Sign in to follow this  
Chairborne

Arma 2 Mi-8/Mi-17 Port

http://imageshack.com/a/img913/4592/IQh7Ho.png

http://imageshack.com/a/img909/711/BtRneH.png

http://imageshack.com/a/img908/3487/7jt24L.png

This is the first release of the Mi-8 port from Arma 2 Sample Files.

It is in usable conditions but it's far from being perfect.

With this addon you get all the Mi-8 and Mi-17 we had in Arma 2 Combined Ops in all the different camos and weaponry.

The main functions should work correctly, as in the helo flies fine, weapons work correctly, etc.

I also added collision and position lights, copilot seat works (although for some reason you can't switch from copilot to pilot seat), reflectors should work too.

You can find them under the 4 main factions (NATO, CSAT, AAF and CIVI) with the corresponding painting and variant for each one.

There are some problems i know of but couldn't solve right now (you can read them below).

I also plan to add working mirrors and make it compatible with the announced features in the upcoming DLC.

This is it for now, as always feedback is appreciated.

Also, since i was asked before, if you want to send me some reskins to add directly to this mod, feel free to do so.

HOWEVER i ask you this big courtesy to PLEASE send me a complete package with skins of at least acceptable quality.

I already have enough things to do, please don't force me to chase you around for YOUR material.

UPDATE 13/08/2014

This update should fix some of the most relevant problems.

Dead animations should work correctly now;

I found - and solved - a bug that prevented the pilot of the Mi-8MT to being shot and killed;

Armor value was raised within acceptable levels, i feel it's adequate to a helicopter of this kind;

Mirrors finally have PictureInPicture functionality;

Hitpoints SHOULD be fixed, i didn't spend too much time hangin' around and seeing how resistent they are (they all get damaged and destroyed though), they use standard BIS values so they should be in line with everything else.

I'm open to feedbacks and suggestions though.

I didn't really have time to go into detail with some of the minor features i was asked but i've added them to my list.

Addon is signed, inside the folder you can find the bikey too.

Known Problems:

RVMATs should be fine but i think i missed something, there is a chance some "hit" effects are wrong

There is no dead state animation for the crew, when i have time i'll consider replacing them with ones from A3, units still die when shot though

Mirrors don't have PIP for now, some don't have specular effects at all (and are kind of ugly)

HUD is broken, i'm keeping it for now and eventually fix it when i understand how it works

You can switch from pilot to copilot but not the other way around, you can still swap controls with no problems though

Credits

BIS - Models and original textures

Chairborne - Textures, and config

DISCLAIMER

For personal use only. Do not edit without permission. I claim no responsibility for any damages this addon may cause, use at your own risk.

Released under Arma Public License - read here for more information: http://www.bistudio.com/community/licenses/arma-public-license

Changelog

V0.1 - 05/08/2014

- Initial Release

V0.2 - 13/08/2014

- Fixed dead state animations

- Mi-8MT pilot not invulnerable to bullets anymore

- Increased armor values

- Added PIP mirrors to all variants

- Hitpoints now working correctly

You can find a classlist inside the readme file.

DL: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jw5gxkmuddqbgk0/%40Cha_Mi8.rar

Edited by Chairborne

Thanks for sending us the release :cool:

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Congrats on the release, its really good to see these helicopters in-game :)

Edited by deltagamer

This feeling of requesting a Mi8/17 port and seeing this come out less than 24 hours later...

This is a good day!

I thoroughly appreciate your work and future support of this mod!

Edited by Probad

I've played around with it a bit and so far 3 things have struck me: 1) it seems quite impervious to missiles, and systems don't appear as sensitive to damage as vanilla helis (it's either fine or it's going down in flames), 2) it's oddly aerobatic, being able to pitch through a loop fast enough to recover in less altitude than, say, a Blackfoot -- although in contrast, roll characteristics seems fine, and 3) it's quite stealthy (this might be because I'm using JSRS though where the Blackfoot is ironically the loudest heli).

Hope at least the damage model gets some attention in the near future!

Edited by Probad

connectTo[]=
		{
			"DeadState",
		};

use Unconscious instead, example

class RHS_KIA_SU25_Pilot: DefaultDie
	{
		file = AnimP\SU25PilotKIA.rtm;
		speed = 0.5;
		looped = 0;
		terminal = 1;
		soundEnabled = 0;
		connectTo[] = {"Unconscious",0.1};
	};

I've played around with it a bit and so far 3 things have struck me: 1) it seems quite impervious to missiles, and systems don't appear as sensitive to damage as vanilla helis (it's either fine or it's going down in flames), 2) it's oddly aerobatic, being able to pitch through a loop fast enough to recover in less altitude than, say, a Blackfoot -- although in contrast, roll characteristics seems fine, and 3) it's quite stealthy (this might be because I'm using JSRS though where the Blackfoot is ironically the loudest heli).

Hope at least the damage model gets some attention in the near future!

The flight parameters were unchanged from A2, i never noticed any evident flaw like being too maneuverable.

I'll compare it to the merlin and see if i can fix that.

As for the damage, maybe i missed something in the hitpoints.

I'll check that.

connectTo[]=
		{
			"DeadState",
		};

use Unconscious instead, example

class RHS_KIA_SU25_Pilot: DefaultDie
	{
		file = AnimP\SU25PilotKIA.rtm;
		speed = 0.5;
		looped = 0;
		terminal = 1;
		soundEnabled = 0;
		connectTo[] = {"Unconscious",0.1};
	};

Thank you very much!!! :rolleyes:

After some testing i'm pretty sure hitpoints don't work, as they still use the same naming from A2 (that is, in czech, while A3 uses english words).

I'll fix that for the next release.

The flight model on the other hand seems to be just in line with any other helicopter and the sounds are the EXACT same as the merlin (as a matter of fact that part of the config was shamelessly copypasted from there).

I don't think any fix is necessary for now, if i get some more feedback i'll consider going back to it on a later stage.

I'm also increasing the armor value, as any autocannon can blow up an Mi-8 with 4 or 5 accurate shots.

As for the countermeasures, the helos use the standard flares from A3.

They've always been able to evade missiles with incredible ease even before and as far as i could see that isn't caused by the helos but rather the flares themselves.

Long story short it's on BIS side of things i guess.

The flares are fine. For missile testing I just shot an empty hull on the ground with manpads in addition to shooting airborne ones with Cheetahs. On the groundtests the Mi-8 just doesn't take missile damage from any angle.

As you said though, it registers ballistic damage just fine.

And I agree, pitch rate and sounds aren't very high in priority. At least it doesn't do loops and rolls with 0 altitude loss!

Looking great, thanks for the mod!

Question though, as I can see a few posts up you mention it uses the A2 flight model, does this mean it has the same sliding bug found with the US Imported Helos? The A2 flight model would explain the odd pitch rates and such, same weirdness again happened with the US Helos.

Looking great, thanks for the mod!

Question though, as I can see a few posts up you mention it uses the A2 flight model, does this mean it has the same sliding bug found with the US Imported Helos? The A2 flight model would explain the odd pitch rates and such, same weirdness again happened with the US Helos.

I too noticed the sliding that occurred with the A2 helo imports occurs with this mod as well other than that id love the model and like how theirs Taikistan army variants it fly s remarkably well

@Chairborne to fix the sliding issue if you don't already know add this simulation = "helicopterX"; under the faction= BLU_F; in class YOURHELI_base:Helicopter

Hope this helps you bud :)

Whoa guys you got me worried for a second.

Simulation is fine!

It uses HelicopterX already (you can check from in-game config viewer).

I tested the helos enough and there was no sliding issue like the HAFM ones, ever.

If sliding occurs it's because you haven't landed correctly.

Keep in mind the front wheel sits lower so when you are at a full stop it's inclined with the front of the airframe higher.

My comment with "A2 flight model" is because there aren't any noticeable changes between A2 and A3 helicopter parameters in comparison to the ùbercool RotorLib flight model.

Habemus working mirrors!

Fumata bianca!!!

It may seem a stupidity but it really gives a lot that side mirrors, specially in a jewel like the mi8 :bounce3:

That is just a regular Mi-8 with the rear section literally cut off.

I'll consider it at a later stage, maybe when we have some more information on the shooting from vehicles thing.

I wonder if they're gonna support natively fastrope as well though.

If only it was a simple matter to paste the missile pods from the ACR Mi-17 onto the Taki Mi-8...

The Mi-171Sh is compatible with hiddenselections as far as i know.

If you want to provide me with working texture i'll add it in the next release.

That is just a regular Mi-8 with the rear section literally cut off.

I'll consider it at a later stage, maybe when we have some more information on the shooting from vehicles thing.

I wonder if they're gonna support natively fastrope as well though.

you know bi hired raven who was doing the lifter mod ? so one would think that it would be because of his sling load and fast roping scripting

What does compatible with hiddenselection mean?

Cant wait for the next version with fixed damage model!