.kju

All in Arma Terrain Pack (AiA TP) - A1/A2/OA terrains from BI in A3

If only I had won in the lottery...

BIS assistance towards this project has been subpar and it appears that ARMA series has not been their priority for a long time.

Hope they dont realize too late that DayZ is just a Fad.

BIS assistance towards this project has been subpar and it appears that ARMA series has not been their priority for a long time.

You can't really blame them, they go where the money go, just as .kju. So it's either both, or none.

I think that Arma team is trying, but it seem that BIS "HQ" (as i would call it), still didn't wake up from Dayz craze...

You can't really blame them, they go where the money go, just as .kju. So it's either both, or none.

Question is how long the money will be there? From what i heard Dayz community is very dissatisfied with dayz. So it's possible some better game will come out and the money will be gone.

Edited by strangere

Somewhere outthere there is a famous internet little movie saying (or to be more specific singing) "Thank you, Bohemia"...

...Well, no.

Thank you Q, and I mean it. And to all other modders who try to push this game anything close to playable state, we salute you!

We can only salute Kju for all his hard work and respect him for all he did for us,BIS and the game(s), Respect and enjoy life Kju !

Somewhere outthere there is a famous internet little movie saying (or to be more specific singing) "Thank you, Bohemia"...

...Well, no.

Thank you Q, and I mean it. And to all other modders who try to push this game anything close to playable state, we salute you!

What he said !

Thx kju for the work and the help you gave us. For answering all (100%) of my sky messages.

But to me its like Basketball once you start you cant stop, even if you try.

Bye and hope to see you soon...

:shrug:

Thanks Kju for all the efforts you put in your work and all the best for your future!

@BI: Why don't you guys hire Kju and let him continue working on his projects?

One more time Bohemia showed us how they cooperate with modders, thats sad kju you are the victim of that, anyway I wish you good luck in "new life".

;2856875']=============================

= Note: This project is no longer maintained! =

=============================

tl'dr

Unfortunately I have to announce the end of development and support on my behalf

for all AiA projects. If someone wants to take over' date=' contact me/go for it (APL SA).

Reasons

I want to briefly outline the reasons in the following - mainly to give insights

to those donated money to me to get to understand the decision and situation, as

well as to those who care about the project and want to know what's going on.

For more context and background check this and that post.

In short it is simply financially not viable to continue - the various projects

(working for BI (A3 Rearmed, DayZ SA), SIX networks (withSIX), the different AiA

versions, Iron Front in Arma 2/3) were an attempt to fund the development of a

complex game mode for Arma 3.

Sadly all these attempts have been unsuccessful - by large margin. It was not even

enough to sustain the work on these projects, let alone to generate a surplus of

money to cross-finance the game mode. So I have no choice but to stop.

More details for those interested:

• The effort behind all this is massive - even my deep insights into arma modding,
    my professional software engineering background, partial automation and use of
    advanced tools it still takes lots and lots of hours.
    While the modding alone takes much time due to the sub-bar level of the arma engine
    and tool set in regards to modding, there is also testing, release management, lots of
    user assistance, support and team communication.
    This is work for a regular full-time day job, which it has been for me for several
    months; or actually something for a team of people/professional company with paid
    staff.

• Unfortunately there was just limited progress at the end of the year.
    The background here is I invested almost two months to assist the CUP team to
    get the first release out, trying to improve the collaborative setup for the team
    and to handle all the inquiries to join the project after Dslyecxi's promo video -
    meaning lots of 1-to-1 communication.
    As side note sadly not much has come out of this - partially due lack of leadership,
    giving people instructions or work to be done, yet overall its very challenging to
    find dedicated people..

• With BI shifting priorities during A3 development and as a result no longer improving
    backwards compatibility of the engine and the work on A3 Rearmed getting stopped,
    it made it very hard to make AiA an usable platform.
    As we can see over a year later since the source model release, its a very time
    intensive progress with only very few people up for the challenge (major kudos to
    Reyhard, Alwarren, Varanon, Chairborne and a few others).
    Sadly even despite fairly popular support BI could not get convinced to put
    more resources into improving backwards compatibility of the engine. At least
    much thanks to Dwarden and pettka trying their best!

• Donations and patreon didn't work out - you can read more about the outcome here.

• To do is a hobby is not longer viable for me - I have been modding ofp and
    arma for almost ten years; like many others, I have put many many thousands of
    hours into promoting, playing, modding to improve this game and environment
    around it.
    With one difference - most people have moved on or have given up a long time ago.
    Only very few people remain by now - their dedication, skills, sharing and work
    is essential to this community. With more and more stopping the impact will be
    felt (actually is for quite some time if one looks closely or talks to people
    outside this forum..).
    Arma is just too much of an obscure and poor environment for modding (official
    tools, workflow, custom scripting language, engine limitations, etc) and the lack
    of backwards compatibility in A3 that makes most of the previous community made
    content obsolete or very labersome and tedious to port over. It seems most
    people have not realized these effects, or have accepted to what is available
    or the old crowd are no longer playing anyway..
    For me personally I haven't been playing Arma for over 3 years, except for a short
    time in some competitions during A3 alpha.
    This is mainly due to my arms injury and having to dedicate computer time to
    modding over playing, yet also as the PvP scene broke down finally completely
    after A3 alpha and my team, as well as many others, are not happy with the A3
    gameplay and performance..

