solzenicyn

Weapon Inertia & Sway Feedback (dev branch)

Hi there,

in the recent update of development branch you will find the new weapon inertia mechanics together with adjusted breathing and weapon sway. These changes are going to significantly improve the overall weapon handling in our game. Therefore we would like to start this thread to share thoughts and discuss opinions about these important improvements to our game. As with fatigue mechanics before, we would like to gladly ask you for a valuable, constructive and civilized feedback upon the features of weapon inertia, sway and breathing. We would like to gladly ask you to refrain from discussing other features like weapon resting / deployment, bi-pods and so on. We clearly recognize them all as an important issues, but such discussions are completely pointless here.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Edited by Solzenicyn

Atlast weapon inetia! YAYY!!!!!

I guess that wan't too constuctive but I had to. Can't wait to try it out. Will there be an oprep concerning this?

My first impression:

Wow, what a cool solution. I really like the new weapon behaviour. I expected one of two other possible ways, but this is much better!

I thought of: -Weapon "lags" when you rotate, so you have to wait until it turns with you.

-Sights will be not in the center of the screen after fast rotations

But this one feels much better. It is too early for me to find some weaknesses, but I can say that I really like it!

this new beahviour is pretty sweet. i like it, still experimenting but its real nice.

one question, why is it more smooth and obviously shows momentim/interia when it's up to your eye, but when held normally it goes back to being jerky and seemingly without inertia?

I'd expect having it down to have even more inertia as its not being held on target but rather a little looser. but now when weapon is down its very jerky/robotic when changing direction a lot like before imo (test it by moving mouse left and right - jerky) but put it up to your eye (right mouse click once) and it gains interia and behaves more like id expect something with weight to behave.

Edited by twisted

How can the developers of this game dedicate so much time to the handling of weapons and not once mention weapon resting?

By your command: OPREP: Weapon Inertia.

Awesome oprep, thank you.

Got a chance to quickly try it and it looks awesome. Very nice addition. Will get time to more thoroughly test later.

Does the AI are taking in count the inertia?

Edited by Papanowel

How can the developers of this game dedicate so much time to the handling of weapons and not once mention weapon resting?

Please stick to the subject of this thread, which is not weapon resting. (And they have mentioned it in one of the recent SITREPs or OPREPs. It is being evaluated for the marksmen DLC.)

Note that any further off-topic posts will be deleted without comment.

This is really cool! I especially like that things such as bullpup design are accounted for, and the holosights actually have a unique advantage now. Hooray for diversification!

Holy hell I really dig the implementation of this! Quite impressed to be honest.

Just had a quick test in the Arsenal, massive step forward! :yay:

Now I'm eagerly waiting for the new parts to arrive so I can really test this ingame.

Good job Bohemia.

This is really cool! I especially like that things such as bullpup design are accounted for, and the holosights actually have a unique advantage now. Hooray for diversification!

^this

Very impressive, I have to test this.

Yes its pretty sweet. I going to be scavenging Katiba's off enemies whenever possible now. Just need slightly more muzzle rise on those bullpups compared to standard designs to balance it out a bit.

Is there a meaningful difference between full lenght rifle and carbine's now? (Example MX vs. MXC)

May I ask for modding's sake: How does one configure these things in custom weapons? Is it tied to their mass or is it something else entirely?

Either way, proper good. Not what I was expecting, but better.

May I ask for modding's sake: How does one configure these things in custom weapons? Is it tied to their mass or is it something else entirely?

I'll add some documentation SoonTM together with updating the weapon sample :icon_twisted:

Over the next few weeks' date=' we'll publish more technical documentation on the community wiki for those who would like to adjust our predefined behaviour and settings. For now, all the relevant parameters are to be found within the main configuration of Data_F addon. It should be noted that the internal workings of these mechanics are fairly complex, and all parameters should be tweaked together with care. Our implementation allows for the simulation of wide range of (im)possible behaviours and there are no strict boundaries for parameters / value ranges. The general rule of thumb is that exact values are not so important as the ratio of values between parameters of the same class, but feel free to experiment. Also, the script command "weaponInertia" returns the array of two values: current inertia in horizontal and vertical axis.[/quote']

http://dev.arma3.com/post/oprep-weapon-inertia

Coming soonâ„¢

e: A ninja apparently bounced in just before me.

This is amazing.

One year ago I thought "sight misallignment would be cool but hm, guess that'll never happen" and now... woohoo!

Just tested it for a bit, VERY nice!

Initial feedback:

I really like it and it feels right for weapons with open sights, holopoints and 3D scopes. But, there isn't any visual feedback that you are misaligned with the sights when turning using 2D scopes. Or the 2d scopes are never misaligned when turning - one or the other. i haven't figured it out yet as I've only played with it for 5 mins so far.

It's as if the shooters eye is glued to the same spot when using 2D and now we can see inertia for every other type of sight, it makes it look even more rigid.

Can you add some effects in for parallax on 2d scopes, like another couple of layers that swing about like in the old ScopeFX mod for Arma 2? Or at least some sort of indication that the shooters eye is misaligned due to turning?

SKIP TO 0:50

But better than that obv :)

EDIT: It seems that weapons with 2d scopes are subject to inertia when not zoomed, but then when you zoom in there is no inertia and you can spin round and do snap shots.

I was wondering about misalignment with the 2D scopes too. But I did noticed there is a temporary increase in sway if you spin around.

As long as there is always an option to disable it. The fatigue system is not good for a lot of single player experiences. The AI is too good at finding firing solutions and no one wants to WALK 3 kilometers with a bunch of AI who can't talk with you along the way or anything. It's an immersion multiplier for milsim and large multiplayer experiences, no doubt. But please always keep a disable option for us singleplayer folk.

Is there a meaningful difference between full lenght rifle and carbine's now? (Example MX vs. MXC)

The differences between MX and MXM and MXC are definitely visible but I don't think they're very different in real action.

edit. Ok, when you're tired the lenght matters a lot more. :)

And, is it just my imagination or does the weight of your loadout also affect the misalignment? Because that would be awesome!

Edited by Greenfist

I like the new weapon inertia , just on heavier weapons it could be more slower (maybe even slow down the iron sight mode too? - not instant switch view like it is now)