ruthberg

ATragMX - Handheld ballistics calculator

arma3_2014_08_14_19_1pry05.pngarma3_2014_08_14_19_1s1lnw.pngarma3_2014_08_14_19_1diyh8.pngarma3_2014_08_14_19_1t7au7.png

--- Description ---

This addon introduces a new item to the game, which helps you to calculate firing solutions. It is meant to be used together with the following addons:

-AdvancedBallistics

-Kestrel 4500

--- Features ---

* Supports common rifle calibers in Arma 3

* Supports manual entry of gun data

* Multiple Targets (up to four)

* Range Card Generator

* Corrects for Temperature, Humidity, Barometric Pressure

* Target Range Estimator

* Target Speed Estimator

* Clicking Memory

* Handles both English (Imperial) and Metric units of measure

* Display in Mils, MOA, Clicks

* Calculates bullet drop, wind drift, lead (moving targets), time of flight, remaining velocity, remaining energy

--- Coming features ---

* Support for more rifle calibers

* Support for spin drift and coriolis effect

--- Input fields ---

Unit of measurement selector:

D = Dual - Ranges in yards, everything else metric

E = English only, everything imperial

M = Everything metric

Target selector:

A = Data slot one

B = Data slot two

C = Data slot three

D = Data slot four

Gun Column:

BH = Bore Height in cm (metric units) or inches (imperial units)

BW = Bullet weight in grain

C1 = Ballistic coefficient as airFriction * -1000

MV = Muzzle velocity in m/s (metric units) or feet/s (imperial units)

ZR = Zero range in m (metric units) or yard (imperial units)

Atmosphere Column:

Tmp = Temperature in °C (metric units) or °F (imperial units)

BP = Barometric pressure in hPA (metric units) or inMg (imperial units)

RH = Relative Humidity in %

Target Column:

WS: Wind speed in m/s (metric units) or mph (imperial units)

WD = Wind direction as clock value (1-12)

IA = Inclination angle in degrees

TS = Target speed in m/s (metric units) or mph (imperial units)

TR = Target range in m (metric units) or yards (imperial units)

--- Basic usage ---

Step 1: Press Break on your keyboard to open it (You can change the default key in the controls menu (Configure->Controls->Configure Addons->Addon: ATragMX)

Step 2: Select your cartridge (GunList / Arrow up/down buttons on the PDA)

Step 3: Enter the target range (TR)

Step 4: Enter the inclination angle to the target (IA)

Step 5: Enter the wind speed (WS)

Step 6: Enter the wind direction (WD)

Step 7: Enter the target speed (TS)

Step 8: Enter the temperature (Tmp)

Step 9: Enter the barometric pressure (BP)

Step 10: Enter the relative humidity (RH)

Step 11: Select your scope unit of measurement (MILs, TMOA, SMOA, Clicks)

Finish: Click Calc

--- Target Range Estimator ---

Allows you to estimate the range of a target if you know both it's real size and image size in your reticle.

--- Target Speed Estimator ---

Allows you to estimate the speed of a target if you know it's range and the time the target takes to pass a certain number of hash marks in your reticle.

--- Relative Click Memory usage ---

Step 1: Calculate a firing solution

Step 2: Adjust your scope accordingly

Step 3: Click the "Update" button

Step 4: Calculate a new firing solution

Finish: Use the data in the "Rel" column as holdover or to adjust your scope

--- Changelog ---

release 12:

-CBA Keybinds compatibility update

release 11:

-The ATragMX item is now only added to the NATO support box if the optional PBO is used

-Wind is now considered without requiring AdvancedBallistics

-Fixed a bug that potentially prevented it to work properly without AdvancedBallistics

release 10:

-Fixed barometric pressure being rounded incorrectly when using imperial unit system

-Added support for AdvancedBallistics v2.8

release 09:

-Fixed wind direction input being flawed (bug was introduced with v0.8)

