Sign in to follow this  
noubernou

ACRE2 Public Beta Release

The last time I used ACRE there was the issue of volumes of players being too low and it failing to kick in quite often for many players, unless they ran everything in admin mode which was 4 months ago. And then still it would randomly break for players. Have these things been improved on? I am currently using TFR and it never bugs out and players never have to restart their plugins. I do not mean to be mean, but as a player I ask, what advantages does ACRE have over TFR?

And one more thing, how is ZEUS working with it? Ideally I would like to be able to use my long range radio (which my player unit has equipped) while I am in ZEUS mode. This currently works in TFR but it bugs out sometimes and then it is only possible to use the radio when switching back to the unit

is there a way to use acre2 omnibus with jvon and dont use push to talk to talk in "direct" ?

The last time I used ACRE there was the issue of volumes of players being too low and it failing to kick in quite often for many players, unless they ran everything in admin mode which was 4 months ago. And then still it would randomly break for players. Have these things been improved on? I am currently using TFR and it never bugs out and players never have to restart their plugins. I do not mean to be mean, but as a player I ask, what advantages does ACRE have over TFR?

And one more thing, how is ZEUS working with it? Ideally I would like to be able to use my long range radio (which my player unit has equipped) while I am in ZEUS mode. This currently works in TFR but it bugs out sometimes and then it is only possible to use the radio when switching back to the unit

#1. The volume issue was resolved partially about 2 months ago, and has now been completely solved by providing in-plugin settings for players to adjust their volumes to correct it appropriately. I assume by "breaking", you mean this same evident volume issue (we call it the surround volume bug). Anyone who STILL gets it after our fixes, or does not like the volumes, can tweak their volumes via Settings->Plugins->Acre2->Settings, and tweak their volume.

I'd say the plugin has also stabilized greatly since 4 months ago; UnitedOperations is playing daily now with 80+ players with no issues. I just played for 10 hours yesterday with 60-110 people on the server and things worked just fine and dandy.

#2. What does ACRE do that TFAR does not? A lot, I'd think. I know this is always a hotly contentious subject so please everyone, try not to make this a flame war like everyone always does when I list ACRE features. These are strictly the features I can think of off the top of my head that we have implemented that people are usually not aware of, that other radio mods have never done.

I suppose I'll compile a list without trying to make this seem like a dick swinging contest.

* ACRE2 allows direct speaking at over 100 meters away, TFAR cuts out at 20

* Buildings/objects obstruct your voice in direct chat. This has been smoothed out from the original version 4 months ago, and is very mature and great sounding now.

* ACRE2 does realistic ITU and Signal calculations to determine radio ranges; TFAR does arbitrary distance checks. We really do calculate terrain and power and determine the radio signal in a very realistic manner (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITU_terrain_model)

* ACRE2 has the babel system, so in TVT sides can have different languages

* We aim to affect gameplay, not just apply radio comms. Signals, setup, and languages can all become key components of a misssion. Maybe you rescue a player that speaks a different language, how do you coordinate?

* ACRE2 is simpler to use, as you only need to know 2 hotkeys and 2 knobs per radio. You do not NEED to know anything else. We added tooltips to help that. There is not a lot of keybinds to set.

* ACRE2 provides vastly easier to use yet more in-depth APIs now. See http://acre.idi-systems.com/api/

* ACRE2 has modeled the menus of the radios (if people are interested, it is not required to use them) correct to the real radios.

* AI can hear you talking, and this is also realistically modeled

* ACRE2 provides per-vehicle attenuantion (who can hear who) based on teh model specifications and configs

* ACRE2 provides vehicle intercoms the same as above for vehicle crews

* ACRE2 Radios have speakers that you can turn on, for everyone to listen to the radios.

* ST ACRE volume integration (whisper/talk/shout) will be going into stable most likely

Upcoming ACRE2 features over the next 3 months that will not be in our stable release, but will make it into the next beta:

- Radio racks and components

- Modeling antenna's on ALL THE THINGS

- Russian Radios (the 123 is our first goal to get the system in place)

I'm sure I'm leaving some out here, but these are the highlights of our core features that we realistically model to affect gameplay. We are working on documenting all of this better, which will be at http://gitlab.idi-systems.com/idi-systems/acre2-public/wikis/basic-concepts as we fill it out.

#3. Yes, this is perfectly possible, and we have Zeus's do it all the time at UO.

Edited by jaynus

The thing that make me prefer TFAR to ACRE is that with TFAR you can't intercept radio communications of the enemy side unless you steal an enemy radio or enemy vehicle...

Is it the same with ACRE2?

The thing that make me prefer TFAR to ACRE is that with TFAR you can't intercept radio communications of the enemy side unless you steal an enemy radio or enemy vehicle...

As we create the Radios with the goal to do a realistic simulation, all radios cover the frequency ranges they do in reality. E.g. the PRC-148 can send/receive from 30MHz up to 512MHz. That means that by default you CAN intercept any frequency in that range.

