skruis

Athena - An ARMA 2nd Screen Application

Just now, skruis said:

Yep. I hate the hotkeys implementation. You have to be very deliberate with it. Even if the textbox is blank, you might have to select it and hit 'escape' to clear it again. I'll work on it and get something a little more reliable out soon. That whole functionality is going to have to change just because ... when Athena makes the jump to a UWP app (Windows 10 Store App), it will no longer support global hotkeys because of a limitation with UWP. My work around is going to be to remove HotKeys from the Athena application itself and perhaps move it into ARMA and then relay the command to Athena. The result will be slightly delayed compared to the current HotKeys implementation (only slightly) but it'll be more reliable. The only gotcha will be filtering which Athena clients should execute the ARMA Athena control instructions because there will be no way to say "Only this client gets the command" but ... I can add a checkbox to the Athena->File->Settings dialog to toggle whether or not the Athena client (think one on a 2nd monitor, another on a laptop) ignores ARMA supplied commands (zoom in, zoom out, bla bla bla). That will actually work for other commands that groups might want to implement like "On", "Off", "Player Only (will only show your location)" or "Player Group (will only show your group)", etc...commands that allow mission designers and communities to have a little more control over what's actually displayed...but that's in the future: HotKey fixes are short term.

TBH, the only hotkeys I use is zoom in and zoom out. I tried to have them as alt numpad plus or minus, so there'd be some commonality with the zoom in arma, but even with alt (or even ctrl) held, the game still gets the zoom in/out action. So zooming Athena meant the game zoomed as well. Annoying enough to make me switch to using a function key for Athena zooms. 

I was expecting you to say were going to move the hotkeys to the game and away from the app. This is surely the way forward.

5 minutes ago, Tankbuster said:

...This is surely the way forward.

Absolutely. And it'll be easier to clear up key 'conflicts' as well. Just to give you an idea of priority: AAR then HotKeys.

• Like 1

That's cool. I'll try the escape an empty field technique this evening.

On 28/02/2017 at 4:51 PM, Tankbuster said:

That's cool. I'll try the escape an empty field technique this evening.

I couldn't make it work. I can have F11 as zoom in, but it won't accept F10 as zoom out. :(

Is it just the F10 key that's not working? You could also try something like SHIFT+F11 to zoom out.

1 minute ago, skruis said:

Is it just the F10 key that's not working? You could also try something like SHIFT+F11 to zoom out.

LOL. That's exactly what I have done.

Yes, it's only the F10 key. I can't put F10 in any hotkey field in Athena.

Ha, nice. Yea, there's probably some other application that's grabbing F10 before it hits Athena or yea, maybe it's just an odd blindspot in the HotKey implementation. Oh, I also looked into using A3 keybinds and it's looking like Athena will have to rely on CBA for that functionality. I was trying to avoid dependencies but there's not much info on establishing keybinds without CBA so ... that's something that will be happening.

Hey @skruis, love the new update. <3 - is there anyway to update the designer? (also perhaps add the link to first page under the designer info)

-@addondesigner = 20170130

-Desktop = 20170225b

pulls unit information, and correctly displays infantry icons, and group markers. But won't display vehicle icons.

P.S. you need a donation page setup ;)

Edit: Ability to look off the screen a little. (limit center point to map sides instead of corners) http://imgur.com/a/JLNLi but on both sides.

Not sure about others, but quite a few of our missions pushes us off into the edge, and sometimes even off. it'd also make it a lot nicer following units that are moving at a fast pace.

@zebby5000 Sorry for the delay on this. Had some work stuff to take care of so I had to take a small break from Athena.

@Ritalin44 Absolutely. I'll look into this tomorrow.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, skruis said:

@zebby5000 Sorry for the delay on this. Had some work stuff to take care of so I had to take a small break from Athena.

Hey, I know you have life other than this. :) I just appreciate that you still support and update it m8, if anything I was more worried that something happened to you.

P.S. don't rush, the 64bit screwed up all our other mods and all my missions now crash to desktop. :/ rip

Seriously though... donation page... or a paypal?

