Sign in to follow this  
silly_ghillie

AK-74 vs M4/M16

In my opinion I think the AK-74 is more reliable, has more stopping power, but lacks accuracy. What are your opinions?

* taking some pop-corn *

Pass the bucket mate.

I dont know as Ive used neither of them. My guess is that they have more or less same stopping power due to more or less similar calibers and barrel lenghts.

And the newer models of the AR-15 family have reportedly better reliability than the first versions.

Id go with a G36 though, it has an optical and reflex visors in the standard version, is very precise, not hard to (dis-)assemble and also quite reliable if you clean it (just like every other rifle).

I see this topic evolving into "Ill just post my favorite rifle here" :D

author of threat confused ammo it seems,

AK74 has ammo similar to M16

AKM has stronger ammo

i use both of them and shot some hundreds of rounds from time to time,

M4 - good ergonomic (charging, magazine change), one hand load-safety use, more safe, less possible accident (which can happen when you turn around deadly weapon), rail and scopes range, good to have grip, but need cleaning, expensive in exploatation (weapon cost per 8000 rounds barrel life, expensive oil)

AKMS - better for distance at which you see without scope silhouette in bushes, more resistant to wind (important on ranges >200 m when light ammo simply falls to side because of wind) and dust, weapon is idiot-proof, after 3 magazines burns hand in summer, need to wear gloves otherwise grip has +70'C (i carried it in t-shirt hahaha last time to not burn hands), cheap in exploatation (cheap cost and 20 000 rounds guarantee from Polish manufactory of AKMS, usual oil)

weapons price per exploatation:

imported from America M4 cost ca 2000 Euro and can fire 8000 rounds, it means 0.5 euro for exploatation cost

new Polish AKMS cost ca 500 Euro and can hold 20 000 rounds which means 0.025 Euro per round exploatation round

it makes difference in shot

1 shot from AK costs me 1 PLN (0.25 Euro), 1 shot from M4 costs me near 1 Euro (1 USD per shot) when ammo cost the same

for price of 1 magazine of M4 i can shot 3 magazines of AKMS

but loading in tactical way (aiming target when load keeping in 1 hand) both - M4 is better

comparing weapons at distance which require magnifying scope is giving M4 advantage, under condition there is no wind

AK-74 has ammo as light as M4, so author simply do not know what he wrote, there are reasons that many specops still remained AKMS,

AKMS would need integrated rail and load/charge (non moving) from left side to be ideal weapon

when you are tired - AK - easy for accident when reloading

Edited by vilas

I remember the 1,000,000 post strong thread this one used to have.

I'll have some of the popcorn too, thanks. *reaches*

"Better" is highly subjective...

One point you can give to the AR is that it's modular nature makes it into something like Lego for Adults... If you're in a part of the world where you can own firearms and don't have to jump through hoops to modify them. Irrelevant to an army.

I own a Yugo imported ak and used to own a Stag Arms AR 15 rifle. I sold the latter and used the money as well as tax return money to buy a PTR 91 .308 (its a G3 clone). Sooo... imho at least, I think its got the best of booth guns and then some.

Yeah the Yugo AKs are really good. From time to time I shot a Zastava M70AB2 and it is simply awesome. Idiot proof, great control, dirt cheap, unbreakable.

Personally I would go with the AK-74, simply because its more familiar, but I can see why people would prefer the M4.

I can imagine that the M4 could be objectivly better, but the guns are so similiar, it wont make that much difference.

Better buy some flowers for your wife :D

The big debate is between AKM and M16, isn't it?

The AK-74 has no appreciable advantage, unless you're short on cash and too lazy to clean. Other than that, the rifles are just really damn similar.

Where the hell did those three leave the popcorn..... Ah, there it is *takes a handfull*

While you're at it, Why de-militarize it?

On rare occasions I've seen surplus WWII tanks here that had been converted to tractors or other kinds of farm equipment. Very rare occasions.

and if we talk about M4 - there are many producers which produce it with slight changes (such as gas-pipe in HK416) from cheap M4 to very expensive (2000 Euro) variants for special forces which have gas pipe very very close to barrel, today i was shooting this and it was so stable, that there was no need to re-aim because of movement of weapon, today i had M4 from guy from special forces, and this variant was almost not kicking , it was so stable, that after it AKMS is like shit , this M4 i had today was "like .22"

after all i prefer M4 over AK-family because of ergonomic of use much more,

AK with ironsight, vs M4 with Eotech - hahahaha :D even half-blind with shaking hands will hit from M4

only problem is M4 are more vulnerable to dust and on cheap ammo often they get stuck, with cheap ammo there is need to put gas pressure to 3 not 4, but on good quality ammo, on 4 and not kicks at all (low gas pressure with good ammo, bigger gas pressure=bigger kick on cheap ammo), on this expensive M4 today i had such good result that it surprised me , soldiers said that after this M4 you do not want to touch AK anymore,

i haven't got occasion to test AK74 and it's work

Edited by vilas

AR-15 type gas systems.

1346759667.jpg

There are several variations of both the Gas-Piston and Direct Gas Impingement (DGI) type actions. Gas pistons come in many different designs, both long and short stroke. DGI guns have four basic gas system lengths- Pistol, Carbine, Mid, and Rifle. Gas system length, Gas port size, buffer weight, action spring strength, and of course the ammo itself can all have a impact on how a DGI gun runs... A DGI gun set up right will cycle crappy, dirty, low power ammo just as well as a gas piston gun... But not all AR-15's are alike.

The HK416 so in vogue with European special forces (And of course, as the USMC's new M27 IAR) is a Short Stroke Gas Piston gun. Like this-

W7567_SI_01041.jpg

last sunday i had in hands M4 with receiver and barrel for AK ammo , this was powerful stuff