sgt_savage

The Unsung Vietnam War Mod v2.6 Released !!!

Saved, we know about most all of these. However there isn't much we can do for some of those at this time since many are due to the fact that these models are straight ports from previous versions where the pathfinding, etc. I fixed the bamboo problem of "white flashes" of the distance lods, and introduced the "fall into the sky" bug by doing so! So those are things we'll just live with for now for fear of introducing additional unforeseen issues. Some things are in fact being fixed but we don't have a public changelog, just internal as some new content is coming as well (e.g. 2.7 = fixes + new DLC)

Oh those boats you mention are already present... I know because I added them :)

DLC? Has it been revealed what's it going to be or is it a surprise?

I can neither confirm nor deny anything that may or may not be included in 2.7 :D

Hey there, at the moment something has me quite stumped. A mission that I have created will not run saying I cannot run/edit this mission due to deleted content "uns_traps"... Where I am confused is, this said file is not a required addon in my my mission.sqm... And even so, "uns_traps.pbo" is definitely present in my @UNS mod folder. So I'm not sure why its saying I don't have it, or why I even need it since I haven't placed any traps on the map. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Oh those boats you mention are already present... I know because I added them
We all have brain farts from time to time. Forgive mine please

Are you guys going to release any information pertaining to the use of scripts? Fore example: How to place the canvas top up on the jeep in the init? How to use the spotlights on the front of the tanks? How to close the doors and hatches on the APC's in the init? How to pop smoke, drop grenades, switch sigs/number decals, add bayonets to rifles, manually trigger the traps and pretty much execute all the scripts that you guys utilize in the mod? This information would be helpful for SP mission makers who also invest time into cinema.

I also did not see a list of animations in that class name file. Any plans to release that info?

jeep animations

Raise Windshield
raisew = this animate ['windshield',0];

Lower WindShield
lowerw = this animate ['windshield',1];

Attach Sunroof
roof = this animate ['sunroof',0];

Detach Sunroof
roof2 = this animate ['sunroof',1];

Hide Spare tire
tire = this animate ["spare", 1];

Hide FuelCan
fcan = this animate ['fuelcan',1];

Tank spotlights -

press L

APC hatches

OpenRear 
openh = this say 'backopen';[this] execVM '\uns_M113\scripts\rearhatch_open.sqf';

CloseRear 
closeh= this say 'backclose';this animate ['hatch_rear',0]; this animate ['hatch_rear_handle',0]; 

OpenTop 
opent = this say 'topopen';this animate ['hatch_top',1];

CloseTop 
closet = this say 'topclose';this animate ['hatch_top',0];

pop smoke, drop grenades

press F to pop smoke, press G to drop grenades (above 15m), press N to pop flares (after sunset)

switch sigs/number decals

this you would need to be specific on as there's a lot to cover, or else hunt through the relevant file for the script

add bayonets to rifles:

take a rifle that has a bayonet counterpart, if you are unsure, take one from the crate which has a bayonet already and take the bayonet off and on

add the special items module

check your user actions have attach/remove bayonet

same for silencers

claymores - add module, take clacker, activate clacker within 100m of claymore

animations classnames - not sure what you mean here - anything specific?

---------- Post added at 08:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 AM ----------

A mission that I have created will not run saying I cannot run/edit this mission due to deleted content "uns_traps"... this file is not a required addon in my mission.sqm

ok uns_traps is required by some of the soldier units/ammo crates as they carry/contain traps - i figured us adding the requirement to the units pbo would mean this was added in your mission automatically but i guess not - we had not found an issue as all our missions we tested have traps in them...

try adding a single trap to your mission, which will then add the addon to your loaded addons list in the mission.sqm - please feed back if this works

yes players can use it, but not AI, that would take a rewrite of their logic.

here we are using the knife in same way

Edited by eggbeast

Hey there, at the moment something has me quite stumped. A mission that I have created will not run saying I cannot run/edit this mission due to deleted content "uns_traps"... Where I am confused is, this said file is not a required addon in my my mission.sqm... And even so, "uns_traps.pbo" is definitely present in my @UNS mod folder. So I'm not sure why its saying I don't have it, or why I even need it since I haven't placed any traps on the map. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

+1 This

I will post feedback after trying what Egg said.

EDIT: Thank you, adding a single trap seems to have worked.

Edited by Crierd711

Thanks for that info eggbeast.

Regarding the tank light, smoke/flare pops and so on, I was speaking of how you would control this stuff through your scripts without a player being in the vehicle(For cinema).

Rearding the animations, do you guys have a list of custom animations that you used for various things in the mod? (Any movement anims that are exclusive to Unsung?)

But as you say, I know it's in the files, just curious if you guys had a list already to make it easier on those who would rather build with the content instead of expending hours hunting through it.

no list, and not a huge amount of custom anims

user actions are what they are - user actions, for players i'm afraid.

but lights can be activated buy AI - just put them into a tank at night

actions should be scriptable. I know you can animate an action on a vehicle via scripting. Should be doable since those are actions. Haven't tested this but I'll guess something like this or similar:

jeep1 action ["popSmoke",jeep1];

Egg I'm not near my work box... can you validate "popSmoke" is the action name in the config?

Edit to add - we'll put this in the 2.7 readme information for sure. Sorry we missed those!

i guess it depends if we set onlyforplayer =1; right?

but thats awesome news - i never realised you could do that

Does anyone still play this online? The xtra evolution servers are empty most of the time.

you need to go in there and play, and others will follow. some of us are having a rest after 12 months of playing it lol

but if we see a game happening we may pop in for a chat and a game

when arma 3 is stable, but until then, enjoy it in A2!

