Sign in to follow this  
alleycat

Favorite conflict setting poll

What is your favorite setting for a conflict in a mod?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite setting for a conflict in a mod?

• Vietnam War (mid-1960s - 1975) USA vs North Vietnam
    • 6 Days War (1967) Israel vs Various Arab States
    • 1st Gulf War (1980s) Iran vs Iraq
    • 2nd Gulf War (1991) USA vs Iraq
    • 3nd Gulf War (2003) USA vs Iraq
    • Soviet War in Afghanistan (1980s) SU vs Afghanistan
    • Korean War (1950s)
    • 2nd World War
    • Modern Day generic conflict - Israel vs Palestine
    • Modern day generic conflict - Mid eastern insurgents vs USA

I have created the poll to gauge interest in the arma3 playerbase in various conflict settings In order to see where to direct my modding efforts to.

Please note:

1. Whatever I plan to mod, it is not going to be for the makearma contest, because that would not fit in the time.

2. The conflict setting and involved parties is solely supposed to define the weaponry available, nothing more, there is not going to be any political opinion involved.

3. Do not expect a large mod coming out of this, if anything will be created at all. Think, small arms + uniforms, and very perhapsly a new terrain but no vehicles whatsoever.

Edited by alleycat

Well, I cannot vote because the Cold War isn't in your list.

XIXth century or WW1, not in the list either.

Edited by ProfTournesol

i would have voted WW1 but its not there so im going to go vietnam

Far in the future pls.

Falklands is good too though. I also want, in particular, a WWII mod finally set in glorious North Africa. Panzer IIIs fighting Crusaders in the open desert, the Desert Rats of Tobruk repelling the Germans, Italian Mc. 202 Folgores taking to the skies against Hurricanes... I think North Africa isn't shown nearly as much as it should be compared to the Pacific, Ostfront, and Western front. Especially that last one.

Actually, I forgot Kosovo. I wanna play KFOR.

Edited by Kilroy the Nerd
glorious KFOR

I voted Vietnam because a good jungle setting with rivers would be great. Would also love to see The Falklands or Belfast and a large partly destroyed European city map - Siege of Sarajevo would be my pick.

Yeah a Sarajevo map would be perfect alongside some high quality units and such.

I think a small scale balkan units and a Sarajevo map would be my vote, but no option for that stuff.

Also cold war is a good idea, no one is doing cold war.

Don't waste your time on a vietnam mod, Unsung team will/is working on that and they already have 30000000 assets and no need to split up the vietnam mod scene really.

Do something Balkan or European cold war and make it high quality, doesn't have to be a ton of stuff.

A sarajevo destoryed city map or something with Serbian millitary guys and milita, Bosnian milita and some UN peacekeepers with AKs and like a FAMAS or something sounds good.

Favorite is one thing, but what's favorite, is already well known and, how to say it, exploited. Hard to choose only one BTW. So I think for me most interesting and wanted are those less known, forgotten conflicts. I would say "fresh", but it sounds bad in this context.

Let's say some African wars involving mercs, but that already partially covered. Still we can reach deeper into history. Let's say Congo Crisis as only one example. If must be European, then like above - something like Balkan War or IRA vs UK...

Edited by Rydygier

I think a cold war escalation scenario is still fantastic.

Yup! Putin thinks the same :p

I think a cold war escalation scenario is still fantastic.

Ditto, and it's for that very reason I love Operation Flashpoint: CWC/Res, World in Conflict and the Wargame-series. I prefer the 80s/early 90s due to the variety of equipment available at the time (good old refined mechanical systems vs. new age electronic systems); a rich Cold War history; a whole lot of "what if's" situations; and large changes in geopolitics, society, and economy due to - but not exclusively - the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Though anything in between the 60s till 90s is interesting to me. Not so much the Vietnam-conflict though, games have visited this way too much already.

something like Balkan War or IRA vs UK...

agreed. i think the list dies out to fast after ww2. there's always shit hitting the fan somewhere. although i personally don't need a real real conflict. i mean arma 2 showed that some semi made up thing can get scary close to reality real fast.

Well, I cannot vote because the Cold War isn't in your list.

Well the cold war is present on at least 3 picks of that list.

I voted Vietnam because a good jungle setting with rivers would be great. Would also love to see The Falklands or Belfast and a large partly destroyed European city map - Siege of Sarajevo would be my pick.
Yeah a Sarajevo map would be perfect alongside some high quality units and such.

I think a small scale balkan units and a Sarajevo map would be my vote, but no option for that stuff.

Also cold war is a good idea, no one is doing cold war.

Don't waste your time on a vietnam mod, Unsung team will/is working on that and they already have 30000000 assets and no need to split up the vietnam mod scene really.

