the word could be wrong ;)). We experienced this with the radio sound of opening channels as well as with certain people who are louder in ACRE than others.

#2. If you can it would be very much appreciated!

I'd recommend having a "get your volumes right" party, spend 20 minutes getting everyone equalized a bit better :)

I'm not sure I follow, jaynus.

You said

"Give a uniform volume experience. If people are coming across as drastically quieter or louder, then their microphone is set up incorrectly and needs to be fixed."

But then you said

"People can tweak their inbound volume settings via Settings->Plugins->ACRE2->Settings. This will change how loud others are. People should not be changing their microphone settings for *other peoples volume issues*"

Sometimes microphone settings cannot be tweaked to be balanced, that's what the built-in TS feature to change individual's volume exists. I have a modified setting for each member of our community because everyone's mic sounds different (It can be as mild as +-1db but some people get a +-10db, etc). There is no one 'right' microphone setting. I set my microphone intentionally quieter than it should be because I later normalize/limit it on the videos I record via software. Some people use a USB mic, some use studio mics with an interface, others use a 1 dollar lapel/table mic, etc. You can't really accommodate for everyone.

Edited by BullHorn

Nou is currently working on pulling TS3 configured volumes in some locations to experiment with how it might sound (and how it will break/allow cheating).

Nou is currently working on pulling TS3 configured volumes in some locations to experiment with how it might sound (and how it will break/allow cheating).

That is great news! Thank you so much! :)

Hope you can come up with a solution that is in line with your conception of what ACRE is supposed to be!

Implemented. Uses the same values as TS.

Implemented. Uses the same values as TS.

Now I am even more psyched for the next update!

Noubernou/Jaynus, any chance you fellas could put a changelog with each unofficial release you put out on your web site? There's no way for me to know when you guys are working on the JVON issues I reported and I'd like to know when it's worth testing on my pub server.

Thanks!

Noubernou/Jaynus, any chance you fellas could put a changelog with each unofficial release you put out on your web site? There's no way for me to know when you guys are working on the JVON issues I reported and I'd like to know when it's worth testing on my pub server.

Thanks!

I really need to automate the "Welcome to ACRE" popup - i'll try to get to that this week.

The 343 UI will get a complete overhaul. Functionality remains the same, but I'm not the best 3d Artist out there and I've never been happy with the model. But thanks to Hatchet that will change.

So these models are temporary? They look weird and out of place, but the functionality they provide is fantastic so I wouldn't mind the weird looks that much

afHOS8-4_FQ

Off topic: Someone linked me this earlier, I knew that was a Glaswegian accent I could hear. :p

So these models are temporary? They look weird and out of place, but the functionality they provide is fantastic so I wouldn't mind the weird looks that much

I would assume assume they're only temporary so that their use can be implemented while the models are actually finished off by the artist. It looks like the normals haven't been baked yet and the textures are just blocked in to get a basic idea of what it'll look like.