Sign in to follow this  
NordKindchen

Shadows at distance / Shadows when looking through a scope

You guy most likely now that a big part of why it is nearly impossible to use camouflage at distance is because the shadows get disabled while looking through a scope.

Switch to 6:37 and you will see that this is quite possible with todays technology and brings a huge improvement.

Best regards

In addition to that Arma don't really uses my half GPU potential, since it is completely CPU bottlenecked because of the lazyness of the developers (sorry, but this is the year 2014, we don't have singlecore-CPUs anymore).

So I think it would really be possible without a real FPS impact, especially in Multiplayer where my game runs like crap because of the netcode or whatever. But I would not hope that it will get implemented in Arma 3. The devs seem to only add things based on the current old engine. I lost all my hope for any bigger improvements. Just look at your Midrange Texture idea. NOTHING happend by Bohemia, which is very very sad.

Just look at your Midrange Texture idea. NOTHING happend by Bohemia, which is very very sad.
the (missing) midrange texture is a kind of running gag of bohemia not-interactive studios. Not even the implementation of the genius simple and effective solution of badbenson. I can´t play without it.

In current RV engine probably not possible (only if the shadows could render far away like 5-10km)

Nice example is in GTA V - they got long range dynamic shadows which makes the city scene more alive

Edited by RobertHammer

In TOH and DayZ you can set 2000m shadow distance but it's fps killer because it bottlenecks CPU.

One big problem is that units are not shadowed in distance so they look bright under a tree that has "shadow" on the ground texture. So those shadow textures on the ground only reveals units.

In current RV engine probably not possible (only if the shadows could render far away like 5-10km)

Nice example is in GTA V - they got long range dynamic shadows which makes the city scene more alive

Yeah, and they managed to make that game run on ridicolously old hardware. Rockstar can do the impossible.

This would also be great for grass, the game would just render grass in an area with radius X (depends on FoV of the optic) around the point of aim. It would allow BI to get rid of the stupid sinking into the ground thing.