skruis

Athena - An ARMA 2nd Screen Application

@x_DarkSpecter_x Dark, message me on Steam. I'll be in my office later today. We can work around this issue and I hate to see someone spend money on something we can get working for free.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, skruis said:

@x_DarkSpecter_x Dark, message me on Steam. I'll be in my office later today. We can work around this issue and I hate to see someone spend money on something we can get working for free.

Will do! Thanks a ton man!

@skruis is a community server like what ive done where ive installed athena to the server?

also when you put it on steam i deleted the mod files i had and installed via steam as i prefer steam workshop for managing my mods to manual and now sometimes it doesnt connect to my server and sometimes it does but when i click proceed it gets stuck on importing data and no matter how long i leave it, it doesnt get any further

Hello God, its me again ;-). PM me on steam and well see if we can resolve. 

Guys, just wanted to provide a status update for those of you experiencing issues when exporting maps to a 2nd pc: I'm closing in on a fix and should have it released soon (next day or so ... depending on whitelisting).

Small glitch I've found; I use the steam frame counter, and if you allow the thing to open the window, steam thinks it's part of the game and puts a frame counter on it. And since the monitor that I have athena is on is a different resolution, the frame counter is huge and flickers annoyingly. Is there a way in the settings to choose whether or not it auto launches?

@karlmoebius Yes, there is but there's also a bug in the implementation :-(  So, there's an AthenaExtensionSettings.txt file in the @Athena mod folder. That has a setting in it that allows you to disable auto launching of the app. The problem is that before the mod actually reads the settings, it looks for the settings file under the old name: Athena.Extension.Settings.txt. So...yea. What you can do is copy the AthenaExtensionSettings.txt file and rename the copy to Athena.Extension.Settings.txt but then edit AthenaExtensionSettings.txt and change ath_launch_app=true to ath_launch_app=false. I'm sorry for the run around...some of these things, you change but you forget to test. Let me know if you need help.

@J.Summerville You're not the first to ask for that and ... there are plans. Once Athena is a little more stable, some bugs have been stamped out and the current roadmap implemented, I've got some ideas for making Athena into a better JTAC interface.

6 minutes ago, skruis said:

@J.Summerville You're not the first to ask for that and ... there are plans. Once Athena is a little more stable, some bugs have been stamped out and the current roadmap implemented, I've got some ideas for making Athena into a better JTAC interface.

I actually just found out that the guys from my unit, Air Combat Command contacted you about this! thanks for the info.

All, I've submitted a new version for whitelisting. I'll update the workshop as soon as I confirm it's been whitelisted. Here's the change log:

1. General
1a. Corrected issues in protocol preventing reliable use on 2nd PC (Map exports failing, disconnections, etc).

2. ACS
2a. Added server password support
2b. Corrected issues with rooms.
2c. Added ability to disconnect from ACS 
2d. Improved connection status notifications
2e. Appended (world) to callsigns in the Session list
2f. Added 'Display Name' support to worlds

3. App
3a. Add 'shadow' to all 'icon' markers
3b. Italicised 'player' units in ORBAT to help differentiate between AI and humans
3c. Corrected issues with markers not allowing you to draw on them
3d. Added support for saving and loading saves
3e. Added window that will provide additional details about connection status

4. Relay
4a. Added support for specifying pipe name
4b. Reworked status form to show additional information per connection

5. Extension
5a. Added support for auto starting logger in same fashion as auto launching app, relay
5b. Added support for specifying pipe name

• Like 2

All, I've posted the latest version to the Workshop. BattleEye whitelisting is pending.

All, BattleEye whitelisting has gone through. We're compatible. Great timing on BIS' part.

@Tankbuster Dammit. Do they appear like that immediately? This is in your mission, right? And the markers don't change size, correct?

Just started using Athena, with an eye to incorporating it into the set of mods my group uses. So far, I'm very impressed. Just started loading maps into my local environment, and I have some questions and small issues:

1. For each map generated (eg. Malden 2035), to distribute this to others, all I need to do is package up the Maps\Malden folder, and send it to other users?
  2. (Not sure how to add attachments here) - I found some label issues in Malden 2035, how do I get the screens to you?
  3. Any chance of having the Athena Desktop app remember it's place on the desktop (top,left,height,width,etc) and other map layer settings when opened?

6 hours ago, skruis said:

@Tankbuster Dammit. Do they appear like that immediately? This is in your mission, right? And the markers don't change size, correct?

Yeah, 'fraid so, mate. 

The markers aren't supposed to change size or shape, only colour - both were originally red.

3 hours ago, Divot said:

Any chance of having the Athena Desktop app remember it's place on the desktop (top,left,height,width,etc) and other map layer settings when opened?

+1 for this. Athena doesn't remember which monitor it was opened on in a multimonitor setup.

@Divot Hey! Ok, so...

1. Yep or you can setup an ACS and share the maps via that application

2. Um, post them to dropbox or something and send me the links?

3. Will investigate

@Tankbuster I received the replays. I'll take a look at them and get back to you!

• Like 2

Oh, also, change in plans: I'll be merging the logger into the ACS. Not sure how many of you use it but in retrospect, having the two in the same application will make some things easier. Also, one of the features that I've wanted to add to the ACS, in addition to AAR playback, is a remote 'live' view. So basically, the @athenasvr mod runs on the armaserver, it pushes data to the server's relay and the relay pushes the data to the ACS/Logger app. Then someone can point their Athena to the ACS and watch the mission without having to actually be in ARMA. I wasn't sure how well that would run but ... I had an informal test with another Athena user. They opened up their relay port (TCP 28800) to the net and I connected remotely (File->Settings) to their public IP and I watched his mission in Athena. It actually ran pretty well too (10-20 fps). So, that's also a feature that will be included in the merged logger/acs. It's in development now.

57 minutes ago, skruis said:

@Divot Hey! Ok, so...

1. Yep or you can setup an ACS and share the maps via that application

2. Um, post them to dropbox or something and send me the links?

3. Will investigate

@Tankbuster I received the replays. I'll take a look at them and get back to you!

1. Awesome, thanks!

2. Link to 7 screens shots with issues in the place name labels and extended characters:  Place names  (Let me know if this doesn't work...)

3. Awesome ++

Divot, yea, I see what you mean. That's actually been a persistent issue for a while and I believe it's a text encoding issue. I'll see what I can do to resolve this.

• Like 1

Yea, so, I believe ARMA uses UTF-8 but my extension is immediately decoding the incoming UTF-8 as UTF-16 and then it's being re-encoded in UTF-8 afterwards. So I have to fix the initial incorrect UTF-16 decoding. Simple fix ... if that's the problem.