Sign in to follow this  
aspire

Another update, another modbreaking one

I just recently discovered Dynamic Universal War System for myself and have been playing it with impunity for the past week or so.

Now, I decided that I wanted to get some custom mods in there, such as the Mk18 pack or FHQ Accessories.

And there I hit the first problem: The modded guns didn't do any sound.

Apparently since the Bootcamp update, pretty much all weapon mods out there need to have their configs updated to actually have working sounds, fortunately for me, the maker of the Mk18 pack brought out a temporary fix for the guns that gives them the MX sounds.

So thinking everything was working, I tried to mount the FHQ accessories to the Mk18 pack weapons, as that has always worked, after they had both started using ASDG as well.

It doesn't, so apparently that is also a thing that the Bootcamp update broke.

+FHQ M4 doesn't even appear ingame now, it doesn't work altogether. (I'm pretty sure this isn't an error on my part I checked.)

So just mount Bohemia accessories right? Wrong. They can be mounted but the scopes just don't work. The optics are all flawed with modded weapons. Flawed to the level where I need to zero the DMS to 800 meters on the Mk18 to hit something at 300.

Please, check these things before releasing Updates, I enjoyed the Bootcamp mini-campaign but this stuff just breaks the whole thing for me again.

It's the mod author's job to ensure his/her product is working, not Bohemia's.

Which is correct, also mod/addon makers were informed weeks in advance by BIS that the changes would be happening. And since the update, most mod/addons have updated their content to reflect the changes.

But why not just build the update in a way that doesn't break the way 95% of weapon addons work? Like, which part of the update broke everything?

My understanding is that major functionality changes should be reserved for the alpha/beta phase of the games development. Else, you get fiasco's like the 1.63 Arma 2 patch (and I'm not talking about Steam).

There's plenty of other M4 weapon addons out there that are working just fine, why not move on to one of those an wait until your package of choice has been updated?

But why not just build the update in a way that doesn't break the way 95% of weapon addons work? Like, which part of the update broke everything?

I'm sure Bohemia would do just that if it was feasible at all.

The complete overhaul of how the suppressors work ingame broke the sounds, but as R0adki11 pointed out, the change was not a surprise.

There's plenty of other M4 weapon addons out there that are working just fine, why not move on to one of those an wait until your package of choice has been updated?

Because most other M4 packs are of terribad quality compared to either the Mk18 Mod 1 or the FHQ M4s.

Use RH's M4s. They are the best on the market.

No Mk18 but everything else is excellent. To the point that I wonder why people use the FHQ stuff. My only real problem with RH M4s and M16s is that they are a bit clean. Otherwise they look, sound, and work great.

Also, FHQ has been updated, so that stuff should be fine.

Arma 3 has always been and will always be an evolving product. That's how it was sold to us. BI informed everyone what was happening well in advance and from what I understand fixing the addons for the Bootcamp update was very simple. So if your addon isn't fixed, it's because the mod maker abandoned the project, wasn't paying attention, or you don't have the latest version.

You have to understand that believe it or not, Bohemia in its way has a plan, and while it seems to take input, it still has the final call on what to do and what not to do. Given the issues with servers and whatnot and some clans, it did more than just jack up the sound issue. So its the way it is man.

BI was extremely clear, telling everybody more than a month in advance that they were changing the way weapon sounds were handled/assigned (I do not know the details, you'll have to look it up yourself). Your mod maker has probably long-since updated the mod in question, and if not, perhaps it's time to find someone who cares more about their work.