• Like 2

I have to apply for BE whitelisting, so in the short term you can't use this version of Athena with BattleEye but here you go:

http://athenamod.com/download/20170319.zip

http://athenamod.com/download/20170319_designer.zip

I had previously added some of the x64 support so I was able to generate these pretty quickly. I hopped in A3 and everything appeared to work correctly. Let me know if you run into any other issues. Otherwise, I'll apply for whitelisting now and I'll let you know when I hear back.

No donations. This is just a fun project for me ;-)

-bus

(UPDATE: Just applied for whitelisting. Will update when I hear back.)

(UPDATE 2: Just heard from BE. The changes will be whitelisted 'shortly')

(UPDATE 3: THIS BETA INCLUDES THE X64 DLL)

• Like 4

Hi Skruis, and first , thx for your excelent work.

Can we expect a 64 bit dll for Athena ? is there a git depot somewhere ?

Thx again ;-)

2 minutes ago, GOS ToF said:

Hi Skruis, and first , thx for your excelent work.

Can we expect a 64 bit dll for Athena ? is there a git depot somewhere ?

Thx again ;-)

Look 1 post up :-)  ...but I guess it didn't specifically say that it included the x64 dll. I'll update it.

Damn, you re right !!!

i missed a cow in a corridor ;-)

Thx !

GOS ToF: No problem! Let me know if you run into any issues.

Everyone: This is as good a time as any for a status report: I've made good progress on the AAR component. There's an @AthenaSvr mod and a logger utility that you run on the server. It collects the data exported from the @AthenaSvr mod and packages it into zip files. I'm working on auto uploading the zip files to the ACS now and then I'll have to add the functionality for 'browsing' the AAR records via the Athena client. Has anyone run into any bugs w/ the latest version(s)?

Heya @skruis 

Quick and possibly extremely complicated question. You've successfully exported map, unit and inventory data to a live external client. (Athena, Duh)

I was wondering if it was at all possible to export PIP displays. or MFD's from a cockpit even.

I'm not asking you to perform such miracles. Only if it is possible, since you seem to have a firm grasp on things.

Probably not via scripting but it 'might' be possible via methods outside of the game ... but those are beyond my abilities currently. For MFD's that don't involve any actual in game 3D rendering (like mirrors or drone cameras), it would be possible to capture data points, export them and recreate the MFD's outside of the game using the data.

• Like 1

On 23/03/2017 at 3:53 PM, skruis said:

GOS ToF: No problem! Let me know if you run into any issues.

Perhaps nothing... or not. It seems i can t import Map with 64 bit version and @athenadesigner 

Another thing, Avast detect Relay.exe as a "virus" IDP.generic...

Finally, is there any git hub to visualize your source ? 

Do you plan to build an API to visualize Replay in Web interface ?

Thx.

GOS ToF:

1. @AthenaDesigner has had all of the map export functionality ripped from it reduce maintenance on my end. It's strictly for mission design.

2. Weird.

3. Nope and while you should never say never, I'm pretty comfortable saying 'never' to releasing the source to the applications. I 'might' post the SQF to a GitHub repo in the future just because it's easy enough to rip pbo's apart anyways and because it's ARMA specific whereas the other components could be ported to other games ... but that's probably not going to happen either just because I have to take my time to post it, document it, etc..

4. Nope. The ACS and Athena Desktop application combination is meant as an alternative solution. I know that solution it not as effortless as a website but I'd rather invest my own time in a platform I have a majority of control over rather than relying on multiple 3rd party app delivery mechanism (browser) and dealing with all of the various compatibility issues that arise as a result.

I understand.

is it possible to allow mission replay with @AthenaDesigner ? I can t visualize replay (bug ?).

What are the chances of the next release allowing a smaller minimum brush size? Even when at minimum size, it's still way too big sometimes.

The chances are good. It's really only 1 setting to change the minimum. I just didn't know how usable it would be because I easily lost track of where my cursor was with smaller brush sizes.

• Like 1