Sign in to follow this  
Ex-RoNiN

Recommended tuning suggestions

1a) Uninstall Resistance, Uninstall OFP Gold, Uninstall OFP. Manually remove any remaining OFP folders.

1b) I recommend downloading the latest drivers for your soundcard, graphics card, and possible your motherboard too.

2) Make a clean install of OFP, OFP Gold, v. 1.46, Resistance.

3) Run "Flashpoint Preferences", press "auto-detect", customise your settings, then press "exit".

4) Right-click on your "Flashpoint Resistance" shortcut, select "properties", then go to "target" and add the following command at the end: "-nosplash". Without the "" and period of course. The content of the "target" box should then look similar to this:

c:\games\operationflashpoint\flashpointresistance.exe -nosplash

5) Go to your user directory (c:\games\operationflashpoint\users\username\) and find the file called "UserInfo.cfg". Open it with notepad, scroll to the bottom, then replace the following values:

viewDistance=906.003723;

terrainGrid=12.500000;

viewDistance controls view Distance, while terrainGrid controls the terrain levels - on this setting, it sets terrain to normal. Save the file.

6) If you suffered from the infamous bug of 10 hours loading time during splash screens, then this should have fixed it. You can now set off to tweaking the game closer to your possibilites/needs.

If you have any further suggestions about other bugs, then please post them here - but keep this thread spam free, I will only allow tweaking tips. Other comments will be deleted I'm afraid.

Thanks to Placebo for coming up with this smile.gif

By the way, with the machine below, I run Resistance at 1024*768, 32 bit, 800m viewdistance, normal terrain, but high LOD's. Performance is a bit choppy, but playable.

Edited by W0lle
Import fixed

o/s Windows 2000 professional

VIA motherboard (latest 4in1 adapters) installed

pIII gig

256 ram

geforce2 3d prophet gts 32mb

Soundblasterlive 5.1

Cpu benchmark result= 1777

I'm running at 2000 view distance, 1024x768x32, normal terrain, and i get the odd 'stutter' graphically, but playable. I tried to tweak it for better performance but strangely it made things worse(flickery textures), but with an autodetect things got better, even though the autodetect give me far higher settings than i'd manually tried (1024 for cockpit details etc and a higher Geo setting)

However i tried 'very high' terrain level and the pc froze BAD, i couldnt even get the task manager up, after about 5 mins control reassumed and the option for 'very high' terrain detail had gone??

So i wouldnt bother trying unless you got at least p4 and a geforce3

Hope this is some help  wink.gif

as you increase the view distance the highest possible terrain setting decrease's so it something like High quality for 0-1500m , above 1500m then High is the highest setting possible ,beyond 3000m then normal is the highest quality terrain setting. The figures are accurate and its 2 late to check the real values.

Another option worth checking is out is to Disable EAX in the sound options, esp if you have a SB Live and running in XP or 2000. Connected is to run Dxdiag.exe and reduce sound card acceleration. This can also be accessed via the sound windows control panel applet.

I also noticed that in preferences my score is about 3200-3700 it fluctuates would imagine when it is 3200 and I keep it at that I would get better performance as it would turn the detail settings down compared to when I get 3700.

So it might be worth it you use the automatic feature to run some CPU intensive apps at the same time to reduce the score thus decreasing the quality options.

Another thing in preferences. the 1st option total memory for me was set at 128mb , I have 768mb physical ram so I up this to about 512mb. this doesn’t seem to change with auto detect.

Also with some missions where the weather is bad , uppping the max view distance doesnt affect visiblity or to a very minor degree, i.e the 2nd mission convey, i found though it does seem to affect FPS anyway , as there is no point to a high view distance on missions like this due to the fog i turn it down just for those types of missions. Other ones might be the type of terrain i.e in valleys where you cant see that far anyway due to mountains blocking the view so you might as well get a higher FPS and down the view distance.

OFPR score 3200-3700

Intel P4 1700Mhz

GF3

768Mb Ram

Windows XP

SB Live 5.1

Worked fine for me, i just tested it and no more sloooooooooow splashscreens, not that i'd notice i use the nosplash usually, but all else loads faster ie getting to the continue and start the mission in singleplayer etc, worth a try anyway folks.

