solzenicyn

Weapon Inertia & Sway Feedback (dev branch)

Yeah I still don't see any side to side sway after doing that. there is an extra long swing upwards usually, but otherwise it goes right to normal breathing sway again. Now when you rotate quickly then I definitely get that side to side sway.

Allright, it might be happening to me because I am looking around constantly when in combat jog (not with the alt key, I am turning the whole avatar). That probably causes the lateral sway.

I think the sideways movement alone doesn't cause the horizontal sway but it adds to it if you're also turning at same time.

Try running forward and then do a quick 180 before ADS. You'll see a moderate sway. More than when just turning.

Then do the same but add some sideways moves to it like you probably normally do when going around corners. Sometimes this results in exaggerated lateral sway. Sometimes, not always. Only when your timing is just right (or wrong, in this case).

It could use a little tweaking perhaps.

Just tried this out and I think it's quite good, but I really was expecting heavy weapons to feel more sluggish. Anyway, what I noticed with this misalignment is that the projectile actually isn't fired in the direction of the misalignment, it's just fired in the direction of the front iron sight. Can someone else confirm this? I tried this with MX SW ironsights by snapping the weapon to a point and firing while the sights are still not yet aligned, and even at several hundred meters the bulllet lands where the front ironsight was when i fired. This becomes more apparent with tracers as they do not have any horizontal movement, they fly straight from you.

So, anyone care to make sure I'm not just fooling myself?

Just tried this out and I think it's quite good, but I really was expecting heavy weapons to feel more sluggish. Anyway, what I noticed with this misalignment is that the projectile actually isn't fired in the direction of the misalignment, it's just fired in the direction of the front iron sight. Can someone else confirm this? I tried this with MX SW ironsights by snapping the weapon to a point and firing while the sights are still not yet aligned, and even at several hundred meters the bulllet lands where the front ironsight was when i fired. This becomes more apparent with tracers as they do not have any horizontal movement, they fly straight from you.

So, anyone care to make sure I'm not just fooling myself?

It doesn't actually come straight from your eyes, but doesn't seem to come from the back of the gun either. The shots are slightly off target when your weapon is misaligned, but not nearly as much as you'd expect. I am not sure if this is just a perspective issue or what. But some people confirmed a couple days back that the bullets do not come out of your eyes and to the front sight. Just that the misalignment has less than expected impact on the shot.

(...)

So, while we do have holosights, they do not represent the direction the bullet is flying? (When moving the rifle and the encountering the inertia-effect, that is...)

lol what

IRL holo sights don't exactly represent where a bullet hits... Look up how they work on Wikipedia .. The sight pixture of the dot is projected onto your eye lens or something.

Tldr: that isn't how it works, you can view a holo sight from a angle.. It's a hologram after all

lol what

IRL holo sights don't exactly represent where a bullet hits... Look up how they work on Wikipedia .. The sight pixture of the dot is projected onto your eye lens or something.

Tldr: that isn't how it works, you can view a holo sight from a angle.. It's a hologram after all

You misunderstood...

What I'm implying is that though the holosight follows the angle the rifle makes relative to your line-of-sight with the inertia-effect, the bullet does not. So while moving a rifle aiming with a holosight is useless.

"The shots are slightly off target when your weapon is misaligned, but not nearly as much as you'd expect."

So, if the bullets do not get fired parallel to the barrel of the rifle, using holosights while moving the rifle is useless.

I think the sideways movement alone doesn't cause the horizontal sway but it adds to it if you're also turning at same time.

Try running forward and then do a quick 180 before ADS. You'll see a moderate sway. More than when just turning.

Then do the same but add some sideways moves to it like you probably normally do when going around corners. Sometimes this results in exaggerated lateral sway. Sometimes, not always. Only when your timing is just right (or wrong, in this case).