-Greatly improved the calculation speed (especially the range card calculation is now lightning-fast)

-The range card data output (quality) is now identically equal to the main menu output

release 08:

-Added support for AdvancedBallistics v1.7 and newer (G1 Ballistic Coefficients, ICAO atmosphere model)

-You can now add and remove, as well as load and save gun profiles

-You can now use the left/right buttons on the PDA to change the target slot

release 07:

-Added 5 ATragMX units to the NATO support box (Box_NATO_Support_F)

release 06:

-Fixed muzzle velocities being read incorrectly from the configuration classes

release 05:

-Fixed broken humidity input

-Default humidity setting is now 50%

-Added some checks that prevent from entering absurd data

release 04:

-Fixed humidity being handled incorrectly

-Gun profile data is now partly read from the config

release 03:

-You can no longer access the PDA without having the corresponding item (class name: "ATragMX") in your uniform or vest

-Lea Addon file included

release 02:

-Default scope unit is now Mil

-Added 5.56x45mm MK262 profile

-Fixed 7.62x51mm profile

-Fixed wind corrections not being calculated after using team switch in singleplayer (requires AdvancedBallistics v0.8)

release 01:

-Initial release

--- Download ---

Zip Package: @ATragMX_v1.2.zip

--- Recommended Reading ---

ATrag User Manual: http://horusvision.com/download/manual_Horus_ATrag-v385.pdf

--- Requirements ---

* CBA - Community Base Addons

* (optional): AdvancedBallistics

* (optional): Kestrel 4500

Edited by Ruthberg
Update to version 1.2
  • Like 2

New mod v0.1 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

@atragmx.png

@ Ruthberg ;

Soon you will be able to manage the promo pages of your content on our web platform and publish new content yourself.

To do so, please hit 'this is me' button on the page while logged in and you will get connected to your work.

For now you can send new content or releases our way through withsix.wetransfer.com or add your notification at getsatisfaction.withsix.com.

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Question for the future, regarding Marksman DLC, if it will include some changes to shooting will you update this addon to make it work with it?

Wow great tool thnx but i dont really get it can someone make a tutorial or even better video tutorial ?

@gienkov, if time allows, then yes.

@Skuijs, I will add more information about how to use it in the initial post. Feel free to ask, if you have any specific question.

K thnx man , like how do i calculate the IA. And the wind direction is that the direction of that show on the kestrel like E92 ?

Inclination Angle:

You can either use a tool like the Vector IV from the AGM mod to measure the angle directly.

Or calculate it like this: IA = asin (height difference / distance)

Measure the distance with a laser rangefinder and estimate the height difference by using the map.

Edit: You can now also use the Protractor that comes with AdvancedBallistics v0.6

arma3_2014_08_15_21_07vxjl.png

Wind Direction:

The wind direction is relative to the direction of fire. If you shoot towards the north and the wind blows towards the west you enter 3. Because the wind is blowing from your 3 o'clock:

ClockSystem_s.jpg

Edited by Ruthberg

Hello !

I only get vertical correction when calculating. What ever I enter in wind values, wind correction stays @ 0 mils

Wind will only affect your windage if it hits your bullet from the side. Wind direction 12 and 6 mean no crosswind.

Yeah got that problem too. And is the IA the azt or ele on the soflam ?

In case you need support for the Arma 2 ACE version of this addon, please use this thread: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?180127-ATragMX-Handheld-ballistics-calculator-1-0-Stable-Release-Thread

IA is the elevation on the Soflam. But make sure you select degrees as units of measure. The default unit for the elevation when using the Soflam in Arma 2 ACE is mil.

Edited by Ruthberg

Wind will only affect your windage if it hits your bullet from the side. Wind direction 12 and 6 mean no crosswind.

I read the real manual you gave :) I tried full crosswind (3 and 9), no corrections were calculated.

I'll give it a look back tomorrow, maybe launching back the game will make it work.

Are you using the AdvancedBallistics addon?

