sgt_savage

The Unsung Vietnam War Mod v2.6 Released !!!

yeah bugs we know about as we play the mod weekly and in the coming months this will be in full servers in our new clan.

there's nothing we can do about the islands or the foliage, or most of the units and objects.

vehicles and weapons we can fix, mostly.

for the fabled 2.7 we had fixed a lot of stuff, but the project died due to fatigue in the team.

so the repo has a lot of changed stuff in it and even some new kit from pook and me and von knudenberg that never made it into the public eye, as well as showmakers new islands, but he's released them separately anyway.

however if you're wrestling with a feature and unsure how it should work, by all means ask questions.

often bugs are just misunderstandings of features!

we do want to get cracking with A3 porting but it needs a solid plan and system to manage the process, we're talking about it in the coming weeks

I get a game breaking bug with the newest version. If I use the radio to call in support using the support module then right when the aircraft spawns my screen goes black. i can move around and hear gunfire still, the game is still running, but my screen is black forever and i have to restart the mission to be able to see again. what causes this? how can i fix it?

Hi Folks,

When I travel my laptop is not capable of running Arma 3 but does fairly well with Arma 2 - plus - I never used Unsung 2.6 so there is plenty of content to explore that's all new to me... So - maybe I'm the last one over here still dabbling with Arma 2...

Question - I've been setting up a little sandbox mission protecting a firebase on top of a hill in the La Drang Valley... I'd like to have the player control a small mortar battery and helicopter located on the base... I've tried adding the vanilla artillery support module and syncing to the mortar - however - it never fires when the enemy attacks and it's not listed in a radio options... How would I get it to fire or the helicopter to launch to help defend the base ?

I've found the UNS Support Module - but that appears to use only 3 different aircraft and virtual artillery - it does work but not exactly what I'm looking for... Also - it seems "transport" helicopters are never available and the Skyraider never seems to make a successful napalm run on a lightly armed VC squad... The two jets seem a bit better...

Any tips would be greatly appreciated...

PS - I've seen posts in two Unsung 2.6 threads referring to use the other - catch 22 - I hope this is the right one...

Regards,

Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

you are trying for things that are not completely working, so they probably will fail like you describe.

Thanks for the response Egg - I thought it was just me being relatively new at this stuff and unsure how everything works... Appreciate the help...

Regards,

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Folks,

Sorry - one more question - I had to rebuild my machine - loaded Arma 2 and Arma 2 OA... Installed UNS 2.6 and using the Arma Synch Launcher... UNS 2.6 is installed in the Arma 2 OA directory and I have CBA_CO installed there as well...

If I select the OA executable - with both CBA_CO and UNS 2.6 enabled I get a missing water texture on startup - then the initial animations on other menu screens with the chickens just runs very sporadically - as well as all the other menu screens until I actually get a map open in the editor - the editor seems to work normally - however once I preview a mission on say SEA - a bunch of textures are missing such as some of the buildings and fences around the main base on the SW of the island...

In the Arma Sync Launcher if I choose the executable labeled CO the animations are smooth but the textures are still missing...

What's frustrating is I know this worked before - anything obvious I'm missing ?

Thanks...

Regards,

Scott

Hi Folks,

Figured it out - for some  reason I had to manually copy the "addons" directory from Arma II to Arma II OA - that fixed it...

Regards,
Scott

HI Folks,

If someone has a moment to answer a question - it seems A2 never included a load out manager in vanilla - after searching around it appears that "LEA Loadout Editor" is the most commonly used one... After playing around with it - it seems to need a static database to be aware of what equipment is available for each mod - it doesn't look at Arma for real time lookups... Unfortunately Unsung doesn't seem to be included with the app... Again - from poking around - it looks like you have two options for adding a mods contents into the editor.. One is it looks at the PBO and somehow extracts the data - haven't been able to get that to work... The other seems to be the ability to import a file that someone else may have made...

Would anyone have the file so that Unsung content can be equipped via LEA ?

Do you guys use this editor or are there alternatives ?

Do you just equip via init fields ?

Thanks...

Regards,

Scott

putting potential solutions aside, what exactly are you trying to achieve?

Hi Egg,

As always - thanks for your response...

Ideally - I'm just trying to figure out the easiest way to modify troop load outs with available equipment in Arma 2... The only reason I have Arma 2 loaded is to take advantage of Unsung - so I'm trying to find the best way to easily equip Unsung content without having to resort to working off your spreadsheet to modify init fields by typing individual add/remove commands... If there is a better way - I'm all ears... It seemed like LEA was a good alternative if I could get it to read Unsung content...

Regards,

Scott

modify troop load outs with available equipment

I'm trying to find the best way to easily equip Unsung content

please elaborate a bit more.

e.g

do you mean to change magazines and weapons carried by AI in a mp mission?

or change backpacks on the AI?

or provide PLAYERS with ammo crates contents?

or change vehicle cargo contents?

etc etc

what is the purpose - ca nyou give a good example of one unit you are trying to change, what to, and why

this will help us answer your question

Hi Egg,

Yeah - probably the same things I would use the new load out editor for in Arma 3...

All I've done - so far - is SP related...

Both player and AI related...

All the things you mentioned sound great...

I downloaded the RH Pistol package - so I wanted to swap out the .45's to see how they compare...

If I'm going on night ops - might want to be sure and add flare guns to the team...

If I'm going to be defending a position - add some Claymores to the mix...

Scroll through the available content and maybe notice something I want to try...

Add ACE supplies to the team...

Etc etc etc...

Regards,

Scott

ah ok well i would create a custom ammo crate for that stuff for players, and run a script on spawning AI that added what i wanted.

i have no idea how the a3 loadout editor works, and it was not really a feature of a2 so... good luck!

Hi Egg,

Ok - thanks for your time... Then my next step is figuring out how to tell AI what supplies they need to fetch from the box...

As for A3 you should try it - just right click on any unit in Eden - I forget the exact name (little pistol icon about 2/3 way down menu?) but it brings the unit into that virtual arsenal screen - you can swap load outs at will - then just save your changes... It's pretty slick and I don't know how A2 got by without it...

Again - appreciate your help on this old stuff... I truly hope somewhere in your team's plans is a port of the SEA map as I just can't seem to get enough of it...

Regards,

Scott

yeah we love that map too - it will hopefully get debinned as we cant get the original map

Any future plans for others maps?

Sorry for digging up old thread. I wonder if there's an option of setting manually emblems and insignias on Hueys and M113s? For example placing 'Navy'/'Marines' instead of 'United States army', setting emblem of detachment etc.

i think it's all described in the arma 2 unsung manual which should be included with the mod download

Unfortunately there's no manual in 2.6 archive that is hosted at Armaholic. Maybe there were some in the earlier versions of mod downloads, but they are not available.