Sign in to follow this  
Zeppelin33

Unit changing factions

I was wondering, To what faction does a unit change to, when he kills friendlies and does he, indeed change faction?

Sometimes you would have difficulty getting into vehicles with a person thats killed friendlies or civvies.

Also, if they actually do change faction, is there a way to stop this from happening, to avoid vehicle seating issues?

I was wondering, To what faction does a unit change to, when he kills friendlies and does he, indeed change faction?

Sometimes you would have difficulty getting into vehicles with a person thats killed friendlies or civvies.

Also, if they actually do change faction, is there a way to stop this from happening, to avoid vehicle seating issues?

Units don't change factions as such. What happens is when a unit kills a friendly, all his other friends

log onto their facebook account, go to that person's profile, hover over the Friends button at the top of their profile and select Unfriend.

This has the effect in game of making all other units consider the original unit a non-friendly and they will shoot at him on sight. No factions change hands.

See this setFriend

(By the way, I was joking about facebook friends)

Basically, their rating goes negative causing everybody to see the unit as enemy. You can force that by using negative values with addRating (not sure about the exact numbers) and prevent it with adding killed eventhandlers to units or vehicles of your own side, particularly increasing the killer's rating so he won't get attacked when killing friendlies.

A unit can never change faction. It's important to understand this.

I have a related question though. If a BLUFOR player kills friendlies and gets a negative rating, does OPFOR see him as friendly?

AFAIK everybody sees them as hostile when they have a large negative rating. I think "the enemy of my enemy..." doesn't apply in Arma. :D

AFAIK everybody sees them as hostile when they have a large negative rating. I think "the enemy of my enemy..." doesn't apply in Arma. :D

Yes, that's what I thought. So technically, a TKer doesn't actually change sides.

---------- Post added at 09:41 ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 ----------

Yes, that's what I thought. So technically, a TKer doesn't actually change sides.

A unit can't change faction, but can change groups, which will define his behaviour. Oyu can place a blufor unit to an opfor group, they will friend each other in facebook quite well.

Lol facebook unfriend.

Afaik setCaptive and dying changes you to Civilian. But if they dont change faction, maby just have a script that addRating in the event of civ kills mite work. https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/addRating

but theres no script that will help for farmville invites XD.

Edited by Zeppelin33

sideEnemy. Units can't change faction, but they can change side. sideEnemy is hostile to everyone and Civilian is friendly to everyone

ive been working on a mission where my bluefor units are spying on opfor units and i have tried the setFriend code but once i trigger the setfriend code to make the opfor guys enemies to blufor the opfor units dont shoot my bluefor guys... anyone have any solutions? i cant find anything anywhere

On the wiki page for setFriend command it notes this at the bottom, as well as says that changing the value of the command during the mission can cause errors in AI behaviour because the command is intended for mission init:

Be aware that this command only sets the friendliness of one side. If you want to have both sides attacking each other, you have to set both:

Resistance setFriend [East, 0];

East setFriend [Resistance, 0];

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setFriend

I would recommend using another way of doing this, some of which can be found in the posts above (addRating, sideEnemy/Friendly, etc.).