Sign in to follow this  
RoyWheels

[COOP] Escape Roy

Thanks for the comments. I'm really happy people are getting some entertainment from this mission.

So, I've implemented an automatic and optional faction thingy. Each map now has an additional 'location' setting in the config. It's very basic at the moment, the maps use just four locations- Africa, Eastern Europe, Asia and The Middle East (Note- The Asian option has no unique settings at the moment- it's just the default unit classes). The mission will detect when CAF is installed and run the unit class config for the location of the map. So Chernarus will use the EastEuro unit classes, Takistan the MidEast unit classes. As it stands, this will change the game a lot as I've removed most of the default Arma 3 content and heavily restricted it at ammo depots. So expect a lot of AK47 gunfights with the locals. ;) Of course, if you run the mission without the CAF addons it will be unchanged from the default classes.

I'd love to hear some ideas on how this might be developed. I can and will add in some other optional packs and it would be pretty easy to add weapon boxes for each region (please link me to any weapon addons that you think I should include) but I'm open to views on how else these elements could work. Adding the correct civs is a must and I plan to add an option that will allow enemy groups to spawn with a random choice of faction. This would mean you could meet a group of rebels in one village and then come across some opfor baddies elsewhere.

Thanks for the comments. I'm really happy people are getting some entertainment from this mission.

So, I've implemented an automatic and optional faction thingy. Each map now has an additional 'location' setting in the config. It's very basic at the moment, the maps use just four locations- Africa, Eastern Europe, Asia and The Middle East (Note- The Asian option has no unique settings at the moment- it's just the default unit classes). The mission will detect when CAF is installed and run the unit class config for the location of the map. So Chernarus will use the EastEuro unit classes, Takistan the MidEast unit classes. As it stands, this will change the game a lot as I've removed most of the default Arma 3 content and heavily restricted it at ammo depots. So expect a lot of AK47 gunfights with the locals. ;) Of course, if you run the mission without the CAF addons it will be unchanged from the default classes.

I'd love to hear some ideas on how this might be developed. I can and will add in some other optional packs and it would be pretty easy to add weapon boxes for each region (please link me to any weapon addons that you think I should include) but I'm open to views on how else these elements could work. Adding the correct civs is a must and I plan to add an option that will allow enemy groups to spawn with a random choice of faction. This would mean you could meet a group of rebels in one village and then come across some opfor baddies elsewhere.

Cool, looking to add @EastAndWest http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?174119-East-vs-West-%28OFP-inspired-mod%29

Thanks for the EastWest linky. Nice, one download and no additional requirements. That's my kind of addon. I can get that in to the mission fine although it does throw up a question before I get too deeply involved in it...

On that note, I don't think I'll bother with addons that need multiple other addons to work. I just can't see many people using them.

Do people play missions with multiple faction addons? Should I make unit configs that use just one addon or try and work multiple addons into one. An example would be the CAF Eastern Europeans and this EastandWest pack. Should they work together? Hmmm... I'm still thinking that adding arrays for each faction (if detected) could be used as groups with a random chance of the faction you're meeting. I can see a possible clash between addons though.

From a weapons addons perspective, I am a big fan of Toadies work: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?172850-Toadie-s-SmallArms-and-Animations-for-Arma3

The animations are great.

Hmmm, they look nice but why are they all split up? This is the problem with adding fiddly mods that only add a couple of elements to gameplay, especially on a dedicated server. If I added them to the mission I'd have put a check in the config for each of those mods and I'm not sure that's a good thing to do.

what about clafgan island?

Did you look in the zip? It works fine.

Hmmm, they look nice but why are they all split up? This is the problem with adding fiddly mods that only add a couple of elements to gameplay, especially on a dedicated server. If I added them to the mission I'd have put a check in the config for each of those mods and I'm not sure that's a good thing to do.

They are split up because some people don't like downloading hundreds of megabytes just to get AKs etc. IMO it's the best way to do things. As for integrating them into your mission, that's up to you to determine it's worth. I will say that toadie2k's weapons are the best I've used in Arma.

Played around with support for Celle2 terrain, played some test session with this yesterday and it seems to work, was very enjoyable.

WorldConfig.sqf

if (worldName == "mbg_celle2") exitWith {
A3E_WorldSize = 10000;
A3E_MinObjDistance = 500;
A3E_WorldName = "mbg_celle2";
A3E_ComCenterCount = 2;
A3E_AmmoDepotCount = 5;
A3E_FlyHeight = 100;
A3E_SnowChance = 0;
A3E_Location = "Default";
};

WorldConfig__.sqf

case "mbg_celle2": {
A3E_WorldSize = 10000;
A3E_ComCenterCount = 2;
A3E_AmmoDepotCount = 5;
A3E_FlyHeight = 100;
A3E_SnowChance = 0;
};

mission.sqm

http://pastebin.com/wedc0xGj

By the way, we ditched the idea of East vs West mod since the units in the mods have inadequate weapons. We have now gone with Russians mod + Toadies weapons instead.