Do something Balkan or European cold war and make it high quality, doesn't have to be a ton of stuff.

A sarajevo destoryed city map or something with Serbian millitary guys and milita, Bosnian milita and some UN peacekeepers with AKs and like a FAMAS or something sounds good.

About the balkans I dont think it would be a good setting for weapon variety as most parties would use the same guns anyway.

About vietnam, I personally do not care if someone else is doing the same thing.

Favorite is one thing, but what's favorite, is already well known and, how to say it, exploited. Hard to choose only one BTW. So I think for me most interesting and wanted are those less known, forgotten conflicts. I would say "fresh", but it sounds bad in this context.

Let's say some African wars involving mercs, but that already partially covered. Still we can reach deeper into history. Let's say Congo Crisis as only one example. If must be European, then like above - something like Balkan War or IRA vs UK...

Can someone elaborate on the weapons used in african civil wars, the falklands and the Ireland conflicts? Perhaps there is an interesting setting somewhere. I dont know much about these.

Can someone elaborate on the weapons used in african civil wars, the falklands and the Ireland conflicts? Perhaps there is an interesting setting somewhere. I dont know much about these.

For all 3 mainly weapons like the FN-FAL (congo)/SLR (Falklands). Not overly sure on others in the Congo Crisis other than weapons used by the Irish Army contingent.

For Ireland I know a bit more, the British mainly used their SLR until the adaption of the L85. Along with the odd GPMG and marksman rifles.

The IRA used a variety of small arms, From the AK-47, AR-15, captured GPMG and SLR some heavier weapons the DShk and RPG-2/7. As well as improvised mortars known as 'barrack busters' and a PIAT style improvised explosive launcher.

The Irish Defence Forces used the FN-FAL until the adaption of the AUG, FN-MAG, Gustav SMG and launcher.

No idea about African civil wars, no doubt knock off AKs and the likes.

Falklands

British Regular forces were basically the SLR (A derivative of the FN FAL) and the L7 GMPG (A Derivative of the FN MAG). Can't remember the designation but the 105mm Light Gun was used extensively to provide artillery support. British Special forces swapped the SLR for M16s, the SLR being a monster of a rifle, but kept the GPMGs and also used Browning pistols.

Argentine forces were equipped similarly with FN FALs (which included a full-auto capability) and FN MAGs, a lot of Argentine ammo was picked up by British forces and used when positions were overrun during the big battles. The "Argies" also had some 155mm artillery but I'm not sure what type.

Ireland

During the Troubles the British were equipped in pretty much the same way, SLRs and GPMGs. The Armalite was extremely popular with the IRA, supplies from Libya brought AKs, RPGs and FN MAGs off Libya, I believe M60s made an appearance at some point, a few M82 .50 cal sniper rifles made an appearance and were used in a sniping campaign, HMGs such as the Dshk. Early on in the campaign they used ex WWII weapons, M1 Garands, Lee Enfields, Bren Guns etc. A massive f*ck ton of IEDs were also a key weapon as well as heavy mortars (which once managed to bring down a helicopter).

EDIT: Damn, was beaten to it.

Why have you left a 'Cold War Gone Hot' setting out of it, ala OFP? The tech in the 1980s for me strikes a perfect balance between modernity and a reliance on the abilities of personnel. It's also a setting that is nowhere near as saturated as WWII or modern day in games so still has the potential to be pushed far.

Can someone elaborate on the weapons used in african civil wars

At first I found this illustrated article about some planes involved in Congo Crisis and something for modelers about tanks. There is also series of books on this topic:

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/store/Modern-African-Wars-(1)_9780850457285

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/store/Modern-African-Wars-(2)_9780850458435

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/store/Modern-African-Wars-(3)_9781855321229

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/store/Modern-African-Wars-(4)_9781782000761

Covers itself show something. More is shown on the Google Books:

https://www.google.pl/search?tbm=bks&hl=en&q=modern+african+wars&gws_rd=ssl

and here is given link to the full pdf download of first part: Osprey is offering a free download of their book Modern African Wars (1). IMO this one may be very helpful.

In general, may be assumed seriously obsolete weaponry of poor shape, even some WWII stuff. And of course immortal AK-47.

EDIT: More, various periods and African countries, most from here (there are listed countries using each rifle under "operators"):

Edited by Rydygier

Let's continue research on the militaryfactory.com... Vehicles are not planned, but maybe someone else will find this searching for reference...

OK. That's enough for me. On the same page may be found also other small arms, choppers, planes and so forth.

Edited by Rydygier

Balkans, Cold War, or some conspiracy stories :)

Kozlowski was the shooter on the grassy knoll?

John F. Kennedy doesn't start with G, you meathead!