I've already posted this on another thread, but I think it might give a good impression of the influence of RAM to performance with the ground detail setting:

Specs: AMD TBird 900, 512MB SD133, GF2GTS 32MB Det. 29.80, 32GB 7200rpm HDD, SBLive5.1Player, W2k

Oprah settings:

disabled some shadow features

reduced the cockpit texture setting (don't know how much performance this might bring, but I don't care too much about the cockpit, so what )

reduced the number of objects(256 is default, I changed to 200)

Light sources down to 20 instead 25 or 26

Viewdistance at ~1000

ground details high

1024x768x32 @75 or 85Hz on 19" monitor

don't know what else

I played a little more around, someone else should verify this results of memory usage:

Main menu with the according map in background (loading a mission on it, but cancel it)

Nogova:

very low: 180MB

high: 248MB

very high: 403MB

Desert Island:

very low: 47MB

high: 120MB

very high: 300MB

Everon:

very low: 125MB

high: 180MB

very high: 384MB

I also noticed that when you reduce the setting the memory is not set free. Smells like a potential issue...

I checked the memory usage of the Resistance process in the TaskManager by ALT-TABbing, so it might not be 100% accurate. (eg. 155% increase from low to high at Desert Island, but only 38%/44% on the others)

If these values are correct, it will be pretty much impossible to play Resistance on a 128MB maschine.

If trying updated drivers does not solve your problems take a look at this thread, Freezes Solved?

After suffering endless crashes and freezes, I think I have found the solution for my two systems. I REDUCED the AGP Aperture settings in BIOS of both motherboards to 64Mb and haven't had a freeze since.

If you still have problems, you may have to bite the bullet and disable 4xAGP in the BIOS too. Not something we want to do, but to play Resistance smoothly, it might be worth it.

Good Luck!

The memory problems might be because of the high res textures (this happens also in games like SOF2). If you set texture resolutions to high the game will require LOT of memory. At first I set the textures to 2048x2048 and the game was running quite good but wasn't playable because it stuttered so much. Then I turned textures to 512x512 and cockpits to 256x256 (like WhoCares said the cockpits aren't so important) and stutterin was gone except in thick forests and near those nice looking pine trees.

But sometimes the game just crashes without warning, could it be a memory problem. My system:

AMD Athlon 1333Mhz

Geforce 2 GTS 64Mb

512Mb sdram 133, free physical memory is about 325Mb

40Gb HD, with 12.6 free where Resistance is

As a rought performance guide for what to expect...

I dont see any performance difference in FPS between High and Normal. i have a Gf3Ti500(default clocks), 1333(266) t/bird, 512mb crucial 2100, and a Iwill ka266-r mobo. at 1280x1024 (19inch monitor), terrain high, image quality full, frames to the left, i get a perfectly playable game. 3000 CPU auto detect benchmark with Resistance but olny 2500 with the original OFP!.

Trouble is Resistance crashes and CTD's very frequently!. i've reinstalled completly(delete Codemasters folder) 5 times now!. every time OFP(1.46) plays fine, but crashes when i install Resistance sad.gif ...

One thing i noticed is when trying to start the game Resistance with the CD auto start displayed 'Flashpoint preferences' panel i get an 'insert correct CD' message!, but if i use the one in the start programs menu its fine...., what gives?... confused.gif

Yet another tip:

Instead using High terrain detail, increase the Geometry performance (not too much). This makes the terrain much more nicer and doesn't kill your system like High terrain detail may do, and besides with High terrain detail it's very hard to use vehicles because they bounce all the time. I raised the Geometry performance from 2900 to 6041 and the effect was great and it didn't drop my FPS at all.