It could use a little tweaking perhaps.

makes sense, but then you are running and turning 180 before ADS. hardly a stable platform. Im looking forward to what BIS does going forward but right now it sometimes seems a little under 'interia'd' to me. though i do very occasioanl get a jerkiness when going fucken mad with my mouse while runnign around to try stress test this feature. Be good to know the PC specs of people who are having issues as well as what mods they are using. might be apmplified unput lag becuase otherwise I've always felt the effects a littler understated. Especially with the vast majority of people are happy with it or wanting a little more. so be good to find out more seeing this is the dev version.

and like mentioned above by someone as well, be great to have a sense of inertia when not held up to eyes because the weapon is in pretty much the exact same position but has a visble different looking set of physics applies to it. ADS in arma3 is not like bf4.

It doesn't actually come straight from your eyes, but doesn't seem to come from the back of the gun either. The shots are slightly off target when your weapon is misaligned, but not nearly as much as you'd expect. I am not sure if this is just a perspective issue or what. But some people confirmed a couple days back that the bullets do not come out of your eyes and to the front sight. Just that the misalignment has less than expected impact on the shot.

Thanks for pointing that out. Ofcourse that discussion started the page after I stopped reading.. :p

Well anyway, yes, something feels a bit off and bullets really don't seem to have lateral movement matching the misalignment and at normal engagement ranges I'd say the effect is negligible, as long as you know about it. But if you don't know about it and wait for the sights to realign, I guess i'ts fine

Well not from your eyes, it's hard to explain.

It's very optically stuff, I don't know it properly.

I am correct though that the holo aim circle is not tied to where your bullet is going to hit by some magic power.

I don't know how it looks in game, but i have looked through a holo sight in real life, it's just a weird scenitific thing if you look it up on Wikipedia for how it exactly works

lol what

No not exactly but they do give you a much better idea where the bullet will land, that's the whole point, you don't have to be perfectly aligned with the sight to make a shot as you would have to be with iron sights.

Look at this youtube clip:

and specifically look at where the reticule is on the target, it moves very little on the target despite moving at lot relative to the iron sight as the camera is moved around.

Well yes ik what you mean, I've used a holo sight and an aim point.

It's really a certain optical effect idk how to explain.

So, while we do have holosights, they do not represent the direction the bullet is flying? (When moving the rifle and the encountering the inertia-effect, that is...)

No, holosights work as they should. I was referring to ironsights and "zoomed in 3d scopes" like the arco. The misalighnemt of the irons looks like it should cause alot more side to side variation than it does. However I think this is merely due to the close perspective to the gun. Either way, right now with the amount of misalignment, its not that hard to engage targets at close range.

Well yes ik what you mean, I've used a holo sight and an aim point.

It's really a certain optical effect idk how to explain.

hmmm not sure what exactly your getting at. Holo sights are supposed to pretty much get rid of parralax error, at least at a preset range.

Yeah I'm saying like yes, I agree with you about how holo sights work, I'm just saying that I find it hard to explain so it's weird trying to write about it.

I just don't know the meanings about the parallax stuff, I do know how it works I just don't know how,to say it lol

Your right tho that they work how they should with inertia

Anyway hoping BI do something with 2d scopes for inertia... As a programmer I'm trying to think of how they would do it... Not sure how the scope area is defined in game (ie: does the game know what part of the overlay is the sight, (like the actual open circle part) I'm guessing no, so it might be difficult to do)

Hmmm

Yeah I'm saying like yes, I agree with you about how holo sights work, I'm just saying that I find it hard to explain so it's weird trying to write about it.

I just don't know the meanings about the parallax stuff, I do know how it works I just don't know how,to say it lol

Your right tho that they work how they should with inertia

Anyway hoping BI do something with 2d scopes for inertia... As a programmer I'm trying to think of how they would do it... Not sure how the scope area is defined in game (ie: does the game know what part of the overlay is the sight, (like the actual open circle part) I'm guessing no, so it might be difficult to do)

Hmmm

But why are you trying to explain how holosights work if that's not what anyone is talking about?