Now, what are the ways to do prevent the interception of the other sides radio communications?

- First: You can easily, via module, set-up different presets for different sides. This means in a nutshell: The 16 Preset Channels on a "eastern" PRC-148 are complete different to those on a "western" PRC-148. Of course, you can still intercept the enemy frequencies by switching through all possible ones. We're talking about a step size of 5kHz, which leaves almost 100k different frequencies.

- Second (more advanced): Different encryption options, different squelch modes

- Third: Again via module (actually the same as for the different presets), you can define different Babel-Languages per side. You can intercept, but you can't understand.

And perhaps the future will bring frequency-hopping, which will add an extra amount of security by changing the frequency about 100 times a second.

I suppose I'll compile a list without trying to make this seem like a dick swinging contest.

But the important question is, how does it handle large amounts of players (100 - 140)?

Atleast ACRE 1 caused problems after 80 players.

Oh, I have a question relating to zeus/spectator cam:

Do you hear players based on their proximity to the camera rather than the player/body? If not, I think such behavior would be a nice change/option.

Has there been any difference in this respect with the introduction of JVON/Omnibus stuff or am i correct in the assumption Acre2 still requires a dedicated a3 server to function (ie:it wont work on a listen server / "hosted" coop game)?

But the important question is, how does it handle large amounts of players (100 - 140)?

Shacktac used ACRE 1 with 100+ players all the time and had no problems.

ACRE2 is being regularly used with 80-90 players every weekend at UO with no issues.

As always though performance is a moving target as features change and as improvements and tweaks are made.

---------- Post added at 10:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 AM ----------

Has there been any difference in this respect with the introduction of JVON/Omnibus stuff or am i correct in the assumption Acre2 still requires a dedicated a3 server to function (ie:it wont work on a listen server / "hosted" coop game)?

Right now it doesn't work on self-hosted, as the server config is not loaded and sending JVON config information to the client.

---------- Post added at 10:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 AM ----------

Oh, I have a question relating to zeus/spectator cam:

Do you hear players based on their proximity to the camera rather than the player/body? If not, I think such behavior would be a nice change/option.

Yes, it has been like this since day 1. Spectator scripts should call [true] call acre_api_fnc_setSpectator to fully enable spectator mode options (including hearing other spectators).

As was stated before, we have supported these options since Day 1, 5 years ago this coming may - actually.

Again, ACRE has always performed well since day 1. As Nou stated, at UnitedOperations.Net we play with anywhere between 60-120 players every single weekend day. We have consistently capped 30+ players every day, and Friday/Saturday/Sunday sees 100+ every single weekend. We have no issues, and ACRE runs into absolutely no issues. You will see the server desync and die before you will ever notice a problem with ACRE. It has been like this for approximately 3 years.

ACRE1, for the record, also never had issues with high player counts any time after our initial discovery of per frame handlers which we contributed to the community over 4 years ago. ShackTac and UO ran 100+ player missions regularly every weekend without issue.

UnitedOperations.net runs our test builds of ACRE2 for 1-3 weeks prior to us releasing here on the forums. So you can already be rest assured that the latest builds have been used and stress tested under 100+ player circumstances, every single build.

ACRE2 dev team, I'd like to try out JVON on our server. I think the ease of install and advanced radio comms are exactly what the mission needs. We tried TFR, and while it is a great radio mod, the complex installation proved too much for many. We are a PUB server that plays CTI and have about 30-40 people each night so we'd be a very good testing platform. I've got a lot of dedicated folks who are team players and report bugs to me all the time. I'm willing to gather all of their input and submit it to you as required/requested.

Will you allow us to join the closed beta? You can message me here or reach me on steam (same username).

Thanks!

Edited by SpanishSurfer

Yes, it has been like this since day 1. Spectator scripts should call [true] call acre_api_fnc_setSpectator to fully enable spectator mode options (including hearing other spectators).

Thanks for confirming that, the group I play with is still using the ACRE 1 port for the time being due to the ease of organization between Arma 2/Arma 3 - so apologies for asking about a known feature.

Thanks for confirming that, the group I play with is still using the ACRE 1 port for the time being due to the ease of organization between Arma 2/Arma 3 - so apologies for asking about a known feature.

The next release will include a version compatible with teamspeak 3.0.11 to help communities with this; so they can use ACRE1 in arma2, and ACRE2 in arma3. This build has been tested and is confirmed working in 3.0.11

We have worked on a backport of ACRE2 to ArmA2OA - its lacking because of A3 features used. we are torn between continuing work on it.

The next release will include a version compatible with teamspeak 3.0.11 to help communities with this; so they can use ACRE1 in arma2, and ACRE2 in arma3. This build has been tested and is confirmed working in 3.0.11

We have worked on a backport of ACRE2 to ArmA2OA - its lacking because of A3 features used. we are torn between continuing work on it.

