ruthberg

ATragMX - Handheld ballistics calculator

Dear Ruthberg & friends, here's a nice short article from Todd Hodnett (president of Accuracy1st) about "Cowboy" approach to Ballistics Solver especially for newbies

https://www.accuracy1stdg.com/content/docs/A1DG_Website_Info/Ballistic_Solvers.pdf

Worth noting that Todd Hodnett put emphasis on the importance of Ballistics Calibration/Truing especially the Ballistics Coefficient (BC). All ballistic solvers are just predictive algorithms. This means they are close mathematical guesses. They're just “predictive†which means “just close†so we need to true the algorithms especially the BC to get the precise calculation. We gotta realize that the BC we plug into the solver is a suggested/claimed BC which sometimes is not truly accurate. Even if we have input all the parameters correctly, input the correct MV (through chronograph) and the correct Air Density (Atmospheric Condition through Kestrel), we may still get inaccurate calculation for not using the actual BC.

Same thing goes with AB. You may find some claimed BC's kinda different from the actual ones. You plug all the correct parameters but your shot is still off. Therefore, i'm planning on getting the actual (in-game) BC's of all AB projectiles and sharing it with you all :) i'm gonna use some of my Truing tools to get the actual BC's, hopefully they'll work for AB, so stay tuned ;)

You guys can actually true the BC yourself. Here are the steps:

1. Make sure you've input all the parameters correctly

2. Set up a target at your bullet max effective range (e.g., M118LR at 800 m, .338 LM at 1500 m, .408 CT at 2100 m, etc)

3. Shoot some rounds at the target

4. Find the difference between where you aimed (current elevation adjustment) and where your bullets actually hit (the actual bullet drop).

5. True or change the BC in the solver to match the results of what you just shot. There are 2 ways:

A) Old school - If it's low, you lower the BC. If it's high, you higher the BC. you keep tweaking the BC until your solver matches the actual bullet drop.

B) New school - you can use Ballistics Calibration/Truing tool through some apps like EBC, Applied Ballistics, StrelokPro, etc. they're all really accurate.

6. After you come up with the new BC, test it out at uprange and midrange to check if it works for all ranges.

7. After getting the actual BC, please share it with us all in this thread

May dear God in heaven bless you all and happy new year ;)

• Like 1

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Dear Ruthberg,

since a while i'm using ATragMX (+ Kestrel 4500 & AB) and it's really awesome.

I also use the Sniper Rifle-Pack by trixie, which leads me to my question/problem.

I've found a list somewhere out there in the internet, which contains a lot of information about the caliber of the rifles by trixie (and even many more).

but I have no clue how to add these information into my atragmx gun-list.

I really hope, that anybody around here can help me to add the trixie rifles into my gun list. :)

kind regards,

daniel

The List -> http://pastebin.com/zMTZ733z

Dear Ruthberg,

since a while i'm using ATragMX (+ Kestrel 4500 & AB) and it's really awesome.

I also use the Sniper Rifle-Pack by trixie, which leads me to my question/problem.

I've found a list somewhere out there in the internet, which contains a lot of information about the caliber of the rifles by trixie (and even many more).

but I have no clue how to add these information into my atragmx gun-list.

I really hope, that anybody around here can help me to add the trixie rifles into my gun list. :)

kind regards,

daniel

The List -> http://pastebin.com/zMTZ733z

Step 1: Press Break on your keyboard to open it (You can change the default key in the controls menu (Configure->Controls->Configure Addons->Addon: ATragMX)

Step 2: Select your cartridge (GunList / Arrow up/down buttons on the PDA)

Step 3: Enter the target range (TR)

Step 4: Enter the inclination angle to the target (IA)

Step 5: Enter the wind speed (WS)

Step 6: Enter the wind direction (WD)

Step 7: Enter the target speed (TS)

Step 8: Enter the temperature (Tmp)

Step 9: Enter the barometric pressure (BP)

Step 10: Enter the relative humidity (RH)

Step 11: Select your scope unit of measurement (MILs, TMOA, SMOA, Clicks)

Finish: Click Calc

if you're creating a new gun profile for a certain bullet, don't forget to plug all the ammo parameters like the bullet Caliber, bullet Length, bullet Mass, Ballistics Coefficient, Muzzle Velocity, etc right into the AtragMX :)

