Sign in to follow this  
soul_assassin

Appeal to "Open Sourcing" AddonBuilder

Let me start by saying that I do understand that this is BIS' intellectual property and I only suggest this in order to try to help BIS maintain its toolset by engaging some of the community's helpful members.

With all the recent troubles with AddonBuilder a lot of community projects have screeched to a halt. And it would have been ok if there was a quick fix but these problems have been persistent for a number of months now. The idea is simple:

Why not turn some of these utility tools to open source?

Using something like GitHub for this would be perfect and BIS would retain control of what gets merged into the final production code in the end. It would give the opportunity to people who can help contribute. For free!! Again I understand that the code is the company's proprietary asset, but there is hardly anything secret in what, for example, addonbuilder does.

With all the recent troubles with AddonBuilder a lot of community projects have screeched to a halt.

pboProject is already open source, has been around longer than Addon Builder and it's cousin, binPbo, since all were derived (originally) from the same O2Script source.

projects using it have ever ground to a halt. The source is out there for anyone to hack at. Proof of the pudding is in the eating, pboProject keeps up with ALL the engines, the others do not.

Perhaps you were thinking more of a3 bis binarise as the topic.

https://dev.withsix.com/projects/mikero-pbodll/files

Edited by Mikero

The source of all tools should be published with the exception of code:

# Would allow easy ODOL - MLOD conversion (though debatable as already possible)

# Anything related to EBO

I guess though BI is using some third party code, dll, etc - that would had to be removed too.

Open sourcing means better tools, means faster progress with modding and more possibilities,

means more content, means more popular game, means more sales.

Especially binarize and visitor are still a stumbling block.

also some good soul could fix and update the .OBJ importer in the Object Builder , because current .OBJ import is outdated and useless

Since AddonBuilder is written in .NET it is very easy to decompile ^^ Just saying...