solzenicyn

Weapon Inertia & Sway Feedback (dev branch)

Initial feedback:

I really like it and it feels right for weapons with open sights, holopoints and 3D scopes. But, there isn't any visual feedback that you are misaligned with the sights when turning using 2D scopes. Or the 2d scopes are never misaligned when turning - one or the other. i haven't figured it out yet as I've only played with it for 5 mins so far.

It's as if the shooters eye is glued to the same spot when using 2D and now we can see inertia for every other type of sight, it makes it look even more rigid.

Can you add some effects in for parallax on 2d scopes, like another couple of layers that swing about like in the old ScopeFX mod for Arma 2? Or at least some sort of indication that the shooters eye is misaligned due to turning?

SKIP TO 0:50

But better than that obv :)

EDIT: It seems that weapons with 2d scopes are subject to inertia when not zoomed, but then when you zoom in there is no inertia and you can spin round and do snap shots.

Yes I was feeling this too. Weapon inertia for holo sights and iron sights on the whole is beautiful. When it comes to zoomed 3d sights and 2d sights not so much. You can tell it isn't function quite as inteneded. Would love to see scope shadowing to show you the weapon misaignemnt like what you show, or even better like this (1:50):

And I am not referring to the 3d sights in that vid, just to the shadowing. I guess it would be hard to implement with the current arma 3 "pseudo 3d sights" but that would be key to make this feature consistent across all the weapons and optics.

I like the new weapon inertia , just on heavier weapons it could be more slower (maybe even slow down the iron sight mode too? - not instant switch view like it is now)

I agree, especially the large sniper rifles. LMG's maybe a bit as well. It would be cool it the same kind of slow alignment occured when bringing up the sights as well (it makes sense as well, because small er weapon are easier to snap up and onto target)

Prone should also have much slower alignment recovery, and higher sway penalty after sudden rotations, for all weapons imo.

Edited by -Coulum-

Yes that is a perfect example - also see here for good demonstration of parallax error (about 0.58).

I really like it so far! just a suggestion: can you guys make switching from primary weapons to pistols take longer the heavier they are? eg, switching from a sniper rifle to a pistol should take longer than switching from an SMG to a pistol.

Initial feedback:

I really like it and it feels right for weapons with open sights, holopoints and 3D scopes. But, there isn't any visual feedback that you are misaligned with the sights when turning using 2D scopes. Or the 2d scopes are never misaligned when turning - one or the other. i haven't figured it out yet as I've only played with it for 5 mins so far.

It's as if the shooters eye is glued to the same spot when using 2D and now we can see inertia for every other type of sight, it makes it look even more rigid.

Can you add some effects in for parallax on 2d scopes, like another couple of layers that swing about like in the old ScopeFX mod for Arma 2? Or at least some sort of indication that the shooters eye is misaligned due to turning?

EDIT: It seems that weapons with 2d scopes are subject to inertia when not zoomed, but then when you zoom in there is no inertia and you can spin round and do snap shots.

agreed. i'd also like to see some kidn of representation for when you just hold the weapon without any sights. maybe some representation on the crosshair although that would not help for playing without it. i agree about what someone said earlier that now in contrast it looks a bit robotic when turning the weapon when it's just normal in your hands. maybe a slight camera shift is needed here.

there isn't any visual feedback that you are misaligned with the sights when turning using 2D scopes.

Yes, that's definitely a limitation of the current state, unfortunately. The improvement to 3d/iron sights in some ways accentuates the shortcomings of other optics, but we felt it was still worth including now nevertheless. We'll have to make a similar decision before merging these changes to the default branch.

With the Marksmen DLC in mind, we're already looking at something similar to what you've suggested, but I'd not actually seen this reference before (ScopeFX), so thanks a lot for the link!

Best,

RiE

Parralax misalignment would be quite an interesting feature to have... It'd make snipers need to have more experience.

I think the problem with the 2D scopes is the following thing:

The weapon inertia is just a kind of camera movement effect. Just turn around in third person, your weapon does not move like it seems to do in first person. But even in first person the weapon does not move. It is just the camera that moves left/right and causes the off-centering by simple parallax. But this does not work for 2D-scopes, because there the view is "attached" to the muzzle. And if there is no new weapon movement introduced with this change, you won't have any inertia effect.

But: I don't really think that this is necessary for 2D scopes. You already move with them much slower, so it already feels like your weapon has weight. And because of the slow movement while looking through the 2D scopes, there won't be any noticeable inertia effect.

All in all, it's fine how it is! Good Job Bohemia!

It's the other way around BlackPixxel, the camera is fixed and does exactly what the mouse does. Weapon inertia affects the weapon, not the camera.

i'm a owner of real guns like M4 civilian, pistols and shotgun, my opinion, more realism is more good for me, for example real use of bipod, jams, more weapons, scopes, vehicles, heli and other from current timeline will be more cool because i can image to use current armaments.

