Sign in to follow this  
CommuneCode

The Enhanced Vehicle Features Mod

Hello, and welcome to the discussion for EVFM or Advanced Vehicle Features Mod. This mod for ArmA III will enhance many things about driving a vehicle in A3 that are either not there or are broken. Some of these features will include fogged up windshields in rain, turn signals, lockable doors and *movable windows *Maybe*. All these things are being discussed in this thread as this mod is just in the discussion stage. So, what do you think we should feature in a mod to make vehicles better?

(Note, the features in the mod will be mostly aesthetic, handling and mechanics of the vehicles will not be changed).

NEWS

{8/17/14,[11:40]} I have started assigning all the lights and the menu to functions, which will then be turned into modules when you have the mod loaded.

{8/16/14,[17:30]} I have started to write the configs and doing some test packing, the base of the action menu is done and now all I have to do is write the code for the lights themselves, which is clearly going to take some time. I will post news as I get it.

{8/16/14,[14:16]} I have gotten the action menu working, however I am stuck on using the while {alive player} loop, the lights do not even get created without a loop for some reason, so for now I am searching for a way to loop without breaking the action menu.

Edited by CommuneCode

Sounds pretty cool.

Thanks, I came up with the idea while playing Altis Life. It felt weird because I don't think its realistic enough yet.

---------- Post added at 04:04 ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 ----------

First question, to enable all the features like windshield wipers and turn signals, keyboard shortcuts or scroll menu options?

I watched the video (and actually understood a bit of it) but I don't think that I can do the retractable thing, I can't do modelling or animations worth anything. And I think to that using scrollwheel options would be best. Perhaps using the script to sense when you're slowing down to give you a turn signal option, and when it is raining give you a windshield wipers option.

Well if you cannot model or do the animations...how do you intend to actually make this work. From what I know this is not possible what you are saying.

Clearly he isnt going to be able to do:

-Windows moving up down

-Windshield wipers (probably cant)

What is something you should continue to try, because its possible :

Turn signals

Anything else with lights (hazards, etc etc)

You should continue this, but maybe more focus on the lights and other stuff you can do without models is better.

Both of your posts I see the point, the windows have states of up and down already in ArmA III I believe, if so that's how I intend to get them to work. The lights would definitely be something I would focus on if I can't get windows and windshield wipers.

Working interior lights for both military & civ vehicles would be cool! ;P

It seems as if a lot of new threads are being started about this mod, or that mod, when in reality, they are just requests for things hidden in disguise. For this particular situation, if you know something about scripting, and can work on the lights for turning signals, interior lights, etc, that would be a great help. But, another idea is to reach out to the modders out here in the community that DO KNOW how to implement such things like retractable portions of a model...or moving windshield wipers.

For one example, NodUnit or Franze put out a tutorial on how to make clickable switches, such as the ones they implemented in their AH-64. Another person that I found helpful was Konyo. I just sent him a PM about his winch, and he replied back in a quick amount of time. I guess what I'm saying is, make sure that if you want to create a mod, that you 1) can do some, if not a major portion of the work to get your idea into the game, and 2) that you willing to be patient, be open to learning new techniques and methods, and be willing to reach out for help from the community.

Good luck with it all, it sounds very interesting.

Working interior lights for both military & civ vehicles would be cool! ;P

Indeed, it would.

Guys, don't fall for this thread. It's just a 16 year old who fancies himself a modder/game designer, and knows not of what he speaks.

For the record, Commune, the vehicles don't have the ability to roll the windows up, nor down, in A3. There's the ability to shoot them out, but that's either full up or full down, and that's it. There are hidden animations, but the LODs aren't set properly, so you can't shoot through open doors or something like that, which is why BI didn't enable them. Wipers/rain might be possible, but I think you'd need the sources to do that. Really not sure about fogging up windows, but for both of these, what's the point? You'd have to hook them into a weather mod for them to be useful.

I propose that you let the thread die, gentlemen, because it's nothing but spam anyways. As for Commune, you say you're good at missions, so you might want to stick with that, or actually learn scripting/addonmaking before you make another thread proposing an idea for an addon.

Also, side note, he fancies himself a game designer as well. Claims to be creating his own engine from scratch, his own game(s) too. On top of that, if I remember correctly he was annoyed a few months ago because he hadn't turned 16 yet, and didn't want to share the MANW prize money with his parent/guardian. Made two threads about it in these forums, even. Because, you know, he'd so obviously win it.

