solzenicyn

Weapon Inertia & Sway Feedback (dev branch)

I am still interesting that the firing from helicopter, will affect to the weapon inertia?

I am still interesting that the firing from helicopter, will affect to the weapon inertia?

How do you mean?

Like, will the helicopter's movement contribute to the inertia effects?

How do you mean?

Like, will the helicopter's movement contribute to the inertia effects?

Exactly.

In the Smurf's world you are able to hold your weapon stable on a moving helicopter? Because in real world you can't.

In the Smurf's world you are able to hold your weapon stable on a moving helicopter? Because in real world you can't.

It seems highly unlikely that the game will have your sights misalign based on weapon weight due to the movement of the vehicle you are in.

It will be plenty difficult to shoot accurately from a moving helicopter without such a feature.

I doubt g force on the firer will affect gun inertia. In game it's a rotational thing, whereas in a chopper/car, the force could come from anywhere.

Imagine trying to sync that up in MP as well.

i don't think it is increase difficulty, moreover it's help you in aiming in some cases.

Currently it is very hard to aim with gun on the back of the pickup, because there is no inertia. You feel every small bump. With inertia the rotation and the move of the gun sight will move later then the vehicle. It should bounce up and down slower then the vehicle does. Sometimes it one bounce cancel the another and you don't feel the bounce at all. Of course that there is a negative side, when the move stop or in sharp turn, the weapon move away. It is the pilot/driver task to fly it in right way. As i imagine it would be easier to aim, not harder. You know what i mean? Think about it again.

Edit: Maybe the effect what i am talking about is not the inertia, but the "human re-correction, stabilization" or how it is called. But it is achievable with the inertia system.

Edited by danczer

Edit: Maybe the effect what i am talking about is not the inertia, but the "human re-correction, stabilization" or how it is called. But it is achievable with the inertia system.

I don't think it is, since as far as I am aware, the current inertia implementation is just a camera trick.

No, you're right. I think that's the exact definition of inertia.

It would be great when shooting from vehicles; not because it makes aiming harder/easier but it would feel much more natural than a rifle bolted on the truck's side.

I doubt g force on the firer will affect gun inertia. In game it's a rotational thing, whereas in a chopper/car, the force could come from anywhere.

Imagine trying to sync that up in MP as well.

G-force would throw your aim off, indeed - in real world. I don't think it's impossible to implement believably in game.

As for MP sync... Slightly misaligned aim is the least of problems

What would be super-sexy when firing from vehicles is if the the rounds lead the target rather than lag behind them. If you shoot from a helicopter at a stationary object, you actually need to lag the target to hit it. Not sure if you count that as "inertia," but it's how it works IRL due to the inertia of the rounds.

What would be super-sexy when firing from vehicles is if the the rounds lead the target rather than lag behind them. If you shoot from a helicopter at a stationary object, you actually need to lag the target to hit it. Not sure if you count that as "inertia," but it's how it works IRL due to the inertia of the rounds.

This is already the case, just try to hit a target to your left/right with any helicopter gun, you have to aim 'before' the target, depending on the aircrafts speed.

This is already the case, just try to hit a target to your left/right with any helicopter gun, you have to aim 'before' the target, depending on the aircrafts speed.

That's good to hear. I probably haven't tried to do this in a very long time.

First of all, just to clarify about your second point, Coulum is saying that it doesn't make sense that you can hold your breath for 8 seconds and 1.5 seconds hold you breath for another 8 seconds, and repeat this cycle forever.

This is the worst part about the hold breath feature. You can basically be in a "hold breath" state for the grand majority of the time, making the feature just an annoyance rather than a being at least some kind of simulation of real shooting. After holding breath for 8 seconds, it will take more than 1.5 seconds before you can hold breath for 8 seconds again without losing efficiency.

They could just induce tiny input lag when you hold breath too much (and that lag goes away quickly once you stop holding breath). Just like in real life your brain actually sees everything slightly delayed when you hold breath for more than 8 seconds.

Holding breath again after only breathing for 1.5 seconds should have a greatly reduced effectiveness - Make it only last a very short time and/or start the negative effects earlier.

This is the worst part about the hold breath feature. You can basically be in a "hold breath" state for the grand majority of the time, making the feature just an annoyance rather than a being at least some kind of simulation of real shooting. After holding breath for 8 seconds, it will take more than 1.5 seconds before you can hold breath for 8 seconds again without losing efficiency.

They could just induce tiny input lag when you hold breath too much (and that lag goes away quickly once you stop holding breath). Just like in real life your brain actually sees everything slightly delayed when you hold breath for more than 8 seconds.

Holding breath again after only breathing for 1.5 seconds should have a greatly reduced effectiveness - Make it only last a very short time and/or start the negative effects earlier.

Personally I think from running dropping and aiming holding breath you should only get 4 seconds controlled shooting . But if you ran dropped and waited didn't hold your breath till a little longer you get more seconds.

should you be prone relaxed and hold your breath you get seconds based on how many bursts of fire and if they are short or longer. The longer the less seconds your breath holds 4.5 controlled. Shorter bursts you can maintain the 8 seconds held breath with controlled shots.

Then have a greed measure people abusing the breath holding constantly in long bursts of fire in the same short engagement get slight blurred effect.

---------- Post added at 00:17 ---------- Previous post was at 00:00 ----------

This way holding your breath should be as much a tactical game, as maintaining low fatigue levels moving on the battlefield.

When to hold( as in waiting a second after you drop to the ground), and also your shooting bursts as you hold it decreasing the time you can hold it( short controlled bursts give you your max 8 seconds long ones less.)..

So basically it is not just this simple 8 second controlled fire.then the sway penalty.

Surely this is not intended behavior.

Experiencing that as well. Likewise no mods.

It's worked fine though before... the only thing really chage is that I used the updater in Arma 3 Tools to make a second install specifically for the dev branch. Will switch in my regular install and try it.

Edit Huh, works as intended when I switch the game itself over.

Edited by Fadi

*advice needed ( i m using stable version)

I have some serious problems with weapon sway+Fatigue.

I don't want to fully reinstall ARMA3 so..

which are the "relevant" .pbo's /.dll's etc i have to erase and check integrity for "surgical" reinstalling?? ^^

Why not run "Verify cache" instead of trying to delete specific PBOs?

I think that's what he wants to do. Delete the problem .pbos and then force a redownload through verifying the cache.

I think that's what he wants to do. Delete the problem .pbos and then force a redownload through verifying the cache.

exactly :)

exactly :)

I don't know what those files are, but couldn't you just try switching off and back on the dev branch?