skruis

Athena - An ARMA 2nd Screen Application

holy shit this is amazing, from a milsim/realism standpoint this is exactly what the community needs, however. just tested this out and will test again later, the load time, especially for Altis, is likely to kill it for us along with the map becoming unresponsive, to elaborate some more. the map continues to update units moving around but you cant add anything to it, markers/ lines or select anything for that matter.

Diesel, thanks! Well the map doesnt yet support marker creation and such. It may also appear to be herky jerky if its still in ‘follow’ mode. As far as the load times, I agree. Streamlining the map load process is on the todo list. 

Stitches - I replied to your post on the Steam Workshop listing but I'll respond here as well: I just scanned it locally using BitDefender which is one of the utilities that found a 'threat' according to MetaDefender and BitDefender came back clean. I'm ignoring this report. Additionally, Metadefenders conclusion was that 'no vulnerabilities detected'. Scanning for viruses is a prudent action but I think this is a false semi-positive.

***Update*** - I dug a little deeper and after updating Bitdefender, it came back claiming that the file is infected. I changed the output file name of the build process in Visual Studio and rebuilt it into AthenaCommServer.exe, rescanned it and it was not infected. There were no code changes other than the assembly name. I've also ran scans using MBAM and that came back clean so I still think this is a false positive but I'll update the Workshop package with the renamed/rebuilt EXE today.

Thank you for the reply. i was not being facetious when i came here and posted. I was just trying to get an answer because i have a Arma 3 group that i am in numbering 100+ that i did not want to share this with them just to get them infected with a virus. Thank you for the reply :D

@stitches3911 I get it man. No worries. Either way, the scan is coming back clean after a rebuild and rename so I'll post that to the workshop later today and we'll be good to go.

Hello i have some problems with my Virus system BitDefender.

Your Webpage:

German:
Die Webseite http://www.athenamod.com/ ist mit Malware infiziert. Die Webseite wurde durch den Malware-Filter blockiert und Ihr PC ist wieder sicher!

English:
The website http://www.athenamod.com/ is infected with malware. The website has been blocked by the malware filter and your PC is safe again.

Your Addon:

Gen:Variant.johnnie.69807 named threat, from BitDefender System.

According to google, it's a trojan.

Please take this information and fix it if possible.

best regards Str1k3r2k4

I'm guessing someone downloaded the ACS file from the Zip on the site, Bitdefender flagged it and flagged the site because it was the source. Ugh. Ok, I'll take care of it. Thanks!

***UPDATE*** - I've redirected Athenamod.com to the Workshop Item page for now. The site was horribly out of date anyways. Even after redirecting, Bitdefender is still claiming the site is a malware host so I'm guessing Bitdefender isn't 'actively' scanning the site before loading the content, it's just checking a blacklist and that kind of reinforces my original suspicion. I've applied for a delisting and it should be resolved in 72 hours...at which point my headache will end. Sorry for the inconvenience! If I was actively trying to infect you guys, I would have embedded the infection in the actual application ;-)

Sorry for the inconvenience! If I was actively trying to infect you guys, I would have embedded the infection in the actual application ;-)

Hello,

Thank you for the perception of the problem. I do not think you meant to harm anyone.

However, it could be that your website was manipulated.

But what makes me very startled is the warning of the addon that a Trojan hides there.

But to mention it again, the idea you have here is simply a "must have" for the people.

I'm already looking out for my old projector, so I can generate a tactical insert card.

This is just awesome.

Can you try to connect the data on a tablet, say an iPad with an app, the step should not be too big, I think.

Yea, I know. I don't know what the deal is with that because ... I had just 'rebuilt' that exe the day that I published it to the Workshop. And the only change I've made since then is changing the output file name and rebuilding it again...but now it comes back as clean. I've also scanned my workstation today several times using several different products and each time, those have come back clean apart from the ACS.exe file. So, I'm clearly not infected and this is a false positive. It's a little frustrating because all of this is happening right after I post Athena to the workshop :-) Either way, I'll get this straightened out.

Tactical Insert card?

As far as iOS, it's not even on my radar right now. I want to try porting this to a cross device Xamarin code base using .net standard 2 but I don't think that's going to happen. I seem to remember someone having success connecting their iPad as a 2nd monitor to their PC and then using Athena inside of that.

Hey guys, I've posted a ... what I thought would be brief ... video showing how the AAR works: 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Str1k3r2k4 said:

Can you try to connect the data on a tablet, say an iPad with an app, the step should not be too big, I think.

Yeah, I've done this. The desktop part of athena is Windows only but you can make an apple or android tablet into a PC monitor and drag the athena application to that. I have posted pics and maybe even video earlier in the thread.

