PAL-18

Bad Vehicle Sync

On my server, sometimes vehicles that players drive don't sync to the passenger. I tested this with just myself and 1 other player in the server.

When he drove, i desync'd once but when i drove, he said i desync'd most of the time.

Any idea what causes this and how i can fix it? My server is the only one running on the machine (see specs below):

Processor: Intel Xeon E3 1225v2

Cores/Threads: 4 cores/ 4 threads

Frequency: 3.2 GHz+

RAM: 32 GB DDR3

Disks: 120 GB SSD

Network connection: 1Gbps

Edited by PAL-18

1. High ping/low bandwidth from one of the clients in the vehicle
  2. Mission specific, eg only occurs on 1 mission or a set of missions created using the same template
  3. Badly configured server.cfg ( bandwidth settings )
  4. VR Engine issue

Ah thanks, gotta play with the values then...

Before you go messing with your server, it might be worth looking at what mods your running. If you're running without any mods, then you can ignore this.

Mods and the golden rule

Any mod that persists information on the network must be running on all clients - the server is a client too.

What does this mean?

If you're running a mod that gives you new weapons or uniforms, all players must have that mod and so must the server.

But it works already, why do I need to do that?

Because any machine without the mods running will start spamming their log files about the missing mods.

What has this got to do with desync?

Any client (including the server) that is wasting processing time writing to the log has less capacity to keep the game running smoothly - hence desync.

Before you go messing with your server, it might be worth looking at what mods your running. If you're running without any mods, then you can ignore this.

Mods and the golden rule

Any mod that persists information on the network must be running on all clients - the server is a client too.

What does this mean?

If you're running a mod that gives you new weapons or uniforms, all players must have that mod and so must the server.

But it works already, why do I need to do that?

Because any machine without the mods running will start spamming their log files about the missing mods.

What has this got to do with desync?

Any client (including the server) that is wasting processing time writing to the log has less capacity to keep the game running smoothly - hence desync.

I just have 1 mod (Arma Server Monitor) and 2 server keys for mods (Crosshair Fix + Map Texture Remover). Could these still cause problems?

Oddly, the server FPS never dropped below 45 when we were both in the car so i don't understand why its so optimized.

P.S. I got the vehicle sync partially fixed (no more drifting) but as a vehicle turns, my passenger see's it wiggling back and forth. Is this fixable?

Edited by PAL-18

MinBandwidth = 107374182;

MaxBandwidth = 1073741824;

MaxMsgSend = 1792;

MaxSizeGuaranteed = 894;

MaxSizeNonguaranteed = 416;

MinErrorToSend = 0.002;

MinErrorToSendNear = 0.02;

MaxSizeGuaranteed & MaxSizeNonguaranteed are typically average values seen so you should be okay with those

MaxMsgSend in my opinion is way too high, try playing around with values between 6-900

MinErrorToSend & MinErrorToSendNear are good,

You could double them to .004 and .04 respectively or reduce them to their default values

I run 50 player coop servers and we use

MaxMsgSend=768;

MaxSizeGuaranteed=800;

MaxSizeNonguaranteed=400;

MinErrorToSendNear=0.04;

MinErrorToSend=0.004;

Oh wow, thanks for the tips. I'll definitely try them.

I managed to get the vehicle wiggling down to its minimum with the following settings:

MaxMsgSend = 900;

MaxSizeGuaranteed = 894;

MaxSizeNonguaranteed = 416;

MinErrorToSend = 0.004;

MinErrorToSendNear = 0.04;

Edited by PAL-18