Sign in to follow this  
mistyronin

Let's talk about War-Robots!

Due to a debate with another forum user I have been reading about autonomous robots used in the battlefield.

We are now getting used to drones ( UAVs ) but, in the close future seems that UGV are gonna be the new trend ( although they first saw action in WW2, for example the teletanks used by Russia when they tried to invade Finland in the 1939 ).

Personally I find that really creepy, although it may not matter much what try to kill you, but if it's not even a human, and its manned in a safe distance, and you never know if it could turn against their own side...

Well, the point of this thread is what do you think about the possible spread of UGV in the battlegrounds? what do you know about them? Do you think are morally right?

Some informative links:

Israeli “Auto Kill Zone†Towers Locked and Loaded

Robots can stand in for Soldiers during risky missions

MAARS ( Modular Advanced Armed Robotic System ) ( that BTW were deployed in Iraq by the US during the war )

size0-army.mil-2008-08-11-170549.jpg

I dislike drones and robots on the battlefield almost purely because it lessens human risk... Some may think it's goofy but, look at what my country is doing with Drones- would the US be launching strikes constantly if it had to rely on actual manned strike aircraft instead of drones?

If we're gonna have robots in Battle... I want one of these.

0bfde4ec5f6600_full.jpg

Or one of these...

HG.jpg

Edited by lesscubes

I guess it's the natural progression in mans quest to find more efficient ways in killing, I imagine the future will definitely have some form of "Mech Units", that's if we last that long :) - i guess the question is how would you feel if there were drones flying around in your country controlled by a foreign force, I wouldn't think it would be much fun?

Edited by Katipo66

i am against such robots, cause than war look like "rich fat guy pshychopatic sadist sits safely with joystick 10000 miles away and have fun in killing in other continent without any risk of being wounded himself"

such technic lead to oppresion of 1 country over others , when we combine it with disarming civilians , it leads to tyrrany

The whole philosophy behind modern war is to cause maximum damage to the enemy while avoiding any and all casualties. Even in a truly hate-fueled, personal war like a racial or civil war, combatants would never willingly give the enemy "a fair chance" or accept some sort of sporting handicap. They would use anything and everything available to them, the only limit being what they could politically get away with.

When such robots are controlled by humans it is already bad enough i.e. see drones, but it would be fatal if such robots are on "auto-aiming" and shooting everything what moves by themselves.

When such robots are controlled by humans it is already bad enough i.e. see drones, but it would be fatal if such robots are on "auto-aiming" and shooting everything what moves by themselves.

It seems that in Israel they are already working in that sense ( check the link above ).

what do you think about the possible spread of UGV in the battlegrounds?

I think, it's inevitable. Same for experiments with expanding autonomy, despite risk. As said, the only, final rule of war, its only logic is effectiveness of neutralizing the opposing force and that factor will decide if using robots on the battlefields is right thing.

what do you know about them?

Not much, only common knowledge from internet. Interesting may be observing progress on these matters. Countermeasures (jamming, hacking, robots vs robots, who knows, what else...), miniaturization, side effects and consequences...

Do you think are morally right?

Usage of such equipment in the war is no less nor more moral than given war itself. Not moral by itself may be however knowingly/reckless creating and using (releasing?) autonomous machines out of human control, dangerous not only for enemy forces, same, as it is for using ABC weaponry etc.

worst case is that some government corrupted f* can use it against own nation, for example corrupted gov. can hire 1000 psychopathic operators, who sit by joystick and control population of 10 000 000 without any risk of harm, all is done by UGVs

the best is when you can hit enemy the same as he can hit you - cause in war/civil war, you never know on which side you can be

one day you can be against robot, which protect corrupted politician who wants to tax you 99% tax,

governments should not have too much tools, than they want to tax more and control more,

compare Poland (one of most disarmed country in the world) with USA, taxes few times bigger, corruption few times bigger, policians say one thing before election, than they do not make it, one lawyer sued last time politician who promissed something and court dismissed case saying that polician can lie before election and all is okay, etc. et. etc.

such robots first would be used by army against other country , next they will be used by your own government, when government have such robots , they will cease free elections and good bye to democracy, back to feudalism