The PDA will only calculate corrections for wind and weather influences, when you are using the above addon. Otherwise it will only calculate corrections for bullet drop, because there are no wind/weather influences to the bullet trajectory in the vanilla game.

Edited by Ruthberg

Yes I am, as well as your Kestrel 4500.

EDIT : Hold on, I looked at advanced ballistics and I think I forgot to upload the lastest version of it.

EDIT 2 : updating AdvancedBallistics from v0.5 to v0.6 fixed the issue.

Sorry for disturbing :j:

Edited by ElTyranos

No problem, I'm glad that it works now. In the next few days I will focus on making the Kestrel better and add more predefined gun profiles to the ATragMX.

Sorry, I still don't get the IA after your explanation.

What are the numbers you put in here. Height difference in meters between you and the target or angle?

If I am shooting from a 78 ASL meter elevated position, and the target is at 30ASL meters, Range 508m.

Should I then put 12(580/48) or -5 degrees(if I read it correctly) as the protractor says?

What is the difference between the left and right row on the protractor?

Either way the numbers I calculate gives to low elevation adjustment.

When i walk my shots up to the target I end up at about 1.1 elevation, but the ballistic calculator give -x.x regardless of input.

IA is the inclination angle between you and the target in degrees. The value is positive if you shoot uphills and negative if you shoot downhills.

Using your height difference and range from above I get an angle of -4.747°, by calculating asin(-48/580).

The left row on the protractor shows the "in-between" values of the right row.

There are many things that affect the elevation output of the calculator, some affect it more, some less:

- C1 (Ballistic Coefficient -> ArmA's airFriction)

- Muzzle Velocity

- Zero Range

- Temperature

- Barometric Pressure

- Humidity

- Inclination Angle

- Target Range

I hope I was able to help, otherwise let me know.

Hello !

I only get vertical correction when calculating. What ever I enter in wind values, wind correction stays @ 0 mils

+Install @AdvancedBallistics(last vesion)

Edited by dobryi_33rus

Thanks for the info Ruthberg.

One reason I got confused was that I had set up multiple different playable characters in the editor. I figured out if you use team switch the ballistics don't work properly. Is this something you could look into?

Also is there a way to have both the ballistics calculator and the Kestrel 4500 on the screen at the same time?

Had a lot of fun with it on a test range. Set up a scenario to snipe the driver of moving truck at 700 meters with random wind. That's Bloody hard to hit now! :)

Thanks a lot for letting me know about the issues/thoughts you encounter when using my addon.

I have several improvements for the Kestrel 4500 and AdvancedBallistics addons in the pipe. Viewing the Kestrel while using the ATragMX will be possible in the next version.

If you are engaging moving targets you might also want to take a look at the target speed estimator menu of the ATragMX. You can enter it by clicking on the "TS" button in the Target column.

Edit: The team switch issue now fixed (ATragMX v1.1 and AdvancedBallistics v0.8).

Edited by Ruthberg

Elevation correction to the counterclaim and the tailwind is not calculated ***?

Only crosswind ?:confused:

Version 0.2 Changelog:

-Default scope unit is now Mil

-Added 5.56x45mm MK262 profile

-Fixed 7.62x51mm profile

-Fixed wind corrections not being calculated after using team switch in singleplayer (requires AdvancedBallistics v0.8)

@dobryi_33rus, head- and tailwind effects on the bullet are currently not being simulated.

Wow great tool thnx but i dont really get it can someone make a tutorial or even better video tutorial ?
I made a short demonstration video on how to use the ATragMX:

The following paramaters were estimated based on the Kestrel and ATragMX readings and by looking at the terrain:

* Spin drift and coriolis effect to be 0.1 mil to the right (based on the time of flight prediction of around 1.4 seconds)

* The average barometric pressure to be 800 hPA

* The average crosswind to be 4.5 m/s (25% more than the kestrel reading on my location)

Edited by Ruthberg

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!