Future of the projects

So what does this mean for the AiA projects - basically there are these options:

• As all projects are open source and APL SA someone else could take over.
    The complexity, scale and overall effort makes this quite a challenge though.
    In case someone is really up for it, I will try to upload all my WIP data to shared host.

• Eventually AiA might get superseded by CUP (or other projects) and become obsolete.

• AiA goes into hibernation eventually going defunct by one of the patches from BI
    (unless someone else makes a third party fix).

Donations

On a separate note I want to thank sincerely everyone having contributed via

Patreon or PayPal!

Unfortunately it didn't work out in the end, yet I hope you are happy with what

I was able to achieve. Again my full appreciation to your support!

Personal future

I will keep this very brief.

1. CUP
    The current plan is to support them still until the end of the month to ensure
    a smooth transition.
  2. IFA3
    Unless BI, X1 and DS get their act together to make a DLC for A3 possible,
    I will only be able to assist the IFA3 team by building the patches; other than
    that they are on their own from now on.
  3. Game mode
    In case I still find a way to fund the development, I might give it a final try.
  4. Arma modding
    Aside from the above my time with arma has come to a close. Good times, bad times.
    Time for the next chapter.

Acknowledgment

Thank you everyone who assisted me with the projects the past years and showed

his/her appreciation!

O my god.

A very very sad day for Arma3 and more for the community.

I would truly thank you for all the time you have shared with us and hope you'll found your way.

You'll be missed.

Thanks for all the hard work you have put down for the community kju. Hope you get around to release that game mode project some time. Sounds very interesting.

Good luck on your future endeavours.

That sucks, kju. Really, BI should do something for it as AiA was really one of the project that made many users addicted to Arma 3.

I personally doubt I would still play Arma 3 or buy any DLC if I didn't know a project like AiA exists, in my case the Terrain Pack part. Same I would say for CUP.

Best wishes for the future ;)

kju, Thank you for helping bring all the great content from all previous gen Arma/OFP games that countless people love and appreciate. You provided a crossover pathway that was much needed from A2 to A3. Thaks for your contributions with PVP Scene mods and missions that severved and stemmed IMO some of the best PVP gameplay on RV engine ever. Thanks for sharing, communication, organization with and serving the community.

Your masterty, insight, passion, and abilities should be recognized by BI. If anyone from the community should be employed by BI it should be you.

Best wishes with any future endeavors.

Thank you for your efforts for this community, kju. If it wasn't for you, a massive gap would exist regarding backwards compatibility with Bohemia's titles. I have greatly enjoyed playing ArmA and Iron Front content in ArmA II, and it was your projects like CAA1 or the Iron Front ArmA mod that allowed me to do this. It's efforts like yours that have made ArmA II the game I've put the most amount of time into and why I've come to embrace a PC gaming ecosystem.

This is bad news. Sorry to hear you're leaving kju. You've done amazing work for Arma series and your intuitive and guidance on the game will be very missed by the whole community.

All the best in finding a way to monetize your interests, cash is essential for all of us and your decision mashes sense with such a massive amount of effort you put in.

Thanks for such great add ons, in particular for me, aia terrain and CUP.

Go well.

That sucks, kju. Really, BI should do something for it as AiA was really one of the project that made many users addicted to Arma 3.
Unfortunately the lack of BI doing it is why AiA existed in the first place...

Hello i have a question!

I installed Aia Terrain pack and everything worked well without adding any command line parameters but another mod wont work with terrain pack enabled... So i want to know how to disable/enable terrain pack? What should i write to parameters?

Usually i have to write to console if i want to enable or disable a mod/pack but this worked without any parameters and i really would like to know how to disable it :D

Cheers

Configure/Options > Expansions

From there you should have the list of all the mods installed and choose which to enable or disable.

Uhm try in your Steam Library > Arma 3 > right click > properties > set launch options and see if you have anything in there.

I just wrote it in first post that AiA pack worked without adding any parameters so theres only other stuff like @epoch etc :P

Try deleting all you have activated in command lines, get in the game and see if you can enable or disable it then.

Otherwise i think you can check active mods in your arma3profile file (documents > a3 other profiles > your nickname > *yournickname*.arma3profile, open with notepad), it should display if you have active mods in game there.

@kju - thanks for all your efforts over the years.. unfortunately this trend continues hopefully BIS wakes up and realizes they are losing key community members that help keep this game alive.