Awesome stuff guys. ACRE1 seems to run quite happily on 3.0.12, should we drop back a version for the sake of compatibility?

Trying to get JVON to work on our server....Everything server side was done according to the directions. However, JVON on my client crashes when connecting.

Problem signature:
 Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
 Application Name:	bootstrapper_win32.exe
 Application Version:	0.1.310.0
 Application Timestamp:	54c95165
 Fault Module Name:	ntdll.dll
 Fault Module Version:	6.1.7601.18247
 Fault Module Timestamp:	521ea8e7
 Exception Code:	c00000fd
 Exception Offset:	0002efc8
 OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
 Locale ID:	1033
 Additional Information 1:	be8a
 Additional Information 2:	be8a7e5dbba89dc1088f4888be547305
 Additional Information 3:	cb81
 Additional Information 4:	cb81328197d978529761923839957f83

Ideas?

Trying to get JVON to work on our server....Everything server side was done according to the directions. However, JVON on my client crashes when connecting.

Problem signature:
 Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
 Application Name:	bootstrapper_win32.exe
 Application Version:	0.1.310.0
 Application Timestamp:	54c95165
 Fault Module Name:	ntdll.dll
 Fault Module Version:	6.1.7601.18247
 Fault Module Timestamp:	521ea8e7
 Exception Code:	c00000fd
 Exception Offset:	0002efc8
 OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
 Locale ID:	1033
 Additional Information 1:	be8a
 Additional Information 2:	be8a7e5dbba89dc1088f4888be547305
 Additional Information 3:	cb81
 Additional Information 4:	cb81328197d978529761923839957f83

Ideas?

Known issue at the moment with the 1.38 arma update. We are working to fix it. You can also use JVON launching manually at the moment (defeats the purpose, obviously).

Known issue at the moment with the 1.38 arma update. We are working to fix it. You can also use JVON launching manually at the moment (defeats the purpose, obviously).

I'll wait for the fix, the general public can't handle that much work. ;)

I did spend some time using it, looks good. Although I didn't get to see JVON work server side. Few questions:

*Will I be able to see people connecting and have some sort of admin controls on them?

*Do you guys have a link that marks all the radios with class-names and ranges of the radios?

*Does ACRE JVON have any kind of system that says who's talking? (i know, silly question)

*Can you use the radios in the vehicles?

Thanks guys, looking forward to your upcoming release.

I'll wait for the fix, the general public can't handle that much work. ;)

I did spend some time using it, looks good. Although I didn't get to see JVON work server side. Few questions:

*Will I be able to see people connecting and have some sort of admin controls on them?

[/Quote]

This is planned, yes. At the moment, no. Since it is considered them being in the game.

*Do you guys have a link that marks all the radios with class-names and ranges of the radios?

[/Quote]

http://gitlab.idi-systems.com/idi-systems/acre2-public/wikis/Home

http://gitlab.idi-systems.com/idi-systems/acre2-public/wikis/basic-concepts

*Does ACRE JVON have any kind of system that says who's talking? (i know, silly question)

[/Quote]

Yes, of course. We just have this disabled for development testing reasons.

*Can you use the radios in the vehicles?

[/Quote]

I'm not sure where this question comes from? You have always been able to use radios while inside a vehicle. If thats the case, of course, you always could for the past 5 years. Do you mean vehicle racks? If that is the case no, we have not implemented vehicle racks yet.

You can always take your radio, turn on the loud speaker, and throw it into the cargo though. That would make the vehicle a loudspeaker! :D

This is planned, yes. At the moment, no. Since it is considered them being in the game.

http://gitlab.idi-systems.com/idi-systems/acre2-public/wikis/Home

http://gitlab.idi-systems.com/idi-systems/acre2-public/wikis/basic-concepts

Yes, of course. We just have this disabled for development testing reasons.

I'm not sure where this question comes from? You have always been able to use radios while inside a vehicle. If thats the case, of course, you always could for the past 5 years. Do you mean vehicle racks? If that is the case no, we have not implemented vehicle racks yet.

You can always take your radio, turn on the loud speaker, and throw it into the cargo though. That would make the vehicle a loudspeaker! :D

Very cool, thanks for answering back! Can't wait to test this out on the pub server and see player reaction. We don't require any mods to play but allow quite a few. Game chat has been crazy during peak hours and I'm hoping that by making this mod a requirement for ingame voice we can have some sort of sanity restored.

Thanks again, I'll be standing by!

I was wondering, is there a list of the field names for use with setPresetChannelField for each radio? Or should I just hunt around inside the PBOs to figure it out?

I was wondering, is there a list of the field names for use with setPresetChannelField for each radio? Or should I just hunt around inside the PBOs to figure it out?

You can view the names via getPresetData. You'll see the field names at the first array in the preset data.

We have not documented these fields yet, as we plan on adding another level of indirection on top of these API's later. These we added just to meet requests for API's.