One thing that kind of bothers is how it would be possible to change the default loadout for enemy weapons when they spawn in, to for example use player models from Russians and using AKs and other weapons from Toadies pack. Mostly changes for having Russians in has been done in UnitClasses but also in some other files.

They are split up because some people don't like downloading hundreds of megabytes just to get AKs etc. IMO it's the best way to do things. As for integrating them into your mission, that's up to you to determine it's worth. I will say that toadie2k's weapons are the best I've used in Arma.

IMO it can be a pain in the arse to have to deal with a modular system for a few extra weapons, especially when you're installing on to a dedi server with a load of other addons whilst linking downloads to friends who don't get all that excited about multiple zip/rars. Let's agree to disagree on that. ;)

As a few people have mentioned their quality I'll look into getting the toadie weapons into the mission. I've sorted out a system to add in additional weapons to the mixed config so it shouldn't be too hard.

Played around with support for Celle2 terrain, played some test session with this yesterday and it seems to work, was very enjoyable.

WorldConfig.sqf

if (worldName == "mbg_celle2") exitWith {
A3E_WorldSize = 10000;
A3E_ComCenterCount = 2;
A3E_AmmoDepotCount = 5;
A3E_FlyHeight = 100;
A3E_SnowChance = 0;
A3E_Location = "Default";
};

WorldConfig__.sqf

case "mbg_celle2": {
A3E_WorldSize = 10000;
A3E_ComCenterCount = 2;
A3E_AmmoDepotCount = 5;
A3E_FlyHeight = 100;
A3E_SnowChance = 0;
};

mission.sqm

http://pastebin.com/wedc0xGj

By the way, we ditched the idea of East vs West mod since the units in the mods have inadequate weapons. We have now gone with Russians mod + Toadies weapons instead.

One thing that kind of bothers is how it would be possible to change the default loadout for enemy weapons when they spawn in, to for example use player models from Russians and using AKs and other weapons from Toadies pack. Mostly changes for having Russians in has been done in UnitClasses but also in some other files.

A map I didn't have! Nice one chains! Thanks for that. I'll add the config to the next release. I've also added FSF Kalu Khan for the next version.

Thanks for the addons feedback. It should be possible to re-equip infantry on spawning and only use the toadie weapons. I like the idea of that if the toadie weapons are higher quality.

Edited by RoyWheels

Ok, new version up with the CAF and EASTWEST mods fully integrated. I've tried to explain the workings of the two modes available for them in the feature list. I've not played the pure modes much as I prefer mixing it all up. Feedback welcomed on the modes.

I also fixed some bugs that were annoying me.

And I'll soon put the toadie weapons into the mix.... :)

Hi Roy,

Had to post and say thanks for this brilliant mission.

The only thing I've added is a small script to remove fatigue to init.sqf,

if (local player) then {

player enableFatigue false;

player addEventhandler ["Respawn", {player enableFatigue false}];

};

Roy, maybe you could add this to your mission as an option in params.hpp? I can cut/copy/paste and play with the code but I'm not a coder myself!

Kindest regards

Mac

Edited by macwireworld

Thanks for the comments Mac. I like your idea on an optional fatigue parameter. I'll certainly add that idea in.

New version up which fixes the infotext bug on dedi servers and introduces some different enemy activities once the extraction choppers are triggered.

I like your idea on an optional fatigue parameter. I'll certainly add that idea in

Thanks, Roy :D

Here's some feedback from playing your mission on my dedicated server. (with fatigue disabled)

V4.27

Last night with 5 players, when we hacked the console in the comms center the game froze/lagged out for about 30 seconds until the "hacking complete" message came up.

Quite often on restart (after mission fail), we all spawn in the sea. That requires a server restart to fix.

7 out of 10 games seem to start with the prison on the salt flats on the NE of Altis.

Players who join late spawn in unconscious.

Sometimes on successful mission restart there are two backpacks on the ground, on pickup you get weird graphical issues on the player who picked it up, it flashes and the duplicate on the floor 'strobes' too!

Kind regards m8!

Mac

Edited by macwireworld

Hey Roy,

Just wanted to say your escape missions are fantastic. Ever since escape chernarus I dreamed of playing it on other maps. What you have accomplished with the maps and changes to the gamemode brings it up to date with Arma 3. If you keep adding mod support like you did with HLC and Aggressors it could be as legendary as the original Escape. I played it a couple times with some guys and had a blast. Keep up the great work :)

Hey Roy, finally getting time and energy again to play this again, wanted to make quick suggestion that you should link on the OP what files like linked to armaholic

download page that can be used with this for your latest version, so new folks alike can benefit from your updates.

