Sign in to follow this  
twangydave

Strange sound issue

Hi there,

I'm working on an SP mission and, thus far, I've managed to fix all my problems by searching the forums and reading old threads, but this one has me stumped.

I'm using triggers to trigger sounds/speech in connection with task completion or other events. All my sounds are in place correctly and they all play fine when tested with triggers outside the mission. All sound triggers work within the mission when tested (with the player unit that I'll be using) separately within the first 5 mins of the mission.

When I begin the mission, the first two triggers always trigger the sounds correctly but this is before any real activity starts. The 3rd sound trigger comes during a big noisy battle and doesn't trigger correctly (the other events on the trigger do trigger correctly) nor do the 3 more that follow.

Somewhat bizarrely, if I wait until everything has gone quiet and then trigger the 3rd trigger, it functions correctly as do those that follow. I've double checked volumes and that is all fine.

The triggers all work correctly as they are triggering other events with no problem and also triggering those events AND the related sounds if tested when the mission is just starting.

Is this some kind of lag or overload?

The only thing I can think of is that the sound engine has some kind of 'priority' system and that due to it playing back lots of other sounds, it can't keep up with the additional requests from the triggers??????

Anyone got any ideas?

I think you hit the spot correctly there: it might be the engine saying: "hell no, Imma not gonna play/overlap dat many soundz at teh same timez." :P

I think you hit the spot correctly there: it might be the engine saying: "hell no, Imma not gonna play/overlap dat many soundz at teh same timez." :P

Yeah, that's the conclusion I'm coming too. I'm doing some more testing later today but I had a few more theories about why the other triggers fail if the 3rd trigger doesn't fire correctly. I suspect that the engine is still trying to play the 3rd sound and gets stuck in a loop and as it is currently thinking it is 'playing' sound 3, it won't move on to the others.

I'll see if I can get this straightened out in case it might assist anyone else with a similar problem in the future.

I have the same problem with scripts. Activating all the scripts at the same time in a test works fine, but when I try to implement them into a battle, only the first script will run.

I added a hint to the triggers, and I can see the triggers are activating during the battle, they just refuse to run the scripts for some reason.:confused:

I imaging, it's something like ITO7 is suggesting, the engine refusing to run them. I have tried to find a workaround, but it seems I'll just have to make do with only one script.

OK Fixed!

This issue was NOT down to lag, AI numbers, the sound engine or anything else related to performance. It's a bit down to operator error (me!) and also the slightly illogical functioning of the command fadeMusic.

I put all my custom sound/music files inside a folder called "Music" within the mission folder. I was thinking it's then easy to trigger sounds off mission completion triggers or other triggers with the playMusic command.

That all worked fine, but as the mission has intro music, I wanted it to reduce in volume and then fade out at a set location. I put two fadeMusic commands on triggers, the second one actually fading the music to zero.

The problem seems to be that fadeMusic set to zero is a persistent command which then prevents any other triggered 'music' from being heard as it has been faded to zero.

The removal of the fade triggers totally solved the problem. Mostly my fault for being lazy and not putting other sounds in a sound folder and triggering it as sound rather than music.

It would be nice to know if there is a way to set 'music' volume back to normal after you have used a fade command.

Hope this helps anyone who runs into this.

I'm glad you got it sorted :) I recoqnize myself in that kind of mistake because when you are making a mission you loose sight of those things ;)

I'm glad you got it sorted :) I recoqnize myself in that kind of mistake because when you are making a mission you loose sight of those things ;)

Cheers mate! Yeah, doing my first one and I keep getting tied up in the excitement of 'telling the story' but forgetting to be neat and organised. It means you have to go back and fix stuff that should never have gone wrong in the first place. It's all a learning curve I guess!!

It's all a learning curve I guess!!

Exactly. If none would learn in life, it would be extremely boring.