Sign in to follow this  
zodd

CombatRPG (Stat/class based progression RPG)

Gday all,

CombatRPG (the name is as much a WIP as the mod) is a mod that started as a bit of a challenge to myself to make something completely outside the Arma realm. I decided on an MMORPG style (starting zones, camps, quests, experience and levelling etc) and relished the challenge as it was something a bit out of the ordinary for the Arma community. After a bit of work it has actually evolved to the point that it is something that is becoming a fair bit of fun (to both play and create!). While this is still VERY early days, as it is something a bit out of the ordinary I figure it is worth putting out there!

Currently it sits somewhere between the fantasy MMORPG style and a Borderlands style RPG. The intent is for players to group (ideally - soloing I am sure will always be an option) to progress through the content - starting in lower level zones before gaining power, skills etc and moving onto higher level content.

Key features:

- Pure stat based damage

- Levelling and progression

- Class based skill (damage) with weapons

- Class skills (magic, stealth etc)

- Visual damage system (Damage displayed as a number when you hit the enemy) and HP bar/names when targeted (THIS took a while but happy with how it turned out!)

- Will feature a custom grouping system

Key shortfalls:

Animations - Not contained in the video but I have found a few placeholder animations within the Arma animation viewer however some custom animations would be a lot better I think.

Particle effects - Something that I will work on once the mod is in a releasable state - if anyone is a particle guru though, feel free to chime in!

Units/equipment - Functional as is however longer term it would be nice to have custom (non 21st century soldier) units.

AI - Getting the AI to fight in an effective way given the overhauled damage system will take a bit of work but even as is it is functional.

Persistant server/character saving - This is a longer term issue however will be a key issue that needs to be sorted if it hopes to be something people actually play more than once!

UI needed (tracking skills, HP etc) - I hate dialogues and my art skills are woeful!

Key points/features are covered in the video below but interested to hear feedback and if anyone has skills in the key areas I dont... that would be great too!

Version history/changelog/current bugs list is being maintained so if it is something people are interested in, feel free to comment/add input - I am most definitely NOT a programmer so all feedback helps!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/74159983/Arma3/CombatRPG/CombatRPG%20tracker.pdf

Note - While I will refer to this as a 'mod', assuming the finished size is not too large I will probably leave it as a script so people are not required to download additional material. That said - if custom animations/weapons/units etc are implemented, obviously that takes it out of script only territory!

Gday all,

CombatRPG (the name is as much a WIP as the mod) is a mod that started as a bit of a challenge to myself to make something completely outside the Arma realm. I decided on an MMORPG style (starting zones, camps, quests, experience and levelling etc) and relished the challenge as it was something a bit out of the ordinary for the Arma community. After a bit of work it has actually evolved to the point that it is something that is becoming a fair bit of fun (to both play and create!). While this is still VERY early days, as it is something a bit out of the ordinary I figure it is worth putting out there!

Currently it sits somewhere between the fantasy MMORPG style and a Borderlands style RPG. The intent is for players to group (ideally - soloing I am sure will always be an option) to progress through the content - starting in lower level zones before gaining power, skills etc and moving onto higher level content.

Key features:

- Pure stat based damage

- Levelling and progression

- Class based skill (damage) with weapons

- Class skills (magic, stealth etc)

- Visual damage system (Damage displayed as a number when you hit the enemy) and HP bar/names when targeted (THIS took a while but happy with how it turned out!)

- Will feature a custom grouping system

Key shortfalls:

Animations - Not contained in the video but I have found a few placeholder animations within the Arma animation viewer however some custom animations would be a lot better I think.

Particle effects - Something that I will work on once the mod is in a releasable state - if anyone is a particle guru though, feel free to chime in!

Units/equipment - Functional as is however longer term it would be nice to have custom (non 21st century soldier) units.

AI - Getting the AI to fight in an effective way given the overhauled damage system will take a bit of work but even as is it is functional.

Persistant server/character saving - This is a longer term issue however will be a key issue that needs to be sorted if it hopes to be something people actually play more than once!

UI needed (tracking skills, HP etc) - I hate dialogues and my art skills are woeful!

Key points/features are covered in the video below but interested to hear feedback and if anyone has skills in the key areas I dont... that would be great too!

Version history/changelog/current bugs list is being maintained so if it is something people are interested in, feel free to comment/add input - I am most definitely NOT a programmer so all feedback helps!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/74159983/Arma3/CombatRPG/CombatRPG%20tracker.pdf

Note - While I will refer to this as a 'mod', assuming the finished size is not too large I will probably leave it as a script so people are not required to download additional material. That said - if custom animations/weapons/units etc are implemented, obviously that takes it out of script only territory!

this is amazing, following this thread for later.

very creative. i always wanted to see something like this in arma. keep it up!