To BoonieRat: did you install the game into a default folder, C:\ProgramFiles\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint ? It helped a bit for me.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">For me i never seen the difference betwen Max gemotry detail and minimum<span id='postcolor'>

Then you must be blind or something smile.gif´, because when I raised Geometry detail to 8000 and loaded Malden everything was so smooth (terrain detail normal) and those huge cliffs looked very nice. Nogova has already so smooth geometry but for old islands this setting is a must.

don't know about texture resolution, i have try 1024

and 512, and don't see difference, also i play in 512 (OFP default)

It is very strange, i have made 2 screenshot

in 592 geometry detail and one in 54000 geometry detail (the max)

i the 2 screenshot look the same (i have take the SS on the

castle in everon face to the valley)

the more strange is than my game is more smoother with

max geometry detail (the Battlefield mission wasn't playable before)

wow.gif

You say strange? that is really strange

Now that is really strange, because with 6041 the landscape is smooth and realistic (atleast for me). Gotta check how it will look with 54000.

Umm Link, very high detail terrain needs VERY good computer (better than yours) and besides it might look good but it's not good for playability since all vehicles will just bounce all around the islands. Same goes with high detail, game looks good but it's not very playable. Normal terrain detail looks very good IMO and is very playable and runs smoothly.

To L etranger:

I checked out the geometry thing again and yes, you are right it doesn't affect at all. But also I found out something. It seems that Resistance has increased the terrain detail by default (just like BIS said it would). The normal terrain detail setting has better terrain detail than old OFP ever had. Very low terrain detail is the one that can be found from old OFP. Thats why I though that geometry performance had something to do with smoothness. So for those who are having slowdowns with the normal terrain detail drop detail to low/very low. It should make the game run as smoothly as in old OFP.

I have find why my ofp was so slow

my texture was 512x512...

i have changer to 1024x1024 and now the Game is smooth

(Ofp is the stranger game i have ever seen smile.gif

for all, stay in 1024 if you want best performance smile.gif

Mine I think.

Can't find it back anywhere either, so I'll just post a new one.

I said in my last post that this games requirements are absolutely TO high.

The game might become unplayable because of the bouncing ( I noticed it ) but I call this making easy money.

BIS is posting around screenshots of Resistance everywhere with the detail on very high, and the game looks awesome. When you buy the game, suddenly it prooves that you need at least 2.8 ghz with aorund 800 mb ram and 128 mb gfx card to smoothly play this game. There are not very many person on the world who have the cash to buy such a monster pc.

I myself am running on a pentium 4 2000 mhz

512 SDram

120 GB hdd

geforce4 4400 TI with 128 mb and 256 ddr ram on it.

Even unreal tournament 2003 will run fine on my computer, and now there's some weird game, that realy ain't THAT good looking if you ask me, I mean, it looks nice but I know games what look nicer ( look at the upcoming sea dogs 2 game, unreal 2003, quake 4 ) and still, it asks a pc that's impossible. In my country ( The Netherlands ) we can't even buy 2.8 ghz yet. So if you ask me, BIS is telling and showing us pure shit here. They ask the impossible for maximum performance. You could go and play around with some things to get the performance optimal, but you'll never be able to play this game with the MAX full out unless you have one of those 2.8 ghz machines. To bad, again, BIS is promising things that can't be true.

Grtz,

[boP] Link.

This game's requirements are not too high at all, that's complete and utter nonsense.

Of course to run it on high landscape, high resolution, everything turned up, then yes you need a good quality high spec computer, pretty much the computer you have, from reading what other people have said it sounds like there's something wrong with your configuration and/or drivers.

Of course Bis are going to show it at it's best in screenshots and such, are they stupid? No.

The back of the Resistance case says "Minimum system requirements are equivalent to the original Flashpoint recommended specifications".

Now I appreciate a lot of people on this forum don't have English as their first language, hell my English aint perfect, I just yesterday failed my computer course because I didn't pass the English unit (we'll ignore the irony for now). So here's my simple translation of the above of the box for simple people like me......

The computer that ran Opf really really well, is now the absolute minimum needed to run Opf:R, that's how I read it to mean, maybe someone else reads it differently?

EA in their TV commercial for MOHAA show no ingame footage only CGI, are they cheating?