Edit: Clarity

Edited by roshnak

:confused: write about what?

I was pretty much clarifying what I meant to him, even though I did it in way too many words.

I don't see any problems mate, are you annoyed because you subbed to this thread or something and it's not relevant enough?

Sorry if there is an issue, I just don't see the problem.

Edit: derp I see what you mean

Though I understand it's not the most relevant thing, don't worry about it bro, clearly that was going to be my last comment about it, it sounded quite summary to me.

Anyway no néed to respond, it's a exhausted topic about those holosights so let's not continue discussion about it then :) sorry for any confusion

Edited by MikeTim

I don't know that this is a feature or bug, but turning from hip(optic mode + free look) not apply horizontal sway.

Anybody?

Anybody?

I think that floating zone (which is also activated via alt+optics) is just bad implemented. In Arma 2 the rotation speed during this optic floating zone is depending on the weapons weight, which was nice.

i think the freeaim/floatingzone is too speedy

there should be a lowered effect from the inertia on the weapon.

simply because you are having a stabilized stace

but in my opinion the inertia should effect the weapon more if you go outside of the center of aim

vote for/against it:

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=20446

Anybody?

Yes, I can confirm that. It is definitely a bug.

Will you make a ticket?

I see the gunplay of this game getting worse day by day.

First sway now the absurd inertiga that only generates more delay to aim inside the game.

¿Whats the point of all of this changes?, ¿improve the game simulation? I dont think so.

To me all this changes wants force sometipe of gameplay. A gameplay that remove from the game all the good shooters and reduce to the miminum the fast play.

Speaking about the main topic of the thead:

Where a weapon that you have taken with your hands can have inertia? and better than that: how a weapon with inerta has misaling his sights?

I see this is in pseudo-simulators but in Arma ???

Now the weapons of arma has made of some kind of rubber, or something similar.

I dont like all this changes for his exaggerated point of view and to is useless for the gameplay.

You are on a good way with the new weapon inertia. Even if some ppl don't like it that much if their wasteland gameplay feels less like call of duty than before. But in my opinion you are on a very good way, and as soon as there will be bipod usage /weapon the gunplay will work out very well, and even twitch shooter players like the post above will agree that tactical gameplay is fun and that it just works.

You are on a good way with the new weapon inertia. Even if some ppl don't like it that much if their wasteland gameplay feels less like call of duty than before. But in my opinion you are on a very good way, and as soon as there will be bipod usage /weapon the gunplay will work out very well, and even twitch shooter players like the post above will agree that tactical gameplay is fun and that it just works.

I would agree with you if the weapon resting feature was implemented. They added weapon sway and inertia without it so now it feels just like my gun is trolling me.

Oh well. I get the reasoning behind the features, we'll see how it evolves i guess.

Weapon resting will come (it bloody has to with the Marksman DLC)

For now you can use a Mod that enables Weapon resting. Gunplay is ok.

I see the gunplay of this game getting worse day by day.

First sway now the absurd inertiga that only generates more delay to aim inside the game.

¿Whats the point of all of this changes?, ¿improve the game simulation? I dont think so.

To me all this changes wants force sometipe of gameplay. A gameplay that remove from the game all the good shooters and reduce to the miminum the fast play.

Speaking about the main topic of the thead:

Where a weapon that you have taken with your hands can have inertia? and better than that: how a weapon with inerta has misaling his sights?

I see this is in pseudo-simulators but in Arma ???

Now the weapons of arma has made of some kind of rubber, or something similar.

I dont like all this changes for his exaggerated point of view and to is useless for the gameplay.

I try to view the issue on how it affects gameplay.

All of these new gameplay mechanics are now forcing players to think on how to approach a situation something that is fantastic.

The other benefit is that with the new shooting mechanics the weapons are more grounded in reality. Making a 300m shot is now relatively hard as it should be.