solzenicyn

Weapon Inertia & Sway Feedback (dev branch)

Is it just me who suddenly no longer has any sway whatsoever, even when heavily fatigued?

Is it just me who suddenly no longer has any sway whatsoever, even when heavily fatigued?

I have big sway when fatigued bit like before. Weapon resting reduces it a lot.

I hope with this patch that bis introduces some sway when the weapoon is not held up to the eyes, right now it feels very flat and robotic until you put the weapon up. then the inertia helps it. Be very good to have the fuidl feeling they are getting to come through in the way the weapon is held as well.

There is always sway, even when not looking through optics. It's just that the movements are to subtle to notice without the sights. You can test this yourself by using a bullet tracing script. Run around and make your character exhausted, and then fire fully automatic without looking through sights. See the lines from the bullet tracing script? They move around in the same manner as the sway.

There is always sway, even when not looking through optics. It's just that the movements are to subtle to notice without the sights. You can test this yourself by using a bullet tracing script. Run around and make your character exhausted, and then fire fully automatic without looking through sights. See the lines from the bullet tracing script? They move around in the same manner as the sway.

Even better way to test it without actually shooting, is spawning yourself as a recon scout at night, activate the NVG and the laser pointer. :)

thanks man, but im not talking sway (am happy that sway is always there, that's good).

i'm talking about inertia - aka not such angular changes of direction when moving the weapon. when the weapon is sights up then inertia is apparent and changing direction feels like the weapon has mass and thus a curve to its motion, but then when you are unsighted it follows your movements robotically.

Even better way to test it without actually shooting, is spawning yourself as a recon scout at night, activate the NVG and the laser pointer. :)

Haha, now you made me look really stupid, but that's okay :)

---------- Post added at 13:31 ---------- Previous post was at 13:27 ----------

By the way, I remember back when inertia was released that people complained about the iron sight misalignment was not working as expected. They said that the impact point was exactly where the front post of the sights where, but this is also not true. It's easy to debunk this by using timeaccel 0.1 and a tracing script. The trajectory of the projectile does follow where the muzzle is pointing, not where the camera and front post is pointing.

I like it very much how FFV inertia is implemented - not only it takes into consideration that vehicle is moving, but also direction, speed, acceleration of this movement plus direction of your aim. Basically every force that has to be considered is considered. It feels really natural and is implemented much better than I expected it to be. You never fail to impress me Bohemia Interactive.

i'm talking about inertia - aka not such angular changes of direction when moving the weapon. when the weapon is sights up then inertia is apparent and changing direction feels like the weapon has mass and thus a curve to its motion, but then when you are unsighted it follows your movements robotically.

Yes. In addition the extra inertia sway that happens due to quick turns, doesn't seem to take effect when not looking down the sights. So an effective tactic is to make your turns unsighted and then bring up your sights to avoid the inertia sway while rotating quickly. Obviously I don't think it should be this way. The inertia sway should work whether using sights or not.

However this was at least a month ago when I noticed this. Maybe it has been changed since.

Doesn'y work like that anymore, seems to be all good.

Edited by -Coulum-

Weapon intertia is always there, it doesn't matter if you are aiming or not. Just take a heavy sniper rifle and turn quick without using the sight. You will notice, that the camera shifts. It is just less obvious when the weapon is not directly in front of your face.

So I don't know if this is the right place to bring this up. I think it is to do with inertia. The scope shadows that appear on the MRCO are awesome and really helps to convey inertia. I just which that it would work on the sighs with magnification. This shadowing is exactly what they need. It does seem to be there but it is significantly less sensitive - whereas in reality the opposite would be true, as magnified sights are more sensitive to that shadowing due to misalignment. Really hope that is changed. And that the shadowing appears after recoil + bringing the sights up as well. Here's a vid showing off the shadowing if you missed it:

So I don't know if this is the right place to bring this up. I think it is to do with inertia. The scope shadows that appear on the MRCO are awesome and really helps to convey inertia. I just which that it would work on the sighs with magnification. This shadowing is exactly what they need. It does seem to be there but it is significantly less sensitive - whereas in reality the opposite would be true, as magnified sights are more sensitive to that shadowing due to misalignment. Really hope that is changed. And that the shadowing appears after recoil + bringing the sights up as well. Here's a vid showing off the shadowing if you missed it:

Good point but BIS is simulating it in the right way in my opinion. When your eyes are further away shadowing happens more easily than up close. There's two sides on this because the scopes aren't real 3D but only zoomed in.

When your eyes are further away shadowing happens more easily than up close. There's two sides on this because the scopes aren't real 3D but only zoomed in.

True but theoretically in game you are holding the sight at the same distance in both examples in the vid. Only thing that is changing is the power of the magnification. And more magnification means more sensitivity to that shadowing. But yeah, the problem stems from the magnified scopes not being real 3d sights, but rather just zoomed in/up close non magnified sights.

Hmm, I just noticed there's almost no sight misalignment when I rotate really quick, as in inertia would not kick in at all, anyone else?

Hmm, I just noticed there's almost no sight misalignment when I rotate really quick, as in inertia would not kick in at all, anyone else?

No problem on my end. Any certain weapon and accessory combo?

No problem on my end. Any certain weapon and accessory combo?

It behaved like that with all the weapons, kind of like it does when using deadzone but luckily it's fine now after checking the cache integrity, however now after testing it again I began to think the horizontal sway is too small when turning quick with heavy weapons, i.e. sniper rifles and MGs, they could use some more penalties in close quarters methinks.

To be honest, I don't feel that the difference between the inertia of an SMG and an assault rifle is pronounced enough. I still am not discouraged by the extra sway to clear a room with a giant machine gun.

Edited by Variable

To be honest, I don't feel that the difference between the sway of an SMG and an assault rifle is pronounced enough. I still am not discouraged by the extra sway to clear a room with a giant machine gun.

I agree , there are only small differences between them - in my opinion , everything with a longer barrel would need to have much higher weapon inertia - same thing on long sniper rifles and machine guns

To be honest, I don't feel that the difference between the inertia of an SMG and an assault rifle is pronounced enough. I still am not discouraged by the extra sway to clear a room with a giant machine gun.

Ye, my thoughts exactly, it would be good to make the player think twice if it's a good idea to storm a house with an MG, granted the recoil is hard to manage, but the lethality of the big caliber bullets surpasses that penalty, especially with short shooting distances.

Indeed. I usually don't bother switching to a close quarter weapon and stick with my machine gun since there is hardly a reason to. The concept is fine, but the differences are mushy at best, it needs to be MUCH more pronounced, otherwise I am really not sure why it was included.

Yeah... the difference between pistols and carbines is somewhat ok, but especially the big guns like machine guns and sniper rifles need MUCH more inertia. It must be really hard to bring them on target when there is a need to. The additional firepower means people will still use a machine gun instead of an SMG or anything smaller than a machine gun.

Inertia - It's a shame that something that has been thought about, wanted, developed, put effort on, is left to be a meaningless feature just because of too low values.

Yes please do something to adjust the inertia. It's far too easy to go rambo with a MG in close quarters as it is now.

I'd also like to see the inertia turned up on heavier/longer weapons, MMGs and heavy calibre snipers ect. Currently the difference in manoeuvrability between say an MXC to an M320 is negligible.

Also didn't ARMA 3 have weapon collision once upon a time too, or did I just imagine that?

Also didn't ARMA 3 have weapon collision once upon a time too, or did I just imagine that?

Yes, but it was terrible. It would be nice if there was a good weapon collision implementation, but that's probably not going to happen any time soon.