Has anyone heard the term future proofing? If not go look it up, fascinating subject, IMO that's what Opf:R is, a game that runs pretty damn well on the current average system with a smidge of tweaking, however on the average system in 6 months it will look absolutely stunning, me I can live with that, I know my system isn't staggeringly fast right now, but in 6 months time I will have upgraded and I'll be more than happy to be able to up the eye candy....

Or perhaps people would rather software makers make games for the computer of now and then every six months we not only upgrade our hardware but our software also?

JUST TO RE-ITERATE:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you have any further suggestions about other bugs, then please post them here - but keep this thread spam free, I will only allow tweaking tips. Other comments will be deleted I'm afraid.

<span id='postcolor'>

This rule IS being enforced BY ME. If you have a problem about deleted posts, P.M. ME.

Now please don't give me opportunity to delete some more posts. STAY ON TOPIC.

Hmm... dont know what is wrong maybe my cpu is too slow but I bought gf4 4400 and I hoped that it will give me higher fps but I was wrong...

Autodetect gives me 2500scores with tb-1300,512,gf4 4400 (btw it gaved me same score with gf2 ultra so it depends on cpu?)

Geometry performance (or what it is) is 2500

Autodetect gives full textures but I put them

and autodrop 2x

terrain detail is normal

I also set visibility to 1500m and resolution 1024 and 32bit

Now I loaded one saved game (resistance mission) and I noticed that the fps was around 12-17. OK I went back to options and set lower textures like (256,256,64,64,autodrop 4x)

Now I loaded it again and the fps was about 15-19. this maked me mad and I went again to options and changed textures to the higest settings and loaded again. This was the best moment... fps was again around 12-17 and I dropped off on my chair...

So... Can someone please tell me WTF is wrong!!??

Sounds like you don't have the newest drivers. Also visibility is one thing, drop it to 900 (default). Also press autodetect many times, it gives me different scores each time and results may differ around 2500-3000. Can't help you more now.

Get a new cpu.That's what's holding your GF4 back.With autodetect,I get around 4500-4600 with an XP1900 - GF3.

I'd also suggest changing your resolution to 800x600.That will give you a higher framerate increase than changing the texture resolutions.The geometry performance slider is set at maximum here(setting it lower doesn't make much of a difference).

One thing I do find is that it can be a bit jerky on some missions when I start and look around.Once I've done a few 360 rotations on the spot it runs smoothly(must be caching the landscape?)

Yep 900m visibility was also the default in old OFP. One thing that eats FPS in Resistance is LOD settings. Both LODs set to 0.005 can drop your FPS in Resistance quite much, I usually keep objects LOD at 0.005 and shadows LOD at 0.050 <--- really no difference with 0.005. And one more thing, check that the "Total memory" setting is right, I have 512Mb RAM and I keep it at 496.That turning "360 degrees around" helps also a bit.

P.S. Just wondering, am I the only one who gets serious slowdowns in those thick pine tree forests?

Just found another thing that might help a bit. I was using NVidia detonator 29.42 drivers and the game was a bit choppy sometimes. Then I reinstalled 27.50 drivers and now the game works much better. I can use now 512x512 and normal terrain detail without slowdowns (except those damn forests that slows my comp no matter what the settings are mad.gif ).

Okay I get anywhere from 990-1120 on the benchmark test.  Here are my specs:

PIII --  550mhz

384 ram

Win 98se

Gf4 4400 - 128mb

All of my resolutions are set to 4096x4096 except for terrain... which I left at 1024x1024 (in-game setting of High).  Viewdistance is set to around 1200, and I don't get any performance slow down other than the occasional "stutter" you get when you enter a new area.  Now I would give a LOT for a high end 1ghz+ system, and it just appals me to hear people complain about this game's requirements.  If I can play this game smoothly then anyone in the world should be able to, all you have to do is optimize your computer's settings for the game.  Make sure ALL your drivers and software is up to date.  Close any startup tasks that you don't need.  Those of you who say "BIS screwed us over" obviously don't want to play this game, you just want to look for faults and point them out.  Well I'm done for now cuz I have a resistance campaign to finish.

EDIT: And just to make it clear, this is NOT a tweaked or overclocked system cuz I have NO idea how to do that lol. This is just a regular system that's up to date on its hardware and software