RoyWheels,

Here are my thoughts about extraction and RunExtraction.sqf:

• _spawnMarkerName = "drn_Escape_ExtractionTeamSpawnPos";
    _waypoint = _group1 addWaypoint [getMarkerPos _spawnMarkerName, 0];

Am I right that drn_Escape_ExtractionTeamSpawnPos doesn't exist and heli's always extract to [0,0]?

• 40 seconds for extraction don't let feel real freedom, because you must fly some kilometers above enemy territory and even meet some AA units ;). Could you increase the extraction flight time please? Or maybe it's worth detecting current pos is in extraction marker and only then to end mission.
  • "!(canMove chopper1)", "chopper1 setDamage 1;...

why do you kill heli when it's hit with AA missile? Such missiles can't explode heli and crew should have evac possibility;

• it would be cool to have evac possibility for players too. For example some players take parachute from heli before extraction, and if heli is hit during flight they can eject and land alive. I could wright some code for it if you want, tell me if yes.
    I tested some situations on Altis and here's results:
    - heli contains many parachutes;
    - 120m is a good height for ejecting (considering Altis relief);
    - when eject from lower than 100m parachute can't be opened - you just fall with weapon in hands.

Hi, we had a problem during our Escape today. We are running an dedicated server and found a coms center mission. We get inside the house and try to get the action to use the satelite phone but there would never come any action. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Also we had like 300 kills combined.. crazy night.

Hi, we had a problem during our Escape today. We are running an dedicated server and found a coms center mission. We get inside the house and try to get the action to use the satelite phone but there would never come any action.
We had this problem often some weeks ago. The last week we can't repeat it. Very strange bug. I've already prepared console command for it
[cursorTarget, player, 9999] execVM "Scripts\Escape\Hijack.sqf"

but haven't managed to test it yet.

Edit: There was no hijack action in any comm center on map.

First of all, I gotta say great mod. It's extremely challenging and extremely fun. I especially like that it scales well for small groups because I usually only have 3 or 4 people at the most that I can play with at any given time. There really isn't a good selection of missions designed for small groups in Arma 3 right now.

I have a few issues though. I have also gotten the issue where I can't use the satellite phone in the coms center. It seems to happen the most when the building isn't on flat terrain, but I'm not absolutely sure of that. Also, Fallujah seems to be broken. The prison always spawns off the map, and there's always a Pawnee helo that spawns right above or near the prison that's just floating in mid air and doesn't do anything. This happens with both the A3MP and the AiA mods. Has anyone else gotten these issues on Fallujah?

Uh, I'm trying to play this as a LAN multiplayer with only me on one slot... Default options for 1 player. With no mods enabled and still it runs with like 10 fps. My specs in sig. Its still only playable if hosted on a monster server, right?

I'm wondering of someone with an average computer like me can play this in this kind of single player mode. (If I put it in \missions instead \mpmissions\ I probably get no parameters...)...

BTW Roy, it's safer (at least if your players start to complain about this) to disable groundfog in tort_dynamicweather.sqf, because it may result in too thick fog. "_fogEnableGroundfog = 0;". Its a pretty old script version, maybe you should implant a newer one as there were bugs. Should be OK to replace the script file, but not sure, the call parameters changed a bit.

EDIT:

0 = [_weather, _weatherTrend, [0, 0], [0, 0.25], [0, 1, 0, 0.4, 0, 1], 0, 0, 0] execVM "Scripts\tort\tort_DynamicWeather.sqf";

is reasonable.

Edited by tortuosit

Played on Namalsk. Hmm, for whatever reason the enemy AI likes me. I was able to dance around them:

2014-09-04_000025kstt.jpg

Not sure, maybe its bCombat...? Also met 2 mortar soldiers, they sat in their slots and did nothing. I was throwing bad words at them and they didn't respond.

BTW I was starting at normal 24h speed, but when I watched at the clock I realized, one minute was like 4 seconds.

Edited by tortuosit

Uh, I'm trying to play this as a LAN multiplayer with only me on one slot... Default options for 1 player. With no mods enabled and still it runs with like 10 fps. My specs in sig. Its still only playable if hosted on a monster server, right?
You should try playing on small islands. On big islands (altis, chernarus) our server (only Core i3-3240 3.4Ghz, 4GB) is enough for 3-5 players.
Also met 2 mortar soldiers, they sat in their slots and did nothing. I was throwing bad words at them and they didn't respond.
It's normal for mortars in this mission :)
BTW I was starting at normal 24h speed, but when I watched at the clock I realized, one minute was like 4 seconds.
You probably mean "1:24" value (1 day in 1 hour). Try "1:1".

Oh yeah thanks, it was all my mistakes. I played 1:24 indeed. Also, ArmA command line was alright, but in ArmA GUI ryd_incognito was turned on... the reason why they did not attack me.

EDIT: Hmm, again, they didn't attack me. From my mods, only bcombat should affect AI. Strange.

Edited by tortuosit