Is there any way to extract the audio files from the radio station mod files? Would be nice to listen to the music and the army announcements when I'm in the shower. :D

Also, I've noticed a tonne of people trying to join the Battlegroup-Xtra servers and getting disconnected. Maybe it's because they don't know that they need ACR/ACR Lite? It isn't mentioned in the required mod list when you're in the server search screen. Maybe some sort of notification message would help?

This isn't that much of an issue, but if you're still tinkering with the Xtra Evolution maps, would it be possible to add the option of listening to radio stations from within helis, or maybe just a couple of tracks ? As far as I know, the only chopper which has that option is the Air Cav huey, but you need to spend a fair bit of time killing enough Victor Charlie to get to a score of 200 to be able to fly to it. It'd really add an extra layer of 'Nam atmosphere to an already awesome mod.

hiya, glad you're enjoying it.

not sure how to extract wss files, and probably not a good idea, as sav made them for the game only.

regarding ACR lite, its a BIS MP compatibility patch, so people really should get it.

it's listed as required in the mod page on armaholic, in the release page on BIS forum, in the readme, on PWS homepage, and on my mission homepage on our website, on BIS forum and on armaholic. It's also listed as required in the server name for every server we host. what more can we do eh? many server hosts i know feel that BIS did a very bad job of promoting and explaining ACR lite to the user base, but hey ho.

i think they have problems because they try to connect using PWS, and maybe PWS doesn't handle ACR lite properly? not sure. we are looking into adding a PWS repo for our other servers, so will see if we can get to the bottom of the issue with ACR lite and PWS.

I added the war music to the huey as an experiment, and so didn't roll it out to other choppers, as i wanted to see if other server hosts complained about public guys spamming them with it.

with it only on the air cav variants, this means a mission hoster can take them out or rank them out of play if they dislike them being spammed. the rank requirement means you can control the idiots abusing your ears. just play with our team for one night and you'll have 200 points from all the objective captures.

Hello! Is there anyone that has an MSO for one of the maps?

Hey, it's me again. For the people having trouble connecting maybe this helps. This is what I have on my Arma 2 OA launcher to play on the Battlegroup servers:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\ArmA2OA.exe" -mod=ACR;@CBA_CO;@UNS; -nosplash -world=empty

I own the ACR DLC but I had problems joining, so notice that the ACR folder is in the mod line, that means I have to launch it manually, and it was installed by default without the "@".

With this I can join the servers without problems, well sometimes the game crashes when playing, probably because of the 2047MB memory limitation that Arma 2 has.

By the way, my clan and I found an issue with HE Grenades. They are too powerful, and playing with ACE it is quite a big problem. If we use the grenades at max distance, even if we prone we get injuried(and standing still we can get either killed or heavily injuried). The only safe way to use a grenade is to throw it when behind a cover. So, is there a way to solve this or do you have plans on fixing that for the next versions?

Thanks

Edited by DavidS1

By the way, my clan and I found an issue with HE Grenades. They are too powerful, and playing with ACE it is quite a big problem. If we use the grenades at max distance, even if we prone we get injuried(and standing still we can get either killed or heavily injuried). The only safe way to use a grenade is to throw it when behind a cover. So, is there a way to solve this or do you have plans on fixing that for the next versions?

All the grenades were developed w/o ACE. Enjoy it w/o ACE and you'll see the difference. That's how we normally play anyway.

This:

The only safe way to use a grenade is to throw it when behind a cover.

That's what you should be doing anyway. Remember the old adage - "Once you pull the pin, Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend!" :)

The only safe way to use a grenade is to throw it when behind a cover.

lol i was gonna say the same as pook.

if you read the label carefully on each grenade you will see they have a kill radius described.

e.g.

US nades (type, blast radius)

Mk40 (2) < M14 (2.4) < V40 (5) < Mk3A2 (5) < M308 (10) < M61 (12) < M67 (15) < M34 (20)

soviet/chicom nades (type, blast radius)

RKG3 (2.5) < Type 67 (10) < RG42 (10) < RGD33 (15) < RGD5 (25) < F1 (30)

also explosive power is different for each one, so don't just go on the blast radius above - the lethality is a combination of both.

Before you pull that pin.... Read the manual!

Incidentally if you are crashing, turn your view distance down a bit - that can be an issue on certain islands like phu bai or ia drang valley.

otherwise, here is my startup line and par file

make a file like this:

D:\@modfiles\uns.txt

containing

-mod=D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 2;expansion;D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead\ACR;@CBA_CO;@UNS

in steam:

-window -worldempty -nosplash -nologs -par=D:\@modfiles\uns.txt +connect 81.19.208.60:2300

modify as you see fit for your game paths, BUT

-nologs is vital to reduce lag

- the forced loading of A2 and ACR (if you own it) is vital to avoid crashing often

Edited by eggbeast

One suggestion for future work: please consider to allow mission makers to enable or disable the scripts which are auto executed by the vehicles inits. You can create a single module with several fields on it that editor can place in mission to activate all the desired features in one click, but please leave active by default only the mandatory ones for the mod to work.

We currently play Unsung via All in Arma in our server (as we moved to Arma3 only) using our custom Arma3 NAM units (not released yet) and this is really a problem for Arma3 compatibility although the idea was good for Arma2. Worse case are sctipts such as the hot lz one included in the hueys. It spawns Arma2 units which are replaced by modern era ones by AiA... We had to disable that on our own directly to get rid of this side effect.

If you need help with scripting just let me know. Probably I can take a look on it when you have doubts

Edited by geloxo