Requested feature - Distinguish between AI and player controlled units in ORBAT data

This the VileAce from the Steam comments on the mod,  Here is the list of mods I am running which cause Athena not to show the map import screen.  If I just run Athena it works fine.  I will go through the process of elimination to find the one mods causing the problem.

Well,  I found that it only happens on one of our 5 servers.  Is there anything that I should look at to find out why this might be happening.  It is a Zeus server which is the only major difference between the server it does not work on and the other servers it does work on.

Sorry one more issue.  If I go to the ORBAT screen and click Trace on a unit twice Athena crashes every time.  

UPDATE-  I am re-subscripting to make sure that it is not a local issue.  I am getting other strange issues that I was not getting before.

Ace, good suggestion, thats a lot of mods and will fix ?

@acebelew Is the incompatibility limited to the world export or do the two completely fail when run together?

***EDIT*** Ok, I just saw that you edited the post. Um, that's ... completely odd. So, one is a Zeus and the others aren't so I'm assuming they're "NOT" running the same missions? It could be an issue with a particular mission. I might have a conflicting global variable somewhere.

Feature request - Ability to scale unit markers separately of the map.  On a map the size of Altis.  When I am zoomed out all the way I see about 1/6 of the map.   But at that zoom level the players are not visible on the map they are just to small.  I would like to be able to zoom out even more on a map like Altis so I could see the whole map, but I could imagine if I can not see players at the current zoom seeing players zoomed out would be impossible. So what would be nice is a second adjustment to control the scaling of the different layers.  That way I could scale the size of the icon and text for players separate of the map.Athena-Scaling.jpg

Issue not bug - If there is a area on the map, for example on our server were mark the AO with an ellipse filled in with the forward diagonal brush, Athena can not start drawing in that area.  If I start drawing outside the area it will allow me to draw over the area. But If I select draw in Athena I can not begin the line inside or over an area with a map created area. 

I know my explanation might be hard to understand.   Included image for reference.

Athena-Drawing.jpg

1 hour ago, skruis said:

@acebelew Is the incompatibility limited to the world export or do the two completely fail when run together?

***EDIT*** Ok, I just saw that you edited the post. Um, that's ... completely odd. So, one is a Zeus and the others aren't so I'm assuming they're "NOT" running the same missions? It could be an issue with a particular mission. I might have a conflicting global variable somewhere.

Athena launches,  I click start and nothing happens. You are welcome to try yourself.  216.52.148.48:2302  I am trying to connect with Athena only - no other mods.

After it sits for a while 45min with Altis map, I exit out. It never shows the dialog to proceed.  I have checked the Relay log and this is what is there.

11/2/2017 6:45:58 PM :: listener:sendCallback :: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine
11/2/2017 6:46:34 PM :: SendPipeMessage :: Error: Pipe is broken.
11/2/2017 6:46:35 PM :: Listener.AcceptCallback :: Connection failed during connection acceptance.

Hey Skruis, I'm having a little trouble getting your mod to run (import maps); here's what I'm running into:

When using Athena from my laptop (wifi adapter connection, port opened, firewall for port and Athena app disabled) I run into one of two problems. The first is it gives me an error in the Athena app when I try to import, which says that the map importation failed because of a change in the mission or Relay isn't working or something (I can't remember at the moment but I'll come back and edit when I get it again). The other is it get's stuck on "receiving world mesh" even though on my Arma PC (ethernet cable connection, port opened) it says in game that it's done exporting. 

This mod looks amazing and I can't wait to use it! What do you think I'm doing wrong though?

Because I'm weird, I allowed Athena to import the VR map. It worked, but it's a bit pointless. :)

@x_DarkSpecter_x The connection between the relay and the desktop app is not fault tolerant enough for some wifi connections. It's on my list of things to nail down but in the meantime, if you can, run the export locally on your own PC and then copy the map files (My Docs\Athena\Maps) to your 2nd pc manually -or- if you connect your laptop via a wired Ethernet connection, it should work then. Altenatively, you can connect to my ACS:

server: acs.athenamod.com

port: 28804

And you can download the maps from there.

Tank: I did the same thing :-) I just wondered what would happen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Okay thanks I'll try that! 

EDIT: @skruis I tried running it locally, now unfortunately after it's finished exporting in-game (seems to be importing in Athena as well), I'll alt-tab to Athena where it will hit me with the initial promp asking me if I want to begin the import process, like it never began the importation in the first place. I also checked my documents>Athena>maps folder and it the map folder will be there, however all the sub folders are empty. I also checked to make sure Relay was running in the background and it is. Tomorrow I'll go buy another cable to set up my laptop to my PC and try that, but any ideas in the meantime?

Thank you so much for your response and help btw!