Sign in to follow this  
spookygnu

Armatraz

image_preview.php?i=114&u=17988627

Hi all! I present to you a WIP of an A3 model of Alcatraz, hence the name Armatraz!

As many might know, I'm the author of the Icarus Solar Station, that was recieved quite well and I thankyou all who downloaded it. I mentioned in the release of that template something about another project. Well I decided to take the leap and go forth into the realms of building an actually addon.

Armatraz is an A3 version of Alcatraz with A3 models. I have used real world data for the island and with some help from various members of our community I have managed to release a WIP pic.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwGVkyqKfsc0TXQ2WTRib05jeFU/edit?usp=sharing

This version I thought would be ideal for a starter island for me, so I could get used to the tools and how to build a terrain. Perfect in size, perfect for model placement and perfect for all who wanna have a few fast TVT, PVP games. This is more so you can have a fuck about on it and just simply run around a model based on the RL island.

PLANNED!

version 1 release within 3 months

Playable demo mission

version 2 (read below)

Version 2:

This will be my attempt at taking a next step forward in terrain building and addon creation. I plan to release version one in 3 months maybe sooner, take a break and then learn how to model.

Using the same file data of the island I currently have, my ambition for this project is to have a version that has all the buildings and subnetwork that is currently on the RL island. This version will NOT have a3 buildings. I would like to attempt a 1:1 scale replica of the island with a sub network of tunnels, sewer system etc, then you can all make your version of the film THE ROCK! lol! Also the buildings themselves will look like the real ones, inside will be working cell doors, maybe even the hole in the wall.

Sounds ambitious I know, but hey, time isn't of the essence so when it's done it's done!

Version one like I said I plan to release within 3 months. I'm making some good headway on this atm, so hopefully it won't be four years before I release it. lol!

Thanks.

Edited by SpookyGnu

Looks good Spooky, will it have the tunnel network as featured in The Rock? ;D

Looking good Spooky! look forward to seeing it with all the buildings etc added in

What a great idea. When I visited it a few years ago you could see how tough it would be to assault it.

Also, great environment for PvP or TvT.

Looking forward to this!

Anyone got a video of this in action?

What??? not sure I get what you are talking about?? if you are on about a video of my build, the image shows the current state and as the first post mentions, its a WIP! Only I have the files! So, no there isn't anything recorded yet!

Awesome!

I was lucky enough to visit Alcatraz when I was in San Francisco, which was really cool.

Here's another pic for you all folks! This is the feel i was going for??

http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=115&u=17988627

If you are interested in the map i'm open to suggestions on what to do with the map. The image shows the main cell block area, and the route i was taking. I was wondering how people felt about having A3 fortifcations on it??

Looks great, I think A3 fortifications would work, although I'm not sure how.

Have you considered making a small island a few km away from this? So if someone was make a mission to fly, break in, get a prisoner, get out, and fly him away to said island. - If you get what I mean? (I'm making a hash of explaining this lol)

I had thought about making something else nearby, but thought against it as I wanted to solely focus on just building this as my very first thing. There are nearby islands in RL but that would mean making the map bigger to fit them in. If someone wanted to there's no harm in using an LHD or the Nimitz to use for SF inserts. Or even start of in boats at the edge of the map using a triggerzone so if they did get a prosoner out or whatever and they left that trigger then mission complete.

I didn't think of the nimitz, but sounds like a good idea, much better than making an island. Wish you the best of luck, looking forward to it!

Good map idea .

Though , the most important part of alcatraz is the inside/underground : lots of work since arma never had really good ones ( vanilla i mean )

Anyway i look froward v2 realease .

Keep up the good work .

( maybe take a look at the movie "murder in the first" for a different point of view )

I will take a look vince! thanks for the tip, seen the rock tooooo many times and I'm re-watching it. I'm also gunna check out the series Alcatraz to get some inspiration. Albeit only one series! lol!

anyway, I had a slight setback last week over TB, and buldozer and then packing the island so those images are out off date. I wasn't overly happy with the way the terrain was in places aswell, so I've finally re-worked it and I have a pretty good version this time.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwGVkyqKfsc0eEdKNnE4VjJ3OG8/edit?usp=sharing

textures aren't too great but I was focusing more on how the terrain was shaped tbh, so watch this space and v1 will be in re-build mode over the next few weeks.

cheers!

I didn't realize before visiting Alcatraz, but the island was about 60% residential with housing and other stuff for the guards and thier family's. My internet searches would include this aspect if I had your ability for terrain making;)

As it's a national park, there's a bunch of stuff here. Also a lot of books focus on this aspect of the island.

http://www.nps.gov/alca/index.htm

Looking forward to it.

As BIS are a little bit poo when it comes to updates to Terrain builder and the rest of the tools, the A3 pre-binerised models do not show up on the map in game. I have been told to use A1/a2 buildings because they are slightly different and will show up, I'm refusing too, call me stubborn if you like, I'm trying to keep the file sucsynced and consistent with the layout. simply because I will not get the result I am after otherwise.

Anyway, my plan as a back up to this is to release V1 with nothing but A3 buildings, and, also release an editor template file for you if you want it. This will have a set of markers laid out roughly showing where the buildings are. If BIS get their act together, this work around won't be needed obviously.

Amazing work man :D

Will it be inserable into arma 3 vanilla island ? I'm currently working on a multiplayer mod based on prison escape, this could be awesome :D