disco.modder

United States Navy mod

First of all Id like to say that this is a brainstorm Ive had over the past few weeks that Ive decided to put towards the community. Its a project proposal basically.

We've been very fortunate to get given lots of US Military assets - we have the Air Force mod, multiple different Army & Marine mods and lots & lots of small addons depicting vehicle systems, firearms, uniforms, etc. However out of the 5 main service branches of the US Armed Forces there is 1 very important branch that's yet to be presented as a whole mod package - the US Navy.

[logo incoming]

Over the course of some time, this mod (inspired by the USAF mod) will add Navy assets both current and future. Ive considered also doing Coast Goard and that maybe done at a later time. As I've figured, the best way of tackling the issue of adding in multiple large warship vessels into Arma is to contact already experienced mod makers in the community who've released or are working on releasing US Navy vessels if they want to participate in the development of this mod by contributing their creation basically creating an all-in-one Navy pack to be everyone's go to mod for US Navy assets.

By no means am I capable of doing this mod by myself - Ive read a lot about how the Arma engine doesnt like very large objects (ships) and how its troublesome to get units to walk on moving objects, thus the idea of combining the brain power and knowledge of experienced modders make something great together.

WIP Features list:

- Navy flagship: Nimitz-class Carrier

- OHP-class Frigate: A2 Gnat's

- Arleigh Burke- class Destroyer

- Wasp-class LHD: Chortles port

- LA-class Submarine: A2 Gnat's

- Naval Special Warfare Command operators (SEALs, Assault boats, SDV, etc)

- MH-60S: A2 port

- Seahawks: A2 YuraPetrov's

- F-35C: USAF mod's

- E2C Hawkeye: A2 OFrP

!notice that nothing in the above lists is set, rather its something like how I envision the mod would look like. There will be lots of PMs being sent out to the respective addon makers about their willingness in participating. No permission = no inclusion into the mod until an alternative can be sourced.

If anyone out there is interested in participating with the project and have something of any size (big or small) related to the Navy that they'd like to contribute please dont be afraid to leave a comment below or shoot me a PM! Meanwhile Id appreciate any comments/suggestions/concerns/recommendations from the community as to what you think about this project.

Thanks!

I'm almost done with my c-2a greyhound model, was also planning on making a hawkeye since they share a lot of design. Ill shoot you a pm later with pics and info to see of you're interested in including them.

If you search under the Arma 3 Nimitz mod thread, someone mentions in there that the larger objects (walking on them etc) aren't necessarily a problem, just need to be made in the right way.

I'm not a mod maker at all (can barely retexture...lol) but would think the place to start would be some of the ship mods from Arma 2 which were successfully released.

Good luck!

the lpd which was released for arma 2 works in A3 it still suffers from the 0 or 180 degree placement requirements but it works you can land helos or vtols on it drive ampibious apcs on and off walk around on it

I would love to see this happen I am a huge fan of the Navy and plan on joining it after college. Though I dont know if the current ArmA engine could support fully functional Navy ships. I hope it is possible if not now at some point though.

I'm almost done with my c-2a greyhound model, was also planning on making a hawkeye since they share a lot of design. Ill shoot you a pm later with pics and info to see of you're interested in including them.

Would love to see you contribute them to the project! ;)

If you search under the Arma 3 Nimitz mod thread, someone mentions in there that the larger objects (walking on them etc) aren't necessarily a problem, just need to be made in the right way.

I'm not a mod maker at all (can barely retexture...lol) but would think the place to start would be some of the ship mods from Arma 2 which were successfully released.

Good luck!

I think its hit and miss with man class walking on moving objects - as far as I know vehicle and static objects are fine with it.

you must know about the http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=293320558 really like your idea

Yep - its an impressive ship, however the Anzac class of ships is not in service with the US Navy neither are there any similar or alternative class's resembling it. IIRC the original design of Anzac class is that of a European design.

the lpd which was released for arma 2 works in A3 it still suffers from the 0 or 180 degree placement requirements but it works you can land helos or vtols on it drive ampibious apcs on and off walk around on it

Oh yes, that would be great to include into the pack if the author comply's (dont like the chances tho since its made by and part of a big realism unit)

so your plan is to put all the different mods in on pack ?

Basically, yes.