Edited by Darkhorse 1-6

Guys, don't fall for this thread. It's just a 16 year old who fancies himself a modder/game designer, and knows not of what he speaks.

For the record, Commune, the vehicles don't have the ability to roll the windows up, nor down, in A3. There's the ability to shoot them out, but that's either full up or full down, and that's it. There are hidden animations, but the LODs aren't set properly, so you can't shoot through open doors or something like that, which is why BI didn't enable them. Wipers/rain might be possible, but I think you'd need the sources to do that. Really not sure about fogging up windows, but for both of these, what's the point? You'd have to hook them into a weather mod for them to be useful.

I propose that you let the thread die, gentlemen, because it's nothing but spam anyways. As for Commune, you say you're good at missions, so you might want to stick with that, or actually learn scripting/addonmaking before you make another thread proposing an idea for an addon.

Also, side note, he fancies himself a game designer as well. Claims to be creating his own engine from scratch, his own game(s) too. On top of that, if I remember correctly he was annoyed a few months ago because he hadn't turned 16 yet, and didn't want to share the MANW prize money with his parent/guardian. Made two threads about it in these forums, even. Because, you know, he'd so obviously win it.

Well you clearly don't know me, or the work I've done. What the hell is wrong with me being 16 and designing my own game? Is it because you didn't when you were 16? And for the record, I really could care less about what you have to say if you are going to be like that. If you don't want to help then leave, your pointless words are not needed. Also, since you are clearly better than me at EVERYTHING playing thread god up there, have fun with YOUR game, or wait? You're not making one you say? Weird.

Raptor 6, this is not a request thread, I am just getting suggestions for it here. I do know how to make mods and scripts but I'm not going to sit here and say I'm the best at it. Doing the lights should be fine for me to release as my first full featured mod.

Good luck with the interior lights, for the (dynamic) lighting engine couldn't care less about obstacles. If you find a way to put interior lights into vehicles, without turning them into ambulant torchlights then "chapeau monsieur".

If this is supposed to be an eyecandy mod purely, and we take the fact that vehicle models will keep legaly untouchable for the future for granted...

what is it that you actually want to do /can do ? I can't think of much that could improve visuals but doesnt require touching the model in one way or another.

You can use lighting using SQF, that is easy if you know how to cast shadows and light rays and even easier if you made the engine yourself, but clearly I didn't make the RV engine. I have seen plenty of cool lighting effects done in ArmA III and even II, I'm sure I can make do.

I have started to write the configs and doing some test packing, the actions menu is done and now all I have to do is write the code for the lights themselves, which is clearly going to take some time. I will post news as I get it.

Also, some of the LOD's work just fine. The one's on the Kajman, GW, and mohawk work fine. If you use the littlebird bench animations those work fine, too. The one's that don't work properly are the animations for the Hunter and Strider. Even the Ifrit doors work.

I know all of them work, I could find a way to remove the windows using a script. I'm not sure if there is a function to damage that type of vehicle part.

NEWS: I have started assigning all the lights and the menu to functions, which will then be turned into modules when you have the mod loaded.

You can't bump on these forums, it's the rules. (Go back and read them, just to be safe).

Edit that post to be something different :)

Thank me later.

Good to hear you did some work on lights apparently, if I read that correctly.

Wouldn't bother about windows, at least not like a animated thing.

Try:

Press something (or whatever) and it enables/deletes the window, but make some way so you can't cheat and regen broken windows with it , FYI you can specifically dmg parts of a vehicle, they had artificial heli tail rotor scripts and such, check the code in those.

Idk if this can be done to windows, but I'm pretty damn sure it can, ace 2 in arma 2 let you break a damaged windshield with action menu, pretty sure it's possible, probs doesn't but maybe needs cab (probs not tho).

You should get hazard lights and turn signals in, maybe neon underglow for race cars (as a mission based module you sync to the car maybe?)

You should really upload a vid of current progress, since some ppl were complaining about "vapor ware",

I can't blame them, because we had some particular community members posting huge posts of overly large mods they could never make, and making like 4 threads etc.

just so you understand why some can feel this way.

(Sent from iPad)