Old patch, i have shot 10 round to less 10yard distance and enemie don't die, 5.56 nato fly at 1000meter/second and for me see that is not good, hope to more real injures, , for other i like much Arma3, good job

thanks for

Edited by Americanel

hi bohemia,

like the first steps you made with this update, but please

fix also the turning speed of our virtual soldiers.

don't like to turn 360 degrees in less than a second in a

prone position.

realistic turning speeds would give us much more immersive

feellin'

so bohemia would you be so kind ...

love you guys!

thnx and cheers.

If I have a criticism, it seems a little too easy to 180 with a sniper rifle in combat stance without aiming and get a pretty accurate shot away. Did we apply the weapon sway to combat stance? It seem great with an aimed weapon though, can be quite tricky handling heavier caliber weapons CQB now.

Actually, Americanel, some calibers can be less lethal at close range than medium range (against unarmored target). This is especially common with modern high velocity ammunition. It's becouse at close range it is likely to just pass straight through the target, while at medium range you get the tumbling effect and create a larger wound cavity. The damage system in Arma3 can take this into account if the config files are setup correctly, but I'm not convinced the devs put any time into actually configuring this correctly. I belive I read a scientific report (becouse I was working on ballistics in a mod) investigating this effect on the 7.62x51 NATO and they found that the worst wounds were made at 200 meters.

With that said though, I agree that the damage system has problems, especially when introducing personal protection like plate carriers and helmets. It does not currently work as intended, for example, a plate carrier protects the entire character, not just the body, and projectiles always penetrate even when it should not, it just takes away 50% of the damage each projectile makes.

Edited by Brisse

It's the other way around BlackPixxel, the camera is fixed and does exactly what the mouse does. Weapon inertia affects the weapon, not the camera.

If it would affect the weapon we would have an inertia effect for 2D scopes too. It is just a camera movement, your head and the weapon don't move, just try it in third person.

Sounds like a very importnat, long-overdue change. Can't wait to see how it changes the game completely like it should.

I like the new weapon inertia , just on heavier weapons it could be more slower (maybe even slow down the iron sight mode too? - not instant switch view like it is now)

Agreed. I like what I see, but what I expected was also that turning with a machinegun would be slower than with an SMG. This, I think, is important to balance CQB especially in urban terrain.

If it would affect the weapon we would have an inertia effect for 2D scopes too. It is just a camera movement, your head and the weapon don't move, just try it in third person.

Aren't the 1st person and 3rd person two different things anyway? I mean in 1st person your weapon doesn't clip thru walls but in 3rd person they do, also if I remember correct ADS doesn't show in 3rd person at all but only 1st person.

There is no ADS in Arma, your head does not move. It is just the camera that moves closer to the sight. And your weapon also glitches into buildings in first person view. But it always gets rendered above anything else, so it looks like it does not glitch into something.

There is no ADS in Arma.

What?

And your weapon also glitches into buildings in first person view. But it always gets rendered above anything else, so it looks like it does not glitch into something.

That's what I said, 1st and 3rd person are different.

I mean that there is no animation for aiming down sights. Your head will not move, not in first person and not in third person. And the second thing is just about the render process. The animations and everything are the same in both views.

But I guess we are off topic, let's get back to weapon inertia.

I mean that there is no animation for aiming down sights. Your head will not move, not in first person and not in third person. And the second thing is just about the render process. The animations and everything are the same in both views.

But I guess we are off topic, let's get back to weapon inertia.

Ah, now I get it, I always thought the gun is lifted a little, no wonder ADS doesn't show in 3rd person then.

Yes, back on topic.

This most be the least controversial new feature ever implemented. Look BIS, everybody is cheering, no one is complaining! Keep up the good work!

Problem is that the holosights/aimpoints are not zeroed at some distance--there is no parallax--, but are mere sprites attached to the tip of the gun barrel. So actually using them while moving the weapon takes you nowhere... I do like the optical effect though! :)

This most be the least controversial new feature ever implemented. Look BIS, everybody is cheering, no one is complaining! Keep up the good work!

You haven't seen my post yet. :mad: jk

A note on aiming deadzone. it appears that weapon movement inside of an aiming deadzone doesn't inflict any aiming penalty.

Problem is that the holosights/aimpoints are not zeroed at some distance--there is no parallax--, but are mere sprites attached to the tip of the gun barrel. So actually using them while moving the weapon takes you nowhere... I do like the optical effect though! :)

When I do holosights and aimpoints (for mods) I always place the sprite several hundred meters downrange, that takes away almost all the parallax, and ingame, the user experience it as no parallax. I sure hope the devs did the same on the vanilla sights, but I'm not sure. Just placing it at the end of the barrel is not good enough.

In fairness when they staged fatigue on devbranch the response was overwhelming positive, and look how that turned out. :D

However, I've just installed devbranch again so it's time to have a play.