Dont you reckon it would be more convenient to download 1 pack to fulfill your American Sea power needs than downloading 10+ different mods? (same like the USAF mod)

Also note that I plan to not only include ships and aircraft but also units and maybe land vehicles.

I would love to see this happen I am a huge fan of the Navy and plan on joining it after college. Though I dont know if the current ArmA engine could support fully functional Navy ships. I hope it is possible if not now at some point though.

So would I, thus this proposition. However I have little to no clue in porting vehicles over from A2 let alone building my own ship in Oxygen and making it function somehow (even if its just a static object) ingame thus the full cooperation between experienced ship modders in the community would be needed for this mod to even take off the ground. Plus my passion with modding Arma vary's a lot everytime - one day I really love to mod and do something useful the another day Im just super lazy.

Thanks guys!

Edited by Modder

Quote Originally Posted by Biohazard3420 View Post

Oh yes, that would be great to include into the pack if the author comply's (dont like the chances tho since its made by and part of a big realism unit)

perhaps burnes15th is producing newer lpd and lcu as well as a lcac mod perhaps you could cordinate with him heres a link to his mod thread http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?180092-Burnes-Armories-M1A2-and-M1A1-AIM-Abrams-Tanks

I think its hit and miss with man class walking on moving objects - as far as I know vehicle and static objects are fine with it.

Completely incorrect, if my memory serves. Static objects... I'd imagine they'd have to be attachTo'd the ship, but that's something I'm not sure of. Man class has no interaction at all, and can only walk on a ship if it's static or if the ship is not moving at all. It's the same with vehicles, and with fixed wing aircraft. The only class that can actually sit on a moving ship without being attachTo'd is the helicopter class.

So would I, thus this proposition. However I have little to no clue in porting vehicles over from A2 let alone building my own ship in Oxygen and making it function somehow (even if its just a static object) ingame thus the full cooperation between experienced ship modders in the community would be needed for this mod to even take off the ground. Plus my passion with modding Arma vary's a lot everytime - one day I really love to mod and do something useful the another day Im just super lazy.

To be quite honest, this won't work. You want a US Navy mod, you've got a WIP features list that's just stuff other people have done, you can't do the work needed for such an idea, and all of this adds up to this being a slightly dressed up Addon Request.

Modder

I hate to say it but I have my own plans for the F35C as well. Me and my team have already discussed potentially doing our own U.S. navy mod. I apologize

Modder

I hate to say it but I have my own plans for the F35C as well. Me and my team have already discussed potentially doing our own U.S. navy mod. I apologize

In that case Im all up for you guys to start the project instead. Not only do you have experience releasing mods but also a packed team with great modders. Go ahead with it mate!

The USAF team have done an awesome job with the Air Force.

If they also work in a US Navy that can be the apotheosis! Adding to that whenever the RHS have their Rus & US mod... Arma 3 will reach the top :)

I welcome all willing mod collaboration ( if I could be better modding I'll offer my skills to, meanwhile I'll keep myself in the mission edition world ) :D

About the Seahawk, I've just started working on one. I haven't gotten very far, but it's on it's way.

Picture:

6k-pkaAuFVK3EM2Cu01dB7-6aXFIoDSNDdghUPY7FvIDVw3DaweveL6NyatewNQUvJTkCDRiDb4=w1896-h845

not trying to revive a dead topic. but would it be possible to port these all onto the steam workshop? I know these ships are mostly static, however for ambience reasons and such they would be more immersive for the Marine MEU realism groups out there. Thanks.

4 hours ago, First Sea Lord Kiwi said:

not trying to revive a dead topic. but would it be possible to port these all onto the steam workshop? I know these ships are mostly static, however for ambience reasons and such they would be more immersive for the Marine MEU realism groups out there. Thanks.

Nothing was released, so nothing can go on the steam workshop. 

Rather than breaking forum rules, next time perhaps PM the thread author.

No spam or advertising:

Advertising of any commercial or personal project, product or service on these forums is not permitted. Chain letters and pyramid schemes are similarly prohibited. This includes the Personal Message service and clan recruitment outside of the Clan Recruitment forum. Threads older than 4 months should not be dug up unless something significant is being added. Please do not post duplicate threads in more than one forum and do not "Bump" threads. Posting "any news", "is it out yet" or asking for a release date type posts are also spam.

Closing

• Like 1