Sign in to follow this  
shindigero

Server won't load my custom mission

I just want to make it clear from the start that I'm pretty new to mission editing and my ambitions are very limited :)

A few friends and I recently started renting a server and I made a quick mission for us with 6 players where the leader has access to MCC and Zeus so we can quickly make dynamic, customisable missions on the fly. I tested it by making a quick LAN match with a friend and it worked fine, we were both able to join and play. However in our rented server if I try to load the mission it just goes back to the mission selection screen.

I decided to experiment and see what it was that stopped the mission loading so I made a simple mission with one rifleman and I was able to load it in the server. However if I add more playable riflemen or either the Zeus or MCC module the server won't load the mission.

Does anyone know why this is? What do I need to do to allow mutliple playable units/the modules I want to be added to my mission?

I'd suggest looking at the server .rpt file after loading the mission.

Most likely it is a dependency to an addon or so.

Do you have a description.ext for your mission?

I'm not sure if you absolutely need it for a dedicated server, but If I remember correctly I always needed one for my missions when I uploaded them to a server.

I'll check the .rpt file although i don't think that addon dependencies should be an issue, the missions I made without the MCC module in used only vanilla NATO riflemen.

I hadn't made a description.ext, I had wondered if that might be the issue but I didn't know what I'd need to put in it. I've only ever copied and pasted description.ext files or made simple respawn ones. What would I need to put in it to get the mission to load?

I'll give you an example:

First in your mission folder place a new text file or note pad file. Open it and select "save as". Under file name call it Description.ext. under "Save as type" select all files.

Once you have that done you can begin to write some things in the file.

Author = "your name";
OnLoadName = "your mission name";
onLoadMission = "your mission description";
OverViewText = "your mission description on the mission selection menu";
OverViewPicture = "your picture on the mission selection menu";
Loadscreen = "your picture";

//Respawn

Respawn = 3;
RespawnDelay = 15;
RespawnDialog = 1;

This would be a very basic but working setup.

The BI wiki has loads of information on the different things you can do with the description.ext

here's a link: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Description.ext

Hope I helped!

I'll check the .rpt file although i don't think that addon dependencies should be an issue, the missions I made without the MCC module in used only vanilla NATO riflemen.

Some mods can add themselves as dependencies if you have them loaded while making a mission... check your mission.sqm file and make sure the Addons and Addons Auto only have Arma 3 vanilla stuff there (JSRS for Arma 2 was a good example of this). What you are describing sounds exactly like the server not having required mods (immediate kick back to missions screen).

Try going into the mission sqm and deleting anything that adds an add on dependency, quite commonly in arma 2, jsrs would do this to missions.

Was not aware of the thing about mods adding themselves as dependencies, I don't think its the issue in this case but I'll bear it in mind in the future. Just added a description.ext to the mission with multiple players and it now loads fine. I'll check it works when I add the modules but I think could be problem solved, thanks for all your help.

EDIT: Its all working now, thanks for the help. There was an element of mod dependencies to it but that part was me forgetting to put MCC on the server buts its all solved now.

Edited by shindigero