Good shooting! :D

Step 1: Press Break on your keyboard to open it (You can change the default key in the controls menu (Configure->Controls->Configure Addons->Addon: ATragMX)

Step 2: Select your cartridge (GunList / Arrow up/down buttons on the PDA)

Step 3: Enter the target range (TR)

Step 4: Enter the inclination angle to the target (IA)

Step 5: Enter the wind speed (WS)

Step 6: Enter the wind direction (WD)

Step 7: Enter the target speed (TS)

Step 8: Enter the temperature (Tmp)

Step 9: Enter the barometric pressure (BP)

Step 10: Enter the relative humidity (RH)

Step 11: Select your scope unit of measurement (MILs, TMOA, SMOA, Clicks)

Finish: Click Calc

if you're creating a new gun profile for a certain bullet, don't forget to plug all the ammo parameters like the bullet Caliber, bullet Length, bullet Mass, Ballistics Coefficient, Muzzle Velocity, etc right into the AtragMX :)

Good shooting! :D

i guess you get me wrong, i know how to use atragmx.

but i dont know how to add custon cartridges to my gun-list.

ok no, i know how to add them, but i dont know which values i have to chose from the posted list.

for example:

i need the muzzle Velocities, but there are 3 values given. (AB_muzzleVelocities[]={820, 826, 830};)

which one ist the on i need?

It depends on the barrel length of the weapon you are shooting with:

AB_muzzleVelocities[]={820, 826, 830};
AB_barrelLengths[]={24, 26.5, 28};

-> The muzzle velocity will be 820 m/s out of a 24" barrel

-> The muzzle velocity will be 826 m/s out of a 26.5" barrel

-> The muzzle velocity will be 830 m/s out of a 28" barrel

Can set both ATragMX and Kestrel 4500 that show in Virtual Arsenal?

I like both of them, but only can find it in editor or some missions now.

Thanks.

I delet 0.408 ballistics date from ATragMX Gunlist......

Can it reset to default?

**Already done, I removed and reset profileName file.

Edited by NidhoggAC

So I'm not sure if this has already been stated (there are 45 pages of posts), I have been testing the ATragMX in game and comparing it to the one I bought from Horus Vision. I must say first that this addon is just amazing! Great job! but having said that I have noticed that the bullet weight wont keep the input. I'll input 175 for the 7.62X51mm in the BW and no matter what I do it will always replace it with 100. Is this suggesting that for the real life BW of 175 grains it translate into 100 grains for the game? or is this a bug? Also I know for the Atrag I bought, when I change from target A to B, C, or D that it will (by default) keep the same gun loaded as the one i first opened. But in the game it will change back to the first one listed in the gunlist. Now this isn't a huge problem other than I will have to remember to set each target to the rifle I am using for that mission. Another possible bug is that to keep the atmospherics that I input, I have to save it to the gun if i put the solver down for a sec. (time period not important). I feel like the solver should just remember what I input so I dont have to save that as the new zeroed atmospherics. It should only require the save if that is the new zero. (I don't know if this is a personal preference or an actual needed update). I'm not sure if this is a suggestion for you or for another 3rd party adding the Horus H59 reticle would be glorious. All in all a great addon and I cant go back to not having Advanced Ballistics, ATragMX, and Kestrel4500. I am can't wait until spin drift and coriolis effect can be accounted for.

Hey man, and thanks for a good mod!

I am very pleased with the options and all the calculations that I can do.. But I'm having a problem that it seems very inaccurate, whenever there is an elevation change (Inclination angle) the atragmx shows completely wrong calculations wich makes me miss up to 100m (whenever there are longdistances). I have tried to calibrate the weapon setup, I have tried to set up the correct MV , BC , BW , BH and all that.. but it does not simply work for me. I have read through this whole thread, watched several videos and tutorials but with no luck. I'm not sure what to do anymore, I have even tried to do the math when it comes to inclination angle as you said, I have tried the protractor wich is the same as elevation in laser designator?

Let's just say i'm at a hilltop, range 800 metres to the target and IA is at -5 or something. The atrag does calculate it all, the wind and everything works. But when I actually try to hit the target with all the parametres set correct, it just hits too high/too low.

This makes me loose the stealth in sniper-operations when I have to shoot 2-3 shots before I can actually adjust to where the bullet will actually land.

Please help me out, I am seriously frustrated.

Thanks!

Version 1.2 Changelog:

-CBA Keybinds compatibility update

Do not update to version 1.2 unless you are already using CBA_A3 v1.20.50327 or newer.

---------- Post added at 10:26 ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 ----------

I delet 0.408 ballistics date from ATragMX Gunlist......

Can it reset to default?

**Already done, I removed and reset profileName file.

Yes, you can restore the default gun list by deleting all profiles in the ATragMX and restarting the mission.

---------- Post added at 10:59 ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 ----------

@SGThaueter, thanks a lot for your input! And sorry for my late response.

I have noticed that the bullet weight wont keep the input. I'll input 175 for the 7.62X51mm in the BW and no matter what I do it will always replace it with 100. Is this suggesting that for the real life BW of 175 grains it translate into 100 grains for the game?
If you are on metric then the bullet weight is in gramms. Guess I need to read the Horus manual again to see if that behaviour is correct.
Also I know for the Atrag I bought, when I change from target A to B, C, or D that it will (by default) keep the same gun loaded as the one i first opened. But in the game it will change back to the first one listed in the gunlist.
I will try to fix that.
Another possible bug is that to keep the atmospherics that I input, I have to save it to the gun if i put the solver down for a sec. (time period not important).

It should keep the input at least until you restart the mission. I will look into this.

---------- Post added at 11:02 ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 ----------

@rameback, I have no explanation for what you are describing.

Newest version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

hi Ruthberg

i notest that if i change the atragmx unit to E there is an error in the result

i had made some programing into your atragMx to callculate spin effect and it give me good result

when you press on the Gun tag it shows a new page with parameters spin direction TWist barrel value and calibar of bullet

if you send me your email in a P.M. to send the code to you in order to see if you want to include it into your atragmx

New menu pages (for the gun, atmosphere and target column) will be added in one of the next versions.

I will try to reproduce the error you reported. Thanks for letting me know about it.

Edit: The ACE3 ATragMX is going to support spin drift and coriolis. The bugs in the imperial unit system will also be gone.

Edited by Ruthberg

I'm having a weird bug lately and I think it's ATragMX specific, not Advanced Ballistics. I'm not sure if it's caused by any other mods I installed recently but none of them were ballistics related (I had but then removed the Tier 1 Silencer Fix). When putting in environmental and gun data the in game Atrag gives me one value but trying other ballistics calculators gives me a different value. And the other calculators are right. If I plug in the in game Atrag's calculations I'll be under or over by several mils. If I put in the outside calculator's numbers I'll be spot on. Same data input into both so I'm not sure what's going on.....

107410_screenshots_2015-04-18_00001_zpsecjhjwaa.jpg~original

ballistic_calculator_zpse1ep284j.png

It looks like you did not confirm the zero range. Press 'Enter' while the cursor is in the zero range input field to confirm the zero range after you changed things in the gun column.

The ATragMX result with the above data is 2.28 MILs.

The ACE3 ATragMX is going to have dedicated Gun / Atmsphr / Target menu pages, which will fix that 'problem'.

Edited by Ruthberg

here is video showing spin effect calculation that I have done in atragmx

---------- Post added at 18:53 ---------- Previous post was at 18:50 ----------

here is video showing spin effect calculation that I have done in atragmx

Ohh ok, thanks. I was having trouble before and just left the 500m zero as is because it would always reset. Additionally, using the number pad Enter doesn't confirm any of the numbers either. Thanks.

The whole "need to press 'Enter' thing" will be gone in the ACE3 ATragMX.

arma3op_2015_04_21_10hijgy.pngarma3op_2015_04_21_104ijji.pngarma3op_2015_04_21_10oxktc.pngarma3op_2015_04_21_106bk6e.png

Edited by Ruthberg

in the new ACE3 ATragMX the wind direction stay in 1 to 12 format why? it is not accurate I have my direction and the wind in degree why can not I put them in the ACE3 ATragMX and leave the rest to ACE3 ATragMX I hope you modify it so it make it easy like a real ballistic calculator