Sign in to follow this  
jbryan

Fort Benning [ Terrain WIP]

New project I am working on here. Very very very rough out, and rough satellite image. The image is not final.

For sometime, I had an idea in my head, just really lack the knowledge to do it... (Still do) However, after reading somethings here and there, being an avid 3D Modeler, I decided to dig in and attempt something here.

Below is the image link for the Raw file work in progress...

The map obviously is going to be of a military base, fort benning ga, however it isn't going to be 100% accurate. The hills and what not are sculpted in, giving it a bit of definition, instead of simply just flat boring land. This map, if successfully done, will act as a training ground. It is more geared towards mil-sim units and others alike, that would rather train on something, rather than... Straits, Altis and so on, in which are lacking flatter land... Especially for weapons training and what not.

Regardless, I've successfully imported it into the terrain editor. Messing around with the configs and such, which seem to be a nightmare... Any help on this topic would be appreciated... I've successfully completed a mod several months ago... The campaign hat, which was too a bumpy road... I am not new at 3D modeling or anything, however I am new to modding and such. Again, any help is appreciated. Credit given, where due.

Image Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8zbm72l7ulausbf/Map_One.png

interesting! its great to see another terrain in progress. Roughly how big will the map be?

Arma 2 had a Fort Benning map which was quite popular.

Looking forward to this!

interesting! its great to see another terrain in progress. Roughly how big will the map be?

The dimensions I have set up are 2048 x 2048 so, whatever that equals out to for arma... I'd probably say 10Km x 10km or more? Though 10x10 sounds about right.

Arma 2 had a Fort Benning map which was quite popular.

Looking forward to this!

Yep, I saw that one, this one is focus on something a little different. While that one, focused on the ranges alone... This one will be the full out base. If you look at satellite images, I am trying to get it as close to it as that. Minus the on base housing and what not, as that isn't really relevant nor pertains to the game. I'll fill in the blanks with fillers/static buildings.

I've got a little bit of a road ahead of me, especially if these "tools" keep giving me problems, with no working properly. Though I plan to keep pushing through it and complete this terrain.

NICE!

I love such maps! Why? We have a mil-sim game (ok BI call it currently millitary sandbox) but we dont have a proper military base map for training purposes. There is one thing i love about americas army 3, the training course (the rest of this game is sadly bad) iam really missing that in arma. i hope you get this done ! and if you need fresh ideas go play the training missions in americas army 3.

We have a mil-sim game but we dont have a proper military base map for training purposes.

And what better location than the Home of the Infantry! :D

NICE!

I love such maps! Why? We have a mil-sim game (ok BI call it currently millitary sandbox) but we dont have a proper military base map for training purposes. There is one thing i love about americas army 3, the training course (the rest of this game is sadly bad) iam really missing that in arma. i hope you get this done ! and if you need fresh ideas go play the training missions in americas army 3.

Just gonna throw this out there but 29 palms is one of the best if not the best map that was made for Arma II It was gorgeous at the air field you could but the view distance up to 12000 and see the mountains in the distance. I hope that this turns out just as good.

I've reached a mile stone with this addon. Still have some errors, some errors within the configs, an error with the terrain when walking, produces some weird shadowing, almost like it darkens the terrain. A few other minor little errors. Though needless to say, it works in the game. Attached is an image of the map, inside the game. This is still very very raw and rough. No trees, buildings, roads or anything yet.

http://i.imgur.com/ftJIGQw.jpg?1 (271 kB)

Cancelled project. This project is cancelled due to the lack of the arma tools cooperating with me... Maybe I am a noob, maybe I am not... Dunno, I been 3D modeling for years and such and the tools that we have at our hands, are just blah. With no documentation at all, things just cannot be done. If someone would like to pick up the slack on this mod... Let me know, I will gladly handover my assets to you.

Cancelled project. This project is cancelled due to the lack of the arma tools cooperating with me... Maybe I am a noob, maybe I am not... Dunno, I been 3D modeling for years and such and the tools that we have at our hands, are just blah. With no documentation at all, things just cannot be done. If someone would like to pick up the slack on this mod... Let me know, I will gladly handover my assets to you.

With the Arma tools it's always a losing battle sad to see this cancelled.

With the Arma tools it's always a losing battle sad to see this cancelled.

Yep, as am I... I may revisit it a little later... Though right now, my patience is very thin with it. Most of it, however is within the configs it's self... I am no coder, not by a long shot. I can mod those up here and there, however writing stuff from scratch, is a no